DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cold Weather Flying?

Newbie here. Just joined today. Great topic guys, I will certainly give it a try . Living in upstate N.Y Its getting cold here fast. I'll be sure to give this flying from my truck a good work out this winter. Thanks for sharing.

When we first got out MP right around Christmas last year, we were desperate to keep flying, but when it got to -30C (-22F) outside, we knew there was no way. We had seen some footage of guys in Scandinavia, where it look fairly cold, so we were willing to give it a try. We waited until it was around -15C (5F) to take it out and had no problems. As others have mentioned the batteries even warm themselves up a bit. Also flew numerous times in snow that was in large flakes. Beautiful result and it seemed that the prop wash ensured that none stuck and melted on the MP.

Anyone with defroster wires in the windshield? (the fine, barely visible ones, not the thick ones like on rear window) Any problems, do they attenuate the signal?

Just got done with a short flight to test out my new iPad mini 4, 23 degrees F out, no wind. Sunny. The only thing effected were my fingers. Flew good. The iPad is running 11.1, GO4 is 4.1.16, most current FW and Fly Safe Database.

Reactions: Bunny Too
Just got done with a short flight to test out my new iPad mini 4, 23 degrees F out, no wind. Sunny. The only thing effected were my fingers. Flew good. The iPad is running 11.1, GO4 is 4.1.16, most current FW and Fly Safe Database.
What does GO4 mean? New to this side of the hobby and I need to lean some of the terms used. any others would be much appreciated as well. 58 and still learning new stuff every day.

"GO4" means the "DJI GO 4" app for Android or iOS.

Welcome to the forum :)

You must be really really new. Welcome MountainMan
Yes 100% Newbie to this side of the hobby with .{DJI } Came from building & flying Freestyle /Race quads , I even had a DJI NAZA V2 back in the day mounted up on a TBS Discovery . I also fly planes and Had my fair share of Helis too. So far pretty impressed with the Mavic. DJI has come a long way since the Naza V2 with GPS and Naza lite .

Reactions: SprayingMango
I 3M taped a battery pack to the back of my tablet to charge the controller and the controller charges the tablet... keeps the battery at 100% for a long time... even in the cold.
2a5gn4l.jpg

2m26hjk.jpg
Can you (or anyone) confirm that when you have a battery connected to the other USB port, that the RC charges the ipad (or iphone) through it's connection? I started a thread on the subject and someone said it would charge an android phone, but not an iphone.

So MountainMan, you really are not a newbie :)

rfc, Apple devices will not charge off the RC. And. correct, I have read that some android devices will, but since I am not an android user, can't speak with any authority on android devices.

rfc, Apple devices will not charge off the RC. And. correct, I have read that some android devices will, but since I am not an android user, can't speak with any authority on android devices. rfc I use a Droid Galaxy S5 and it does not charge my phone when I plug the USB in {{ Confirmed }}. I also heard that I phones charge off of the USB but I can not confirm that either. I do know if you are using a Android only use the USB on the bottom of the controller { do not use the side mounting micro USB. It causes all kinds of issues. I can confirm that as well. No disconnects or weird stuff once I got away from the micro plug. I constantly lost picture due to over heating using the micro. No issues other than HD symbol flashing at times. That was solved by full shut down & full restart of all 3 . Drone/ Controller /App . and it took a few times too.

rfc I use a Droid Galaxy S5 and it does not charge my phone when I plug the USB in {{ Confirmed }}. I also heard that I phones charge off of the USB but I can not confirm that either. I do know if you are using a Android only use the USB on the bottom of the controller { do not use the side mounting micro USB. It causes all kinds of issues. I can confirm that as well. No disconnects or weird stuff once I got away from the micro plug. I constantly lost picture due to over heating using the micro. No issues other than HD symbol flashing at times. That was solved by full shut down & full restart of all 3 . Drone/ Controller /App . and it took a few times too.
That's interesting, because I've used 3 different Android phones (S4, S7, and Huawei) and they all charge on both ports on the transmitter.

I've also not had any issues using either of the ports to connect the phones. I used the side port exclusively until I got the Huawei for a dedicated Mavic device. Had to switch to the bottom port for that one due to phone USB port location.

That's interesting, because I've used 3 different Android phones (S4, S7, and Huawei) and they all charge on both ports on the transmitter.

Agree with that, both ports charge my Galaxy S8.

I normally use the bottom port to connect to my phone, then use the left-hand-side port to charge the controller during flight (if I'm flying for a prolonged period of time).

Can you (or anyone) confirm that when you have a battery connected to the other USB port, that the RC charges the ipad (or iphone) through it's connection? I started a thread on the subject and someone said it would charge an android phone, but not an iphone.

I don't know anything about apple products (i'm not creative) but the way I have it hooked up is that the battery charges the controller and the controller charges the tablet. Just make sure you get a rather large battery or it wont last long. I have had this set up for about 4 months and love it. Plug your battery into the side of the controller and the controller (usb) to your tablet and you are good to go.

timmy -
What Asus tablet is that you got that fits the controller? Pretty sweet vs. iPad mini cost wise I am guessing.

Asus ZenPad S 8.0
Lot of bloatware... but easy to get rid of. I use this just for my Mavic and it fits perfect! I would Never buy any apple product no matter how good they work. I found the ZenPad brand new on craigslist for $80

Wow, this thread confirmed what I was hoping I could do with my Mavic. We go ice fishing at the lake house in the UP..A lot of times we will set up our tip ups, and run into the house for lunch or whatever. We would normally keep an eye on them with a spotting scope, but flying this thing around to check for flags from the house is an even better idea.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman