DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compact solution with HDMI out

Kilrah

Reactions
A device with HDMI out I had ordered among a couple of other solutions to try but with low expectations and that I've received today has proven to be actually much more appopriate than the others with just a couple of little tweaks.

It's a clamshell-style android game console, due to the seemingly unsuitable packaging I was expecting to have to take it apart completely and try to design and 3d print a completely new casing that would hold the screen on top of the main body as in a typical tablet. But it happens that if the screen half is inserted in the remote (and it fits perfectly) the body can be put away vertically on your belly, actually making for a nice resting stand. And with the cables exiting below instead of the sides where they'd necessarily conflict with something regardless of the direction, that "unsuitable" packaging actually turns out to be much better than any other.

Did first flight with it today and it was fine. It's not the most powerful device around, but runs well enough.

Only a bit of velcro and a custom short/low profile USB cable were needed to do the mechanical job. Software required 2 tweaks, one to force screen rotation (the accelerometer is in the body, so when it's pointing down the GO app wants to display upside down - it also ignores the android screen rotation lock) and one to force audio out via the speakers as it defaults to routing it out to HDMI when a monitor is connected.

Attachments

• 20161123_202922.jpg
    20161123_202922.jpg
    744.9 KB · Views: 496
  • 20161123_202715.jpg
    20161123_202715.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 463
  • 20161123_202743.jpg
    20161123_202743.jpg
    583.9 KB · Views: 463
  • 20161123_202757.jpg
    20161123_202757.jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 468
  • 20161123_202830.jpg
    20161123_202830.jpg
    829.4 KB · Views: 467
  • 20161123_202840.jpg
    20161123_202840.jpg
    829.7 KB · Views: 474
  • 20161123_203039.jpg
    20161123_203039.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 479
Reactions: Mr Spock
Ah great i looked at several such thingys when i searched for something to Pilot my Bebops.
Ended up with the NVIDIA Shield portable but hat was much more expensive.

Thanks ! If a Mali T764 is good enough then probably my ANdorid-Nibiru VR Thing will work fine without any hassle / Adpters to have goggles :)

Ender

Reactions: alon goldenberg
Hmm, if the RK3288 ist fast enough this here could do as well:

7 inch Gpd Q9 Game Tablet PC

Its from the same company, only a tad bigger but with glasses on that wouldnt matter...
Ender

P.S. just guessing, no guarantees...

Last edited:
Too big, both for carrying and using. The XD fits in my goggles' pouch, so I can easily take just the Mavic bag if I don't need the goggles, and also the goggles' pouch if I want to use them and in both cases have everything ready inside. The Shield would not fit in either compact bags.
For use I don't want something that needs an extra mount, and for me the device that has HDMI out will be used for its HDMI out i.e. when only when I want to use my goggles. It's important to also have a screen to manipulate the app and look at at the beginning/end of the flight when goggles are off but for that the 5" is perfectly fine, no need for an 8" screen when I'm not looking at it.

Lets see, i keep that little beauty on the radar, i hope the best for my Note3 with HDMI out + USB slave mod and for my Hi8 Pro with HDMI out...
THANK YOU for pointing this out !

Ender

One more tweak, use a DPI changer to change from 240 (I think...) to 170 to make the GO interface more reasonably sized (was really huge originally and covered way too much of the screen to my liking).

Before:
Screenshot_2016-11-27-16-59-24.png

After:

Screenshot_2016-11-27-17-07-14.png

Good find !
Although IF one would use the Tablet not only for DJI-GO it might be unsuitable for other Apps or did you find a per-App dpi changer ?

Greetings,

Ender

Good find !
Although IF one would use the Tablet not only for DJI-GO it might be unsuitable for other Apps or did you find a per-App dpi changer ?
Oops hadn't noticed that post...
Nope, don't know of a per-app DPI changer, it's a system property. But I'm personally fine with the settings for other stuff as well, I actually do like interface elements to be small and always set my android devices to the smallest font/layout size.

A few updates, after getting a bit annoyed with video lag/stuttering I read a bit further and found that while the CPU in that thing is a quad core 1.8GHz the stock ROM only makes it run at max 1.4, and with a governor that focuses a bit too much on power saving (which is stupid IMO since the battery is huge anyway).
Found someone made an alternative "LegacyROM" that does allow to run at the full 1.8GHz and flashed that. Along with a governor change to "performance" i.e. it constantly runs full speed it's now running great, got a couple of hours of flight with it now.

So it makes for a great solution, but there's work involved to set everything right.

A few updates, after getting a bit annoyed with video lag/stuttering I read a bit further and found that while the CPU in that thing is a quad core 1.8GHz the stock ROM only makes it run at max 1.4, and with a governor that focuses a bit too much on power saving (which is stupid IMO since the battery is huge anyway).
Found someone made an alternative "LegacyROM" that does allow to run at the full 1.8GHz and flashed that. Along with a governor change to "performance" i.e. it constantly runs full speed it's now running great, got a couple of hours of flight with it now.

So it makes for a great solution, but there's work involved to set everything right.
Oops, so much for my smart*ss remark in that other thread asking you to overclock it ;-)
Great !
I am still bidding for a XD here which would make my "devices to try with the mavic" count == 5

;-)

Ender

Oops, so much for my smart*ss remark in that other thread asking you to overclock it ;-)
Oops, guess I missed that too :confused:
EDIT: Found now. Stock kernel "advertised" speeds up to 1800MHz to apps like SetCPU, but would not actually follow orders to use them, was stuck at max 1416. Different kernel was really needed.

"devices to try with the mavic" count == 5
Awesome, makes my 3 feel more reasonable :p
And you don't even have a Mavic yet...

Awesome, makes my 3 feel more reasonable :p
And you don't even have a Mavic yet...
Yup, but i use those things for WidV Groundstation and my beloved Bebop and they have similar Requirements...
Only 2 were actually bought for the Mav :)

Ender

Merry Christmas All.
Pl advise how to get a Clean HDMI output (Mavic) for link to a Video Switcher. (For Phantom 3, an optional HDMI card makes it possible)
Thanks.

You can not get a guaranteed clean video output with the Mavic.

All solutions allow you to have it mostly clean when you swipe the app's OSD away, but any warnings will still pop up.

You can not get a guaranteed clean video output with the Mavic.

All solutions allow you to have it mostly clean when you swipe the app's OSD away, but any warnings will still pop up.

Thank you.
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman