Compact solution with HDMI out

Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Discussions' started by Kilrah, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

A device with HDMI out I had ordered among a couple of other solutions to try but with low expectations and that I've received today has proven to be actually much more appopriate than the others with just a couple of little tweaks.

It's a clamshell-style android game console, due to the seemingly unsuitable packaging I was expecting to have to take it apart completely and try to design and 3d print a completely new casing that would hold the screen on top of the main body as in a typical tablet. But it happens that if the screen half is inserted in the remote (and it fits perfectly) the body can be put away vertically on your belly, actually making for a nice resting stand. And with the cables exiting below instead of the sides where they'd necessarily conflict with something regardless of the direction, that "unsuitable" packaging actually turns out to be much better than any other.

Did first flight with it today and it was fine. It's not the most powerful device around, but runs well enough.

Only a bit of velcro and a custom short/low profile USB cable were needed to do the mechanical job. Software required 2 tweaks, one to force screen rotation (the accelerometer is in the body, so when it's pointing down the GO app wants to display upside down - it also ignores the android screen rotation lock) and one to force audio out via the speakers as it defaults to routing it out to HDMI when a monitor is connected.

Attached Files:

2. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

Great find Kilrah, what IS that thing ?

Ender

3. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

4. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

Ah great i looked at several such thingys when i searched for something to Pilot my Bebops.
    Ended up with the NVIDIA Shield portable but hat was much more expensive.

Thanks ! If a Mali T764 is good enough then probably my ANdorid-Nibiru VR Thing will work fine without any hassle / Adpters to have goggles :)

Ender

5. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

P.S. i take it 720p Streaming is fluid ?!

Kilrah likes this.
  6. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

Hmm, if the RK3288 ist fast enough this here could do as well:

7 inch Gpd Q9 Game Tablet PC

Its from the same company, only a tad bigger but with glasses on that wouldnt matter...
    Ender

P.S. just guessing, no guarantees...

#6 Ender, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  7. stealle

stealle Well-Known Member

8. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Too big, both for carrying and using. The XD fits in my goggles' pouch, so I can easily take just the Mavic bag if I don't need the goggles, and also the goggles' pouch if I want to use them and in both cases have everything ready inside. The Shield would not fit in either compact bags.
    For use I don't want something that needs an extra mount, and for me the device that has HDMI out will be used for its HDMI out i.e. when only when I want to use my goggles. It's important to also have a screen to manipulate the app and look at at the beginning/end of the flight when goggles are off but for that the 5" is perfectly fine, no need for an 8" screen when I'm not looking at it.

9. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Yes, a little choppy but probably not more than usual, just more noticeable when looking at a huge virtual screen.

10. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

Lets see, i keep that little beauty on the radar, i hope the best for my Note3 with HDMI out + USB slave mod and for my Hi8 Pro with HDMI out...
    THANK YOU for pointing this out !

Ender

11. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

One more tweak, use a DPI changer to change from 240 (I think...) to 170 to make the GO interface more reasonably sized (was really huge originally and covered way too much of the screen to my liking).

Before:
    Screenshot_2016-11-27-16-59-24.png

After:

Screenshot_2016-11-27-17-07-14.png

12. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

Good find !
    Although IF one would use the Tablet not only for DJI-GO it might be unsuitable for other Apps or did you find a per-App dpi changer ?

Greetings,

Ender