DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cold Weather Flying?

Great to know that works.. Where are you located? ? Looks like Southern Illinois where I'm at
I live at Lawrenceville,across the river from Vincennes,Indiana.

Last edited:
Reactions: NinjaNut
All it's doing here is raining!:( Not a heavy rain,just enough to keep you from flying.

I thought that freezing temperatures will give problems with the Mavic battery. In general batteries dont like low temperatures. Take care!!!

Reactions: Ron_Dog
I thought that freezing temperatures will give problems with the Mavic battery. In general batteries dont like low temperatures. Take care!!!
They will,but with the battery's inside the warm vehicle,they work a lot better in cold temps. I also let the Mavic pro hover for around a minute to warm up,before flying. It's not a problem as I also use this time to check the camera settings,and make adjustments,before the flight.

That was the point of my post... it does not matter how cold it is outside when flying... it only matters how cold the batteries are. The firmware in the batteries will limit thrust on certain temps and then not allow the motors to be activated on other temps

Reactions: Vigi
That was the point of my post... it does not matter how cold it is outside when flying... it only matters how cold the batteries are. The firmware in the batteries will limit thrust on certain temps and then not allow the motors to be activated on other temps

Flying 20 minutes in freezing temps will bring down the temp of the battery to zero and it will certanly has impact on the capacity of the battery

Flying 20 minutes in freezing temps will bring down the temp of the battery to zero and it will certanly has impact on the capacity of the battery

Flying will actually _increase_ the temp of the battery. As current is drawn and the chemical reaction takes place, the temp of the battery increases.

Next time you fly, feel you battery right after it's use. This was easier to feel on the Phantom batteries as they were more exposed.

Flying will actually _increase_ the temp of the battery. As current is drawn and the chemical reaction takes place, the temp of the battery increases.

Next time you fly, feel you battery right after it's use. This was easier to feel on the Phantom batteries as they were more exposed.

Ok, think you have a point, will check it

Ok, think you have a point, will check it
To a certain extent, the warmth eminating from the CPU in the drone itself will keep the battery warm. If it gets really cold, you can tape an iron oxide boot warmer to the outside top.

The controller is a different matter -- cold weather will effect the RC and phone/tablet quickly and servery shorten flying time. Short of piloting from a car, I have no solution that I've tried, though the iron oxide packs might help there too.

Reactions: Vigi
To a certain extent, the warmth eminating from the CPU in the drone itself will keep the battery warm. If it gets really cold, you can tape an iron oxide boot warmer to the outside top.

The controller is a different matter -- cold weather will effect the RC and phone/tablet quickly and servery shorten flying time. Short of piloting from a car, I have no solution that I've tried, though the iron oxide packs might help there too.
Will the iron-oxide affect the GPS sensors and or compass?

Yes,that is correct! As the batterys discharge they build up heat,now how much heat they produce at freezing temps,is kinda a "grey area",but starting out with warm batterys helps a lot. I haven't flown my Mavic Pro in 32 degree or lower temps........yet! But I will before the winter is over!;)

Last edited:
Yes,that is correct! As the batterys discharge they build up heat,now how much heat they produce at freezing temps,is kinda a "grey area",but startying out with warm batterys helps a lot. I haven't flown my Mavic Pro in 32 degree or lower temps........yet! But I will before the winter is over!;)

I'd need to go back and check my notes but I'm pretty it's 32F that the batteries won't start the motors (I think there is reduced thrust up to 35F). So the batteries would need to be at least 32F. They also start to warm up when used. I'd suspect that the outside temps would need to be way in the negatives to make the battery any colder. Personally, if it's under 0F.... I'm not flying. Heck, I'm not even going outside!

• Check the status of the battery in the DJI GO app after powering on the aircraft. Keep an eye out for app alerts during flight. If the DJI GO app displays a warning that battery cells are abnormal or damaged, stop using the battery.
  • Follow the stated temperature for battery use.
  • 014722hf63e1cvr3zu4172.png
  • Don’t charge the battery right after a flight because the battery’s temperature may be too high. Avoid charging the battery outside of the stated charging temperature range.
  • 014816hsszfs3fsbklzniy.png

Reactions: Riveratdave
  • Check the status of the battery in the DJI GO app after powering on the aircraft. Keep an eye out for app alerts during flight. If the DJI GO app displays a warning that battery cells are abnormal or damaged, stop using the battery.
  • Follow the stated temperature for battery use.
  • 014722hf63e1cvr3zu4172.png
  • Don’t charge the battery right after a flight because the battery’s temperature may be too high. Avoid charging the battery outside of the stated charging temperature range.
  • 014816hsszfs3fsbklzniy.png

Thanks for posting that. My tests has been with the P3 and P4 (don't have a video out on it yet as I've not tested the Mavic). Good to know that the Mavic temps are different. Thought I don't yet understand why.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
espinafre