DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Class B Uncertainty

I can help you with understanding the charts, but I'm new to flying drones myself. My home is within the Class B around Orlando, and I spoke to the tower today. They said that as long as you're responsible, and don't go near traffic, they are fine. (Below 400 feet, and away from the approach/departure paths.)

The letter of the law states that you must call the tower each time you take off within 5 miles of the airport. But the Ops manager at my airport doesn't want that. My opinion is, give the airport in question a call, and work it out with them. The tower was really comfortable with me because they knew I'm an airline pilot. Study the airspace, and know where the issues are.

If you want to facetime or something to go over the aeronautical charts, I'm happy to do that.

Reactions: Springerdog1
I think you gave me my answer. I will call the tower tomorrow. I will see what assistance I get from the tower and then may take you up on your offer to read the chart. The area that I want to fly in is about 8.5 miles from the runway of KPHX and about 8 miles from KSDL. Even the helicopter traffic is way above 400 ft. So if you get a class B warning but are outside of the 5 miles radius technically would that be OK? I can't even imagine the sheer volume calls the tower would get if everyone who was flying a drone in their backyard called for every flight! I appreciate the help.

Reactions: timtjohnson
I think you gave me my answer. I will call the tower tomorrow. I will see what assistance I get from the tower and then may take you up on your offer to read the chart. The area that I want to fly in is about 8.5 miles from the runway of KPHX and about 8 miles from KSDL. Even the helicopter traffic is way above 400 ft. So if you get a class B warning but are outside of the 5 miles radius technically would that be OK? I can't even imagine the sheer volume calls the tower would get if everyone who was flying a drone in their backyard called for every flight! I appreciate the help.

The Bravo is actually quite big, but it is shaped like an upside down wedding cake. Only the inner ring goes to the surface. PHX is shaped like a bow tie for its inner circle. (The part that goes SFC - 9,000).

Good luck talking with the tower!

Just one quick question for you. When you look at the map for the Phoenix area with Camelback Mountain almost being in the center what restrictions do you see on the east side of the mountain for flying s drone below 400ft?

Just one quick question for you. When you look at the map for the Phoenix area with Camelback Mountain almost being in the center what restrictions do you see on the east side of the mountain for flying s drone below 400ft?

That area is not in Bravo from surface to 5,000 feet (Bravo is from 5,000 to 9,000). That line at Scottsdale college defines the area where the Bravo is from 4,000 to 9,000.

Does that help?

I can tell you for sure bud that if you fly anywhere near the trails the rangers will give you a ticket even if you are on a legal area. The problem is, about a year or two ago someone jumped down and had to be rescued. He heard the drone above and then saw some bees and thought it was a swarm.. (Laugh but swarms attacking has happened on those tails in the past and the couple had to be air lifted out Call the city of Phoenix Parks department. I was told the entire area is a city park and there are designated RC parks that they allow flying in. Just be careful in what you are doing, but I would call them and get the name of the person you spoke to if they tell you yes you are good to fly on the north/east side. I know that the areas you are talking about are in different cities but I think something is different about Camel Back. I hope that you call and I am wrong because I have wanted to fly those areas for a long time.

My experience with the Mavic is that if you get near classed airspace you get a warning. Doesn't mean that you are in it but you have to acknowledge responsibility to get the warning to clear.

Go to skyvector.com. You will notice some of the flight paths coming from north to south go right over camelback mountain. Otherwise, be extremely cautious! ATCMight be a wise choice to get more info. Also, try calling the city of Phoenix. They could help if you can’t get ATCOn the phone.

Go to skyvector.com. You will notice some of the flight paths coming from north to south go right over camelback mountain. Otherwise, be extremely cautious! ATCMight be a wise choice to get more info. Also, try calling the city of Phoenix. They could help if you can’t get ATCOn the phone.
Also found out that Camelback Mountain is in a city park. A good reason to call the city of Phoenix. They might not let you fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rustjan