DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Changing out props.

jaysrmc

Reactions
I know others have talked about this some say they have never changed props but with all these prop failures floating around. I am curious when folks change them if they have never hit anything? Surely folding them under and folding them in puts some wear and tear as well..

Is it a good rule of thumb to replace them after 50 flights? 25? My props have been on mine since August and I am starting to think it is time to replace them..

The best rule of thumb is to carefully inspect your props for damage prior to each flight. Replace any props that appear to be damaged. If your props strike anything solid, it would also be a good idea to replace them.

I have used mine for 6 months with no problems (other than a few minor crashes!)

The props can probably swing out and back 1000 times without wearing out the mechanism. The Achilles Heels in the props are the tabs that hold it on to the motor. If one tab is broken, chances are the prop's going to come flying off.

As part of my preflight, I slowly push and turn the props on and feel for the "pop" when it slides into the groove. Then I know it's locked. Over time, the prop hub tabs will become worn, and then not pop as crisply into the grooves as they used to. When you are able to slide them into the groove, and then turn them at all when they are in the groove, it's time to replace the prop.

when i went to dji shenzhen hq to purchase a new set of plat props when they were first released, i asked the staff when i should replace them and was told if i see any sign of wear and tear (obviously) or after 300 flights BUT it’s china so the info i’ve given (although he seemed to know what he’s talking about) may not be a fact.

I change them when/if they are damaged. I still have original props on my Phantom 2, so... about 5 years now and still going strong.

one thing I'd like to add is that I never store my mavic with the props on. I believe having those springs on the motors always in the compressed possession will wear them out quickly where they no longer provide outward resistance. I could be wrong, but I know every spring comes to the end of its useful life.

one thing I'd like to add is that I never store my mavic with the props on. I believe having those springs on the motors always in the compressed possession will wear them out quickly where they no longer provide outward resistance. I could be wrong, but I know every spring comes to the end of its useful life.

Don't quote me on this one but I think a spring wears out by the the action of compressing/decompressing them, however if is constantly compressed/decompressed it wont wear out, could be wrong though.

Instead you have the wear and tear of constantly putting the props on and taking them off, as well as the added risk of not seating one properly.

Don't quote me on this one but I think a spring wears out by the the action of compressing/decompressing them, however if is constantly compressed/decompressed it wont wear out, could be wrong though.

I'm no engineer, but I'm pretty sure it's both. Just take out any spring out of a click pen, measure it, andd clamp it to a compressed state for some time, maybe a week. Then release the clamp, let the spring sit for a day, and then measure it. I bet it will be shorter.

Instead you have the wear and tear of constantly putting the props on and taking them off, as well as the added risk of not seating one properly.

I thought about that one, but even if true, a set of props is what, like $20-$30, and easily replaceable, while putting in new springs (not sure what their cost is), will require some knowledge and skill, and for some if not most, will mean shipping out your Mavic to a repair service.

I personally am very careful putting the props in, trying not to rub any parts against each other, and checking that they're seated in all the way. I'm not saying everyone should do it, but Mavic hasn't been around long enough for people to comment on those springs wearing out; I bet they will.

I'd like to edit my original post: I don't believe the springs will wear out "quickly", but sooner or later I bet they will.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aidiophilifix