DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass Error when in Sports Mode

Anthony

Reactions
So went out to do a few test flights with my new Mavmount and my crystalsky and the mount was excellent...

However it was quite windy today so for the first time in a long time I used sports mode and as soon as I pushed the switch I received a compass error warning in the top banner in DJI Go 4... but as soon as I switched back to P mode the compass error went away.

Now I do remember this being an issue months ago but I have not seen anyone recently having this issue so just wanted to see if anyone else is having this issue in sports mode.

I am up to date with FW and DJI Go4.

I have not recalibrated yet as I ran out of time but will do so tomorrow if the wind drops a bit.

So went out to do a few test flights with my new Mavmount and my crystalsky and the mount was excellent...

However it was quite windy today so for the first time in a long time I used sports mode and as soon as I pushed the switch I received a compass error warning in the top banner in DJI Go 4... but as soon as I switched back to P mode the compass error went away.

Now I do remember this being an issue months ago but I have not seen anyone recently having this issue so just wanted to see if anyone else is having this issue in sports mode.

I am up to date with FW and DJI Go4.

I have not recalibrated yet as I ran out of time but will do so tomorrow if the wind drops a bit.
I have heard the error is caused by the increased voltage or "pulse" going to the motors, it actually fried mine last year so they put a new compass in, I also didn't realise it has 2 compasses as far as rectifying it sorry not much help there Dx

It's hardware-related, some early Mavics had the motor wires run straight and close to one of the compasses, later units have the wires twisted to avoid it.

People I know who had that could have theirs fixed under warranty.

Reactions: Cut.Aussie
Ok so it's taken a while due to work and weather but I have carried out a few more test flights and this only happens when in sports mode so I'll start the support proces later today ... it's a shame really as apart from this my Mavic has been solid with every firmware.

I have just raised a repair request today after going through a few things with online support. I didn't have to wait at all for the online help and it only took 15 mins. None of the horror stories I have seen online.

I will feedback how long it takes to get my UPS label.

I have just raised a repair request today after going through a few things with online support. I didn't have to wait at all for the online help and it only took 15 mins. None of the horror stories I have seen online.

I will feedback how long it takes to get my UPS label.

I just got my P4 back. Total turnaround time (from time I initiated until it arrived today) was about 3 weeks.)

I get compass warnings in Sport mode but usually ignore them. Am I being careless to ignore? Is it an ongoing problem?
I've had my Mavic for a year already and it has been great, but I do get error warnings, but just warnings it seems.

I get compass warnings in Sport mode but usually ignore them. Am I being careless to ignore? Is it an ongoing problem?
I've had my Mavic for a year already and it has been great, but I do get error warnings, but just warnings it seems.

This issue is related to the motor speed when in sports mode ... I would get it fixed this was an issue on early Mavic''s apparently.

Just for info:
On a previous mavic (R.I.P. but not because of this) I had modified under the shell and hardwired connectors to plug external batteries. After this mod I got compass error but only when carrying an external battery AND when the tilt angle got beyond a certain value. This would normally be flying into the wind, both p and s mode.
I have flown it countless times and this never impacted reliability nor did it fail.

Reactions: BrooklynFlyer
Received my UPS email today so less than 24hrs to get that.

My drone was posted on Friday and arrived at the service centre on the following Monday so quite quick delivery from the UK to NL.

So my drone arrived at the service centre yesturday and I received the repair estimate today ... very quick service and All covered under warranty.

Reactions: MacIak
Just received an email from the DJI repair centre with the following ...

"Your item, the case number CAS-1165183-M2W7K9 has been shipped with UPS"

So less than a week for them to turn it around.

Fantastic !!

This was the Repair Email I got.

Dear DJI User,

After testing and diagnosing your product, DJI will provide you with the free repair service. The repair is expected to be finished in 2 to 3 working days, then the product will be sent back to you. Thank you for choosing DJI.

Proforma Invoice

Item Quantity Unit Price(EUR) Total Nett(EUR)
Flight Controller ESC Board 1 56.20 56.20
Freight: 0.00
Total Amount: 56.20
Discount: -56.20
DJI Care deduction: 0.00
Sub Total Payment: 0.00
VAT(at 21%): 0.00
Grand Total Payment: 0

This is an automated email. Please do not reply to this message. Email sent to this address cannot be answered.

DJI EUROPE BV

Best Regards,

DJI Support

Last edited:
Just received my drone back today so seven days to get it back ... really happy with the time on this.

However it is a new drone and not my drone repaired. ....

My Mavic was one of the first batch of Mavic and had the two stress mark's on the front above the camera this one does not so looks like they improved the injection moulding processes.

I'll do a test flight and report back.

But five stars to DJI for the fantastic repair service.

Still no test flight as the weather and work keep getting in the way but I did connect my Mavic and controller up to DJI Assistant 2 to check it was clean of data and it is ....

Just received my drone back today so seven days to get it back ... really happy with the time on this.

However it is a new drone and not my drone repaired. ....

My Mavic was one of the first batch of Mavic and had the two stress mark's on the front above the camera this one does not so looks like they improved the injection moulding processes.

I'll do a test flight and report back.

But five stars to DJI for the fantastic repair service.
It's standard that they send you a new or refurb unit and not your original drone.

Yeah it looks brand new ....

Hi Anthony, I started the repair process for the same reason. Could you advise on what you returned as it seems they need the controller too? Did you include the battery, props, gimbal guard or anything else?

Hi Anthony, I started the repair process for the same reason. Could you advise on what you returned as it seems they need the controller too? Did you include the battery, props, gimbal guard or anything else?

Hi I was asked to send my Drone only however I didn't ready all of the detail and sent the drone, Battery and the controller....

But it does say on the return info they email me just to return the drone so remember to remove your SD card.

Last edited:
So managed to get out and use three batteries today its a bit grey but almost no wind .....

Calibrated the compass as this had come from Holland and took off and all went really well no issues with sports mode at all.

I did my normal test that I do after every firmware update and send the drone out a bit and test RTH. images below taken by my Crystalsky.

Screenshot 1.png Screenshot 2.png Screenshot 3.png Screenshot 4.png

The new Mavic landed right on target ..... these are truly amazing bits of tech of the flying kind.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sevimli