Compass confusion?

Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Help' started by thefrisbee995, Nov 4, 2016.

1. thefrisbee995

thefrisbee995 Well-Known Member

I've heard all sorts from people saying that compass and gimbal need calibration every time before flight in all sorts of scenarios. When is the right time to actually calibrate both of these (if at all necessary)?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

2. kmaluo

kmaluo Well-Known Member

Short answer, compass only once in open field, no metal around. Gimbal as needed for tilted horizon issue.

BD0G likes this.
  3. getoutandplay

getoutandplay Active Member

I calibrate my compass before every flight to be safe. But have only been prompted to recalibrate if I have moved the Mavic a good distance from last flight or if it has been in my backpack and I have been on the bike.

4. kmaluo

kmaluo Well-Known Member

Not a good idea. Your compass needs a good baseline in idea conditions for the natural surrounding terrain. Look for Msinger and his compass calibration guide.

5. getoutandplay

getoutandplay Active Member

Didn't Msinger's info really just come from Ianwood's post? Both only say not to calibrate if there could be interference when doing so. But that seems fairly obvious to me because the point of calibration is to eliminate compass errors.

6. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

You can view the 'state' of calibration in the app.
    There's no need to keep re-doing it even if you drive 100s of miles it will still be near enough most likely.
    Every time you recalibrate there's a chance the new setting will be affected by something you aren't aware of.
    If things have gone wildly out because it was accidentally near a magnet (e.g. speaker) the app will tell you in fact won't let you start.

7. kmaluo

kmaluo Well-Known Member

Yeah I was too lazy to find who he was qouting. But it does basically say, callibrate one good time and leave it. You start calibrating all the time and happen to miss the rebar, pipe underground, car in the corner, power lines behind you, keys or phone in your pocket, then you might get into trouble once the craft gains altitude and the surrounding magnetic signature has changed.