DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Close call in storm

3rdof5

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Greetings Pilots,
So I saw some nasty storm clouds coming last night while camping.
It was dead calm so I thought I'd get up in the air with my Mavic 3 Classic to see whats coming in. I was quite far out and then the wind hit (calm before the storm).
Panic mode, switched to sport mode and high tailed it home.
JUST made it back and landed before the sky opened up with monsoon like rains and thunder and lightning. Holy crap was that an experience! Thank god that bird can really move when she needs to!

Just remember to include descent time in your allowances.
In my 'wild' days I had a P3 quite high and was watching a single cloud, with a shower undeneath it, approach, very scenic. Out pacing the cloud was easy enough but the getting down left the drone in the edges of the shower, whoops. I don't remember if I had the drone descend as it 'ran'.

lol, you will get braver , but those clouds really did look interesting , how long did the lightning show last.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Reactions: Torque and 3rdof5
Storms may appear distant but it's the clouds overhead that'll gitcha. Glad it worked out

Reactions: 3rdof5
The video is never as dramatic as the real storm it seems. Beautiful area you were filming in! What part of Alberta?
That was taken at Imrie campground at Devil's Lake Alberta, about 5 minutes east of the town of Onoway.

Reactions: Torque
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1