DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Chinese drones are spying on Americans

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think that certain people are your enemy, why do you buy goods from them?
I imagine being UK based you have greater concerns than DJIs entity list status, but even down here in AU, where China is regularly rattling the sabre, the US DJI action seems perplexing.
China has not been keeping a low profile recently, with continually escalating AU import tarrifs, belt and road initiatives, South China Sea prefab islands, Indian border skirmishes, and the recent agreement to open a 'fishing' port in PNG, however the US placement of this Chinese company on the entity list is quite bizarre.
If it is triggered by the use of DJI drones for surveillance in Chinese detention camps, where would you stop with those sanctions? If you were serious about human rights you would be placing sanctions on drone usage across the board, not directing that at a single company - though I do not expect that would fit the agenda.

The U.S. is literally assassinating people by drone. There is nothing worse than that.
Do you mean there is nothing worse than state sponsored assassination or using a drone to do it as opposed to say using poison or gunshot?

Drones as a security concern... would only be minimally concerning if the other devices were even considered. Since there not, makes this whole security issue more political for market than anything.

Consider the density of drones, the time airborne, frequency airborne, avg camera on retail or prosumer drones normally wide angle and the visual access to various sensitive zones... not many USA Citizens breaching No Fly Zones or Sensitive sectors... how many fly the National Parks now, how many fly over a Military Base and travel inward to the Hangers... not many.

Then consider the cell phones being carried by millions, carried everywhere... rarely limited. The number of photos & videos recording practically every inch from street level, skyscraper, or point blank in ft of items taking a tour or guided through buildings, bases, etc. How many are within a National Park and filming? How many are on a Military Base with phone in hand... about 99.999% more than Drones!

Add in the thousands of TV’s mounted in conference rooms, executive offices, govt chambers, etc... connected to various media services indicating directly connected to data service... and no, Govt doesn’t block all external traffic at the Gateways... Netflix, Amazon, YouTube available to VIP, Exec, Mgmt, Judicial, etc.

Add in Newer Autos... with all the Cameras, LiDAR, GPS, Sat Systems... all functional without Driver interaction.

Security cameras on business & homes storing all data on cloud storage... hard to access? Depends on Whom, Security Access, and SW Developer.

Could go on with much more plausible 24x7 sources of image security concerns than drones powered up for 15 minutes 3-6 times a week.

Don’t hear TV’s needing to be Banned, Phones Banned, etc, even with much more density, connectivity and usage across the Country.

Several indicate video transferred to Chinese Servers... incorrect and just not accurate... and zero evidence ever presented that supports it other than Media hype!

Ever transfer your video from drone to tablet... notice how long it takes. Most remove card to other device or USB cable... both are external to DJI’s ability to route.

While all this, last month the proposed Ban on DJI and other drones by Federal Govt was Rejected and not passed. (mentioned in other post).

The recent Media Hype on DJI Blacklisted... suggested couldn’t buy or use DJI... all Hype. Blacklist simplified basically states USA companies can not provide technology “TO” DJI... which isn’t currently happening, DJI pretty much develops their own. Again, more political posturing than impactful to market or consumer.
Well said . . and completely agree. . .the hype over DJI is just "News HYPE", an easy target that obscures the reality of contemporary technology . . thanks for filling in just some of the reality so we can ignore this made-up boogie man

Blacklist simplified basically states USA companies can not provide technology “TO” DJI.
Even that’s not correct if you go to the government site which details the Entity List conditions. US companies are not necessarily prohibited outright from selling to organisations on the list, they just have to apply for permission to do so.

Last edited:
Even that’s not correct if you go to the government site which details the Entity List conditions. US companies are not necessarily prohibited outright from selling to organisations on the list, they just have to apply for permission to do so.
That's correct, I was touching on briefly at tail of lengthy post... true, if the US Company takes action they can modify specifically for their relationship.

Which adds to the stupidity of the action... limit an action not being readily performed, and allow exceptions for those requesting.

That Bucket doesn't hold water! :rolleyes:

Reactions: maelstrom
They talk about infrastructure all they have to do is go on Google maps and bring up satellite view

They talk about infrastructure all they have to do is go on Google maps and bring up satellite view
So then there is really no reason for any country or place to ban photography of any structure anywhere?

The google images are updated what every 1 to 3 years?

Plus there is BING and now Microsoft Simulator imagery of the entire globe constantly being updated . . want to see the Wenchang Space launch complex in China
1609109708460.png

Maybe you are only interested in the "Oxidizer Bldg" at Wenchang . . or the layout of the power grid that feeds one on the launch pads . . if you wanted to "do something" there. The information is there for everyone without having to comb through your sister's wedding photos in Idaho . . get over it!
1609110118179.png

Attachments

• 1609110093065.png
    1609110093065.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
want to see the Wenchang Space launch complex in China?

Not really. I would be way more interested in seeing video or photos taken from a police or military drone conducting surveillance operations in China. Can you get those off the internet?

want to see the Wenchang Space launch complex in China?

Not really. I would be way more interested in seeing video or photos taken from a police or military drone conducting surveillance operations in China. Can you get those off the internet?
You and I can't but I'm sure NSA can. . . but that has nothing to do with banning DJI product. I can prevent my DJI or anyone (maybe even NSA) from receiving any DATA by using LDM (Local Data Mode) of simply turning off the Wifi while flying. Yes they are still collecting some basic location and performance data and times etc (Summary of details here by UAV Coach) and knowing the location keeps irresponsible flyers from even starting in a restricted location . . so you won't get to even start the DJI within 3 miles without having SOMEONE know you are trying to break the FAA restrictions. . . then maybe read this by Douglas Bush . . independent AMERICAN signals analysis on how safe your precious data is using LDM. Yes this was done before Mavic Enterprise was launched so if you are still freaked out call them or hire them yourself . .this after US Army freaked out about their "Cyber Vulnerabilities"

Personally I think everyone.s "security" is just way too focused on the wrong area . . maybe even the wrong country . . Call Snowdon and ask him.

Reactions: ecolier
Yes they are still collecting some basic location and performance data and times etc ... and knowing the location keeps irresponsible flyers from even starting in a restricted location . . so you won't get to even start the DJI within 3 miles without having SOMEONE know you are trying to break the FAA restrictions
I can't see anything in what you referred to to support this.
Yes, the app records lots of flight data.
But no, it doesn't go to DJI unless you choose to send it to DJI.

The drone knows where the drone is and where NFZ areas are.
The drone compares these and the fly/no fly decision is inside your drone without any communication to DJI.

Do you agree with this statement?
YES! . . if you live in the world and you can be SEEN . . and / or HEARD . . anyone can record that, if they have the equipment to receive and store your electromagnetic representation. If you do not want it to be known that you exist . . . CLOAK. . . it's a free country.

I can't see anything in what you referred to to support this.
Yes, the app records lots of flight data.
But no, it doesn't go to DJI unless you choose to send it to DJI.

The drone knows where the drone is and where NFZ areas are.
The drone compares these and the fly/no fly decision is inside your drone without any communication to DJI.
Read KIVU (Doug Bush) report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13