DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Casey Neistat's 2nd Mavic

The Mav is unusually stable. It just sits there and it's a lot quieter. My one problem is the home button on the iPhone is difficult to hit while it's in the arms, but that's no big deal at all.

I thought about cutting out a section of the left arm that holds the phone in place to get better access. Maybe I'll try it next year if mine ever shows up

Reactions: Jixxer
Casey obviously fly's where ever he wants. Look at his new Mavic vid...took a few laps around Statue of Liberty. I'm sure that's not legal. He has some great London vid as well when he GQ award. Pretty sure that was a rogue flight as well. I've actually asked him bout his flying on his Vlog. Hasn't answered.

Really? So you know how much money he makes then? In that case, what would you consider okay for him to get paid?

As for the other jobs, well I can only say that life´s not fair. But at the end, he makes only what the market is willing to pay him anyway.

And yes, it´s up to DJI to decide who gets the Mavic for free and when. It´s their call as marketing and advertising stratregies go.

I know nothing about flying in Manhattan so I can´t speculate. There are so many no-NFZ and yet ppl come and tell me I should not fly for this or that reason, that´s just society trying to get to terms with a new technology which it is afraid of - it´s a grey zone most of the times.

Easy now, you seem to get very upset, i understand that you are one of Casey´s big fans, but no need to get upset.
Are you joking, even questioning why i think he makes to much money? It´s no secret that he makes a lot of money, very much money. So believe me what he makes is a ton more than what is deserved for the job he does.
And who has said that life is fair, not me. I said there are thousands of jobs that should pay more than the "job" he does, i.e. recording his life on a skateboard and then editing the video and put it on Youtube.
Yeah yeah, its hard work recording and editing videos, but not that hard work that its worth the money he makes.

Easy now, you seem to get very upset, i understand that you are one of Casey´s big fans, but no need to get upset.
Are you joking, even questioning why i think he makes to much money? It´s no secret that he makes a lot of money, very much money. So believe me what he makes is a ton more than what is deserved for the job he does.
And who has said that life is fair, not me. I said there are thousands of jobs that should pay more than the "job" he does, i.e. recording his life on a skateboard and then editing the video and put it on Youtube.
Yeah yeah, its hard work recording and editing videos, but not that hard work that its worth the money he makes.

Why do you assume that his YouTube videos are his only job? You do realize that he also owns several companies and has an established filmmaking career?

If you follow his channel you'll also realize that quite a large portion of his videos feature no (zip, zero, none) advertising...which means he makes just about exactly $0 on those videos.

What I don't understand is how naive some people are, the trick in good story telling is telling a good story..
What you see is what he wants you to see, not what may or may not have actually happened.

If he thinks there's value in making it look like something happened, he will of course make it that way - that's the art. And he happens to be good at it - hence the impotent rage of some people who assume that all on film is absolutely what really happened...[/QUOT
Casey obviously fly's where ever he wants. Look at his new Mavic vid...took a few laps around Statue of Liberty. I'm sure that's not legal. He has some great London vid as well when he GQ award. Pretty sure that was a rogue flight as well. I've actually asked him bout his flying on his Vlog. Hasn't answered.

Exactly, he has done it in several videos. Very strange that the authorities has not contacted him like they have done with other people?
Either way his ways of flying can affect all people that fly drones in the US by
Why do you assume that his YouTube videos are his only job? You do realize that he also owns several companies and has an established filmmaking career?

If you follow his channel you'll also realize that quite a large portion of his videos feature no (zip, zero, none) advertising...which means he makes just about exactly $0 on those videos.

Yes but i obviously mean the money he makes from Youtube from his daily vlog. If he makes money from movies and even from Youtube thats okay, i would like money for my videos as well. What I'm saying is that i think he is making a good bit moore money than what i personally think is worth for the job he does with these Youtube videos, especially considered most really hard jobs pays a not good salary.

A good rule of thumb is $1000 for every million views. He makes enough to live comfortably. I'm not hating, though.

Yeah, pretty much. $1 to $1.50 per 1,000 views is a good rough estimate.

A good rule of thumb is $1000 for every million views. He makes enough to live comfortably. I'm not hating, though.

You're missing the point. If you have 2 million views on a YouTube video and you're not monetized (meaning, there are no ads in your video), then you make absolutely nothing.... zip, zero, zilch, nada.

If you watch his channel you'll notice that very many of his videos are not monetized....so he makes no revenue from them whatsoever. Some of them do have ads, so he gets paid on those for sure....but the larger majority are NOT monetized.

Every video I have ever seen from him is monetized.

EDIT: starting a few years back.

1. I'm not the least bit upset. You seem to be upset by his (allegedly) making lots of money doing an easy dream job. I'm 100% cool about that and couldn't care less about his or anyone else's finances ;)

2. I'm not his fan; don't even follow him! In all honesty, only knew about him 3 or 4 weeks ago. You assume too much... LOL

3. It's no secret blablabla... You didn't answer my question. Because you have no idea how much he makes from his vlogging. So again you're assuming things - and hating him based on this speculation.

4. If you think that's easy and you'd like to make money from recording videos on a skateboard, why don't you do it too? ;)

Every video I have ever seen from him is monetized.

EDIT: starting a few years back.

He monetized only recently.

In fact, if you go back a year or so, he does a video of him showing his YouTube account revenue page.

And for the record I think it's totally fair that he gets paid a lot. Think about it....the season finale of Walking Dead last season had 8 million viewers in the 18-49 year old age group. The finale of Game of Thrones last season had barely 8 million viewers, total! Imagine how much it cost to have a commercial for your company during that time slot??? Casey gets 5 million views on some of his videos....DAILY! So he gets 2/3rd the viewers of arguably the biggest television shows in the world, every single time he puts out a video. Why shouldn't that advertising space in his videos be worth that much??

One man, with a camera and an electric skateboard, captivates the same size audience as the two biggest TV shows on network television, and does it daily?

Give credit where credit is due. The dude's a genius.

1. I'm not the least bit upset. You seem to be upset by his (allegedly) making lots of money doing an easy dream job. I'm 100% cool about that and couldn't care less about his or anyone else's finances ;)

2. I'm not his fan; don't even follow him! In all honesty, only knew about him 3 or 4 weeks ago. You assume too much... LOL

3. It's no secret blablabla... You didn't answer my question. Because you have no idea how much he makes from his vlogging. So again you're assuming things - and hating him based on this speculation.

4. If you think that's easy and you'd like to make money from recording videos on a skateboard, why don't you do it too? ;)

Why don't i do it...because i have a real job to take care of.

Why i don't tell you how much he makes, does it matter in exact numbers how much he makes? Its enough to know that he makes a lot of money, note the words a lot. There has already been some numbers posted if you promptly need a number. So do the math yourself.

I don't care much about other peoples finances either, i just stated that i think he earns too much for the "job" he makes, thats my personal opinion, but you immediately seemed to get defensive and upset.

Last edited:
No, I didn't. Neither. I'm just being coherent. Actions and words. I didn't bring that up, you did - and exactly because it upsets you, as you made clear a few times.

Now, you're absolutely entitled to have and above all express your opinion. I respect that. But the fact remains that this thread is (or was...) about judging his WORK, not his JOB or whether it's fair or easy or even "real". Big difference.

I consider anything else than his PRODUCTION not up to me to judge or criticize. But if you believe it's up to you then fair enough, all the best! ;)

Well maybe its not easy etc. to be a Youtube star, but for the money he makes i would say that he is making a bit more than i would consider okay for the job he does.
I can think of hundreds of jobs that should pay much more than being a Youtube star, unfortunately that is not the case.

See...I kind of think that YOU make more money than your job warrants.

I get tired of people trying to decide how much people should get paid for doing a job that they know absolutely nothing about. In the entertainment biz, the public get to decide that. The public has spoken. Casey deserves his income.

Reactions: AlexSP
See...I kind of think that YOU make more money than your job warrants.

I get tired of people trying to decide how much people should get paid for doing a job that they know absolutely nothing about. In the entertainment biz, the public get to decide that. The public has spoken. Casey deserves his income.

Exaclty. See my example of why, above...

Casey Neistat's 2nd Mavic

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78