DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cold weather concerns ?

Scapegoat

Reactions
  • Hi, I'm expecting my MP fly-more bundle soon . I'm not a fan of cold weather , unfortunately In the northeast U.S. where I'm located it's cold (to me) 35 ~ 40 F with winter rapidly approaching . Obviously I want to fly when the bird gets here. What concerns , if any , should be considered flying the MP in colder conditions ?

Check out the cold flying weather tips here, here, and here.

• Hi, I'm expecting my MP fly-more bundle soon . I'm not a fan of cold weather , unfortunately In the northeast U.S. where I'm located it's cold (to me) 35 ~ 40 F with winter rapidly approaching . Obviously I want to fly when the bird gets here. What concerns , if any , should be considered flying the MP in colder conditions ?
I would just fly it indoors until April if I was you!
Lol!

Fly it indoors , that's a great idea Thumbswayup
LoL . A flying weed - wacker with attitude :/

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction msinger , much appreciated sir .

They say not to use below freezing point but if your batteries are kept warm beforehand you aren't likely to see any problems down to about -10C anyway.
A simple solution to avoid frozen fingers is sit in a vehicle if possible. :)

Reactions: Fplvert
I flew today in SE Wisconsin with temperature at 31 degrees, over cast and very little wind. I was colder than the Mavic. It was the coldest conditions I've flown the Mavic in so far and it handled and behaved perfectly. I made sure all batteries including iPhone 7+ were at 100%.

I'm still a newbie and keep it pretty close with the furthest away being about 1/2 mile out and 300 feet up. My total flight time was 19 minutes with about 5 minutes and 30% battery left.

Presumably the battery gets warm in use, so providing it starts off warm enough, it should stay warm enough once in the air? My batteries have always come back warm to the touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have flown my Mavic in temps as low as 3f (-16c). I keep the battery warm until I am ready to fly and then let it hover for a minute after I take off. At that temp my battery has maintained a steady 80f (27c) temp all through out the flight. I know of another person in Alaska who has been flying regularly in -15f (-26c) temps with no trouble at all.

Is anyone concerned about the rubber bands holding the gimbal in the cold climates? I wonder how long they'll last in general.

Would you expect this having left a battery in a car overnight with a low of 13°c obviously wind when flying maybe cools it more but no where near freezing.

Battery performance degrades in lower temps, so you should fly calmly and avoid pushing it when the warning is present (it might actually limit you, don't remember, was months ago since we last had to deal with it here and it changed with updates)
Battery will warm up in a minute or 2 of flight and the warning will go away.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78