DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CAUTION - ARRIS XL Landing Skid for Mavic Pro

Spanishcop

Reactions
So I purchased this landing skid which I'll be very honest I really liked it a lot. It worked great and cushions the landing on top of keeping Mavic Off the ground a little more than it was.

I got to use the Mavic with this Landing Skid approximately 4 times before I noticed something was wrong.

The rear is held very secure "awesome job" for that. The front has a plastic snap which appeared raised up like it was barely glued or cheaply made. I purchased it from iRepairMD LLC. So it wasn't purchased from an off site.

CAUTION.... So while taking off I did an auto take off. Because the snap had broke... The front part of the skid was dangling. I did not notice this when I put it on. I was pushing down on remote stick but Mavic kept Climbing UP.

I held stick down and nothing was happening. Eventually I got it to land. Apparently when it un-snapped it blocked sensors causing mavic to think it wasn't off the ground yet during lift off and continued to climb with no response.

Maybe this would have been different if I would of Done a "manual" take off.

SOOOOO... I contacted the developer iRepairMD LLC and requested replacement or refund. I sent 2 emails with no response. I called the number they have on their website and it was a Google Number. So far there has been no attempt from iRepairMD LLC to contact me back and I had to open a claim with PayPal.

I will update with outcome results. I hope they back their product after paying $37 for this thing. I really liked it but not for 4 uses.

Now comes the 10 day waiting process from PayPal for merchant to respond to resolve this SIGH.

HAS ANYONE ELSE USED THIS SKID AND HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH IT OR CONTACTING DEVELOPER?

Pictures....
6574a37a3be09f51d08f9e712b837111.jpg

33adcc6c1d9e50822d138948e7d28ad6.jpg

Thanks,
Mike

I had one Arris as well. I did notice that that clip is too weak so I always install the first part and then the two rear clips... and when about to remove the oposite way... removing the two rear clips and then front clip. It has a bad design. Front clip seems and you proved that's the weak spot. They can add more plastic there to make it stiffer but...

I loved the cushion and how it looks but now I have it I think it is too expensive for that problem and also because the finish is like it was made using a really cheap 3D Printer. I have purchased some other Mavic Accessories using 3D Printers and this one has the worst finish out there.

Reactions: Spanishcop
I also had a problem of controll. Took off ok to 360feet then I could not come down, I pushed the left stick down and the Mavic works only descend about a meter every 20 seconds and I started to worry that this would take to much time to land and the battery mite decay to zero by the time it landed!
It also went into auto landing and I could not stop the landing.

It took almost 17 minutes to land and I had 14% battery left.

I really did not know what to think. Tried to downgrade from .900 to .700 and same issue, then I upgraded to .800 and the same issue would come and go.

Later today, I took off the landing skid, problem solved.

Are you guys seeing this same issue too? It sounds like you all are experiencing this same issue.

Sound similar?

Let me know your thoughts.

As of today, scrap the skid.

Best regards,
Steve

So I purchased this landing skid which I'll be very honest I really liked it a lot. It worked great and cushions the landing on top of keeping Mavic Off the ground a little more than it was.

I got to use the Mavic with this Landing Skid approximately 4 times before I noticed something was wrong.

The rear is held very secure "awesome job" for that. The front has a plastic snap which appeared raised up like it was barely glued or cheaply made. I purchased it from iRepairMD LLC. So it wasn't purchased from an off site.

CAUTION.... So while taking off I did an auto take off. Because the snap had broke... The front part of the skid was dangling. I did not notice this when I put it on. I was pushing down on remote stick but Mavic kept Climbing UP.

I held stick down and nothing was happening. Eventually I got it to land. Apparently when it un-snapped it blocked sensors causing mavic to think it wasn't off the ground yet during lift off and continued to climb with no response.

SOOOOO... I contacted the developer iRepairMD LLC and requested replacement or refund. I sent 2 emails with no response. I called the number they have on their website and it was a Google Number. So far there has been no attempt from iRepairMD LLC to contact me back and I had to open a claim with PayPal.

I will update with outcome results. I hope they back their product after paying $37 for this thing. I really liked it but not for 4 uses.

Now comes the 10 day waiting process from PayPal for merchant to respond to resolve this SIGH.

HAS ANYONE ELSE USED THIS SKID AND HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH IT OR CONTACTING DEVELOPER?

Pictures....

Thanks,
Mike
i bought this aswell and same thing. the guy did say he would post me a redesign but still waiting im in uk, did say he could do colours aswell. wasnt cheap either,i also knew it was a 3d print but never thought it would be so brittle. i just hope the guy is honest and follows threw with what he said, will let you know.

I highly recommend the FSlabs landing gear extensions from Amazon, they fit perfectly, are secure, they don't block the sensors, and they match the finish of the Mavic perfectly: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N9FANRQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1504439950&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=mavic+landing+gear&dpPl=1&dpID=51kSQJCvkdL&ref=plSrch&tag=mavicpilots-20&th=1&psc=1

If you insist on a 3D printed part make sure they are printing working parts in PETG or at least ABS - PLA is too brittle for functional working parts, PETG is ideal due to its flexibility and water resistance but ABS would also be suitable. Small clips, latches, etc. don't work well in PLA because it doesnt have the flexibility needed for that type of part.

-Joe

Reactions: GregTheGreat
I filed a complaint with PayPal on mine after they would not contact me back. Paypal got no response either and I was given a credit. Best of luck....

PayPal wanted me to send proof that I returned product. I told them I already paid for the item and the merchant can pay for a label to send it back. That I was not going to lose money on a part that was defective. The company apparently did not respond to paypal on that either.

That company is all about selling and 0 customer service. Atleast my experience.

Reactions: GregTheGreat
Just an observation:

Looking at this landing "pad", there's a lot of mass hanging below and extending out from the MP.
I would bet, if an aeronautical engineer looked at this thing he would note that the down wash of the all 4 props is hitting this thing with a lot of force.
The MP design is relatively aerodynamic, and same goes for the arms holding the props. This "airfoil" is evident in the sidewalls of the MP and the arms. I'll bet noise is increased also.

Just a thought, it looks like there would be a disruption of airflow. I'm all ears if I'm off base here

skids.jpg

Pictures....

Thanks,
Mike
Tthere seems to be a facebook with the same email name but one digit difference just wondering if it the same people?? [email protected]
IRepairMD

<[email protected]> email i recieved from

I also have this same issue with this original version of the ARRIS XL Landing Skid for Mavic Pro. i purchased it back in Feb 2017..

I have two Mavic's now, the first one was rock solid, then i think the combination of the original SKID and the earlier DJI firmware, never a problem. But back in July, with all the new DJI firmware that introduced the DJI Goggles, i started to see this descend problem.
I did not realize it was the skid so i send my Mavic to DJI for debug and or repair at the beginning of August. As this Mavic as at DJI for repair, and i also got a notice that DJI was replacing some board, i thought that this was the Mavic and not the SKID. Not true, why, i had to purchase a NEW Mavic fast for a project and i reused the skid and would you know it, it did the same thing to this new Mavic.

So the story is, i sent back my first Mavic and nothing was wrong with it! Just last week, DJI sent me repair statement and said my unit was covered under warranty and they are sending me a different Mavic under a different serial number. So i think DJI only recycles Mavic's. FYI.

So after all of this and i am still waiting return of my replacement Mavic, i decided to MILL OUT the current skid and retest.

Here is a picture of the milling out making the side diameter wider and more away from the downward sensors. See photo and used thin tape to tape the front of the skid to the Mavic, It now works just fine.

Conclusion: i think DJI must have changed the sensitivity of the downward sensors in resent firmware. It's just a guess but since i have flown a hundred hours with this first Mavic and with the original UN-modified skid, but i always taped the front because the little tab is not good enough to keep locked in, i never had issues before.

Hope this information helps!
Best regards,
Steve

Attachments

• SKID.jpg
    SKID.jpg
    669.6 KB · Views: 62
I just saw this thread when doing a search for retailers for this newer design set of skids from Arris. YouTube video

Yep! I had to scrap my skids on both my Mavic Birds after trying to file off the skid material from the sensors but it did not help.

Back to the basic Mavic with no skids and all is A-Ok!

Hope this info helps..
Best regards,
Steve

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1