DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Collision Avoidance disabled during RTH

AwesoM

Reactions
Does anyone know why when I initiate RTH the controller always reports obstacle avoidance is disabled. So if there the Mavic is heading towards an object how would it know to stop? I thought it was designed to be intelligent on RTH?

I believe it only disables OA for the final descent on RTH, doesn't it? I think it keeps OA enabled until it's above the home point and ready to descend. (Unless you're in Sport mode, in which case I think it leaves OA disabled)

for some reason there were times where min started descent 20 feet from home point which would of caused it to hit my roof without OA. I had to take over and move it to safe spot. Whish I could trust it to land rigth on RTH

for some reason there were times where min started descent 20 feet from home point which would of caused it to hit my roof without OA. I had to take over and move it to safe spot. Whish I could trust it to land rigth on RTH

If you follow the steps to allow the Mavic to use Precision Landing, I find it's extremely accurate. Make sure you let it hover for a few seconds about 10m above the takeoff point.

I have had no issue with it landing in the same spot... even though each time I hold my breath since there is a lot of foliage where I am at. But each time I initiate RTH it says obstacle avoidance has been disabled. What am i doing wrong? Should it not be enabled?

are you in sport mode or P-mode when you initiate it?

the controller is not in Sports mode. I toggled the switch down... I did not turn anything else on. I was able to fly in tripod mode when it was 200 feet up high and then i clicked RTH.

I experienced the same thing on my P4P when I had it for a few weeks before returning it. I would imagine there is a setting I am missing?

Does anyone know why when I initiate RTH the controller always reports obstacle avoidance is disabled. So if there the Mavic is heading towards an object how would it know to stop? I thought it was designed to be intelligent on RTH?

I just got my yesterday and is doing the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Mine also has that issue and I receive the same warning anytime I initiate the RTH feature. I am not in sport mode either so I'm not sure what the issue is with it.

Reactions: Filipok and cd419
RTH disables most of the VPS sensors. It will be limited. Forward VPS mainly. It will still gain altitude on an incline for RTH. You need to have your return to home set to a high enough altitude to avoid major obstacles . Intelligent Return to Home just means it takes a picture of the ground before take off and will use its GPS to get back and anaylize the ground on landing to find the exact spot you took off from. It's not a 100%. I never use RTH unless it's an emergency etc. I always fly it back myself. Use the option sparingly.

I guarantee if your someone who uses RTH all the time it will crash. It works but I only use it in a field or open area then I take over when I see it or have my bearings straight.

So short story. Your Forward VPS is disabled regardless of mode. Your over analyzing the feature Intelligent Return to Home. It just means it remembers the exact spot you took off from by using GPS and taking a picture of the ground.

Last edited:
RTH disables most of the VPS sensors. It will be limited. Forward VPS mainly. It will still gain altitude on an incline for RTH. You need to have your return to home set to a high enough altitude to avoid major obstacles . Intelligent Return to Home just means it takes a picture of the ground before take off and will use its GPS to get back and anaylize the ground on landing to find the exact spot you took off from. It's not a 100%. I never use RTH unless it's an emergency etc. I always fly it back myself. Use the option sparingly.

I guarantee if your someone who uses RTH all the time it will crash. It works but I only use it in a field or open area then I take over when I see it or have my bearings straight.

So short story. Your Forward VPS is disabled regardless of mode. Your over analyzing the feature Intelligent Return to Home. It just means it remembers the exact spot you took off from by using GPS and taking a picture of the ground.

I think we all get and understand that. I manually land most of the time as well but like to play with that RTH feature as it is pretty cool and fun to test out. I think the main question here is does that warning appear every time on all Mavics or not? In talking to other people, it doesn't sound like everyone receives the warning when using the RTH function.

It's app related. Your VPS is disabled. I'd be less worried about the warning and I'm sure some who say they don't receive it don't hear it etc. it's easy to miss.

Sorry, but this is not true. It clearly states on page 13 of the users manual that the forward vision system is enabled in the RTH mode (unless you have it turned off in the app settings).

upload_2017-2-1_13-32-45.png

It is just wrong to say that OA is disabled during RTH. Read the the manual on RTH. My Mavic reports that OA has been turned off when it has returned to be over the home point and is beginning descent. Not before. I have used RTH many times, it has worked perfectly every time.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: JLane
According to the manual it lands right where it is if RTH is initiated with less than 20m distance or so from the starting point. Maybe this was the case for you?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman