DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Climbing Colorado's Tallest, Mount Elbert & Flying at almost 15,000' MSL, Breathtaking Adventure!

Karlewski

Reactions
This climb was better than expected, low stress & exceptional vistas from the roof of Colorado. I thought I'd mix it up a bit and do an adventure high above the deserts I've been visiting lately! The drone flying was very challenging, with strong winds, many warnings, and really bright glare coming off the snow made seeing the video feed tough. I could not use my sunglasses since they were way too dark but without them the the conditions were literally almost blinding. Staying in the shadow of my 'Sombrero," was the best I could do, I think it was good enough. . .

Impressive flight envelope of these machines. I've been over 14,000 feet on a few hikes, and COULDN'T BREATHE! Amazing they can fly this well at that altitude.

Thanks for sharing!

I don’t watch 15 minute videos... but I watched this one! Thanks for sharing this amazing place.

There were lots of inflight warnings about wind and max prop speeds. Other then seeing up-wind ground speeds in the high teens she took it like a champ!
Thank you Seth! I know my videos are on the long side, way long, lol. . . But I see so many amazing things I never want to forget and I really like making it into a, “story.” I’m glad you enjoyed going the distance! I have lots of stuff posted like this. If you think intense high altitude rock climbing or crazy colorful desert mountain scrambles sound entertaining? Please check them out. I’m editing an adventure in this deep narrow super cool slot canyon now and it is coming out pretty sweet. . .

You had me at “slot canyon”...

I hope to visit and film at one in central Oregon this summer. I expect some slow flying and a post speed-up, as it’s a very narrow canyon.

Good idea to leave the skis somewhere below for the ride out.
Find it weird you did the climb in the boots though, I'm not that comfortable walking normally in them (downhill variety).
Were they XC boots (more comfy) ?

I've been to 5700m, had no issues as we had a long ascent (15 days or so).
2500m for most that live around sea level is enough to bring on a bit of mild altitude sickness

I used to spend several days to a week at a time at/on/near the San Rafael Swell. Have done many slot cyns in the area, I eagerly await your next video!

This climb was better than expected, low stress & exceptional vistas from the roof of Colorado. I thought I'd mix it up a bit and do an adventure high above the deserts I've been visiting lately! The drone flying was very challenging, with strong winds, many warnings, and really bright glare coming off the snow made seeing the video feed tough. I could not use my sunglasses since they were way too dark but without them the the conditions were literally almost blinding. Staying in the shadow of my 'Sombrero," was the best I could do, I think it was good enough. . .
Hi Karl, wow!!!! I enjoyed very much your trip up to over 14000ft! how was it with the oxygen at this altitude?
At 13.38 I had a good laugh hahahahahah ??
Amazing drone-panoramas of the mountains ??
thanks for sharing...I am already waiting for the next adventure ?
cheers Paul

Great to hear from my Bothers and New Friends!
The new AT (all terrain) ski boots are cool, they can switch from ski to walk mode by releasing the heel lock allowing a huge range of motion in the ankle, front to back, really helps though I did get one mean blister. . . Poles helped tons too rocking forward for big strides. 5,700m OMG, 18,000' I feel kind of thrashed if I sleep at over 12,000'. . . .I do feel pretty normal if I only spend a few hours up there though, somewhat short on breath and tire more easily but, not too bad. . .
Any canyon flying is sketchy for me! Killed my first drone that way, no more GPS signal! horrible line of sight. . . Lots of ways to wipe out. . . I did get some great footage anyway, I flew from above the canyon on my first flight, no issues or stress at all and just stayed "over" the slot and displaying surroundings. I flew once inside the wider section of canyon, DANGER. Never could get a home point, then flew anyway and got a home point later god knows where! Then I knew I could not screw up or it would go home, to drone heaven. . . There is no way to fly in the real narrows, 2-3' wide, often tough to walk. . . I have done a handfull of tight slot canyons, Ding Dang, little wild horse. . . type stuff. This one I'm editing now, Moonshine Canyon, is a favorite! Fun climbing, very scenic, just wish it was longer. . . .

Ya, the A$$ slide was great, no dignity what so ever after a long day like that, any free ride is a good free ride under 25-30MPH. . . The ski out on that road was DEATH, turned out to be easier to remove the skis, tip toe on bits of dirt and swim through the rest, soaked. . . It was swimming with the skis too and swimming with skis. . . impossible.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Great to hear from my Bothers and New Friends!
The new AT (all terrain) ski boots are cool, they can switch from ski to walk mode by releasing the heel lock allowing a huge range of motion in the ankle, front to back, really helps though I did get one mean blister. . . Poles helped tons too rocking forward for big strides. 5,700m OMG, 18,000' I feel kind of thrashed if I sleep at over 12,000'. . . .I do feel pretty normal if I only spend a few hours up there though, somewhat short on breath and tire more easily but, not too bad. . .
Any canyon flying is sketchy for me! Killed my first drone that way, no more GPS signal! horrible line of sight. . . Lots of ways to wipe out. . . I did get some great footage anyway, I flew from above the canyon on my first flight, no issues or stress at all and just stayed "over" the slot and displaying surroundings. I flew once inside the wider section of canyon, DANGER. Never could get a home point, then flew anyway and got a home point later god knows where! Then I knew I could not screw up or it would go home, to drone heaven. . . There is no way to fly in the real narrows, 2-3' wide, often tough to walk. . . I have done a handfull of tight slot canyons, Ding Dang, little wild horse. . . type stuff. This one I'm editing now, Moonshine Canyon, is a favorite! Fun climbing, very scenic, just wish it was longer. . . .

Ya, the A$$ slide was great, no dignity what so ever after a long day like that, any free ride is a good free ride under 25-30MPH. . . The ski out on that road was DEATH, turned out to be easier to remove the skis, tip toe on bits of dirt and swim through the rest, soaked. . . It was swimming with the skis too and swimming with skis. . . impossible.

While I agree that the latest AT boots are remarkably versatile, there's no way I'd willingly have done that much hiking in them - I would have carried regular hiking boots in my pack. Or better still made the trip earlier in the year when the snow supported skinning to or near the top and getting the full ski descent. Great adventure though.

Hi Karl,
I have read your additional info with great interest, thanks! I am very happy to hear/see again and again about your daring and exciting adventures...Stay safe ??
cheers Paul

Reactions: Karlewski
While I agree that the latest AT boots are remarkably versatile, there's no way I'd willingly have done that much hiking in them - I would have carried regular hiking boots in my pack. Or better still made the trip earlier in the year when the snow supported skinning to or near the top and getting the full ski descent. Great adventure though.
I totally agree and really did not think I would make it at all. . . I was not in love with the ski boot hiking prospect either. I had checked the weather and the night before my trip was the coldest in a week, 25 F but, I left the house at 6am like a dummy, 2 hour drive, and it was super sunny that morning. I'm pretty sure if I had just got my lazy *** to the trail head at dawn or better yet slept there it would have been GREAT skiing for the most part all the way, both ways. . . I strongly considered the hiking boots too, had them in the truck and was stupid not to bring them. It would have been SO NICE to leave skis and big boots behind. . . I dug deep and cranked it out anyway. It was a weird early season this year, a super warm streak I waited out, full on soft snow up there. . . I wanted earlier too but had to wait for that tiny cold window that I should have been up earlier to meet. . . The other aspect. . . camera work in sub freezing temps is rough, frozen fingers, frozen batteries. . . horrible wind chill factors, and it was windy, gusting 30MPH. Timing was good in many ways, for making the video, the no light boots and late start were my errors that would have made a difference. . .

Reactions: sar104
Nice and thanks for sharing.

Great Video... must be hard to breathe between the wind and the altitude.. Keep up the good work.

very cinegraphici, great wide/close mix, music not distracting, interesting narration and story build. Really well done.

Wow, the drama. “Wish me luck”. And again. “Wish me luck”. Too many drama queens. But the scenery is nice! Well done.

My goodness, that is the first time I’ve been called a drama queen. . .the only drama here was getting a late start on a 12 mile hike in ski boots. This was, as mentioned above, a low stress non technical trip. . . some of my other adventures are quite a bit more dramatic. . . Thank you all for the praise. I’ll be posting the slot canyon adventure shortly, ”Moonshine Canyon!”

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661