DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Changing photo resolution

RSD1982

Reactions
I took the photo below with my M3P. The exif data reports it as a 9MP photo. I thought the M3P had a 48mp camera. I haven’t seen a setting to change resolutions. Help?

Attachments

• F32509DD-CBF7-42AF-A1AC-D26A46693E1B.jpeg
    F32509DD-CBF7-42AF-A1AC-D26A46693E1B.jpeg
    570.4 KB · Views: 32
the mp3 doesn't shoot square format, does it?? If I'm correct in thinking it does not then that is a crop from an image and hence the 9mp? If you look at the files straight off the microSD card I think you would find them to be full resolution.

Last edited:
the mp3 doesn't shoot square format, does it?? If I'm correct in thinking it does not then that is a crop from an image and hence the 9mp? If you look at the files straight off the microSD card I think you would find them to be full resolution.
It’s a 4:3 photo but is cropped only because when using an iPhone you slide up to see exif data and it zooms in.

It’s a 4:3 photo but is cropped only because when using an iPhone you slide up to see exif data and it zooms in.
It's obviously not a 4:3 image.
If it was 4:3, the aspect ratio would be 4032 x 3024

The resolution is 4032 x 2268 = 9MP ... aspect ratio= 16:9

I would still suggest checking the image on the card and report back. Not sure what might have happened between it and what you show now.

I took the photo below with my M3P. The exif data reports it as a 9MP photo. I thought the M3P had a 48mp camera. I haven’t seen a setting to change resolutions. Help?
Do you have the setting set at 4:3 or 16:9? If in 16:9 mode, it would be 12mp. it's a 12mp camera, and I don't really understand the selling point of it being 48mp. I'm also thinking resolution is reduced when transferring to the phone instead of reading from the card
  • 4:3: 8064×6048 (48 MP), 4032×3024 (12 MP)
    16:9: 4032×2268 (12 MP)

my bad I was not reading carefully and took this to be mavic 3 but you meant Mini3 pro of course. When you choose Photo there is an option...I forget the name... to shoot that 48mp image. It does not do so by default. It is still the 12MP sensor but it uses 'binning' to essentially break up each sensor diode into four parts and thus calls it 48MP but it's really 12mp with some fancy trickery. This can explain it better than I. Pixel binning

Reactions: RSD1982
Th
Do you have the setting set at 4:3 or 16:9? If in 16:9 mode, it would be 12mp. it's a 12mp camera, and I don't really understand the selling point of it being 48mp. I'm also thinking resolution is reduced when transferring to the phone instead of reading from the card
    16:9: 4032×226
    16:9: 4032×2268 (12 MP)
The mini 3 has a 12MP camera. The mini 3 Pro has a 48MP camera. It’s one of the main selling points. That and obstacle sensors and 4K 60fps video.

BTW...I never bother with it and here is why....Mini 3 Pro 48mp and the bottom line is to not bother unless the light is really quite good and even then... Personally I think it is disingenuous to call it 48MP.

Th

The mini 3 has a 12MP camera. The mini 3 Pro has a 48MP camera. It’s one of the main selling points. That and obstacle sensors and 4K 60fps video.
I understand that. But the sensor is the same on both cameras, correct? just that the mini 3 pro maybe have software imbedded that will increase pixels. I took mine out the other day... took a photo 4:3 12mp and a 4:3 48mp. These were in JPG since I don't believe M3P produces a 48mp in RAW. I saw a little difference mostly in size of photo. Took the 4:3 12mp shot and put it in topaz Gigapixel and doubled the size. Photo came out much sharper, more contrast, better overall.
So, my conclusion is that its not a true 48mp camera, but software enhanced which is much better done in post processing and not inside the drone camera

BTW...I never bother with it and here is why....Mini 3 Pro 48mp and the bottom line is to not bother unless the light is really quite good and even then... Personally I think it is disingenuous to call it 48MP.
That was an interesting read, certainly not something I’d looked into before purchasing the drone. Thank you. Seems a bit devious on the part of DJI. Think I’ll stick to 12MP shots then! Presumably, since the sensor is the same, the mini 3 is capable of 4K 60fps as well, it’ll just be a software setting that’s not enabled. I’m sure someone will hack that soon!

Still, the obstacle avoidance is certainly worth the money!

That was an interesting read, certainly not something I’d looked into before purchasing the drone. Thank you. Seems a bit devious on the part of DJI. Think I’ll stick to 12MP shots then! Presumably, since the sensor is the same, the mini 3 is capable of 4K 60fps as well, it’ll just be a software setting that’s not enabled. I’m sure someone will hack that soon!

Still, the obstacle avoidance is certainly worth the money!
I think it is -very- devious to put it mildly but it is a common practice to use binning and then call it 48mp or whatever. It’s definitely a standard advertising ploy.

Reactions: JeffreyS

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661