DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass question

Odd, I have seen a compass redundancy switch warning a couple of times with the old and new firmware versions. Every time I see it I look at the compass status they both look good but it is always using compass 1. I have never seen it use compass 2. On another note, I reviewed my flight logs and warning history and the redundancy switch error is nowhere to be found.

Mine compasses both work they range from 8-50 sometimes up and down when i look at them

Odd, I have seen a compass redundancy switch warning a couple of times with the old and new firmware versions. Every time I see it I look at the compass status they both look good but it is always using compass 1. I have never seen it use compass 2. On another note, I reviewed my flight logs and warning history and the redundancy switch error is nowhere to be found.
The compass switch is recorded in the .DAT file. To see it you'll have to use DatCon and then look in the eventLog stream. The switch is recorded as 2 or 3 entries (depending on the firmware version) in the eventLog.

The drone will only use one compass during flight. On the 3DR controllers u manually have to disable the internal compass on the controller or the unit will toilet bowl as both units give a different reading. The Mavic has 2 compasses with the IMU checking the balance between each unit. If the one fails or gives a bad reading the flight controller will switch to the other unit. HOWEVER u as a pilot will not know that as it happens automatically

I am having a similar problem except that my MavicPro only seems to use Compass 2!! It never seems to use Compass 1 and I suspect the compass one is faulty. How can I check this? If it is faulty I should send my Mavic pro back to DJI under warranty.

I am having a similar problem except that my MavicPro only seems to use Compass 2!! It never seems to use Compass 1 and I suspect the compass one is faulty. How can I check this? If it is faulty I should send my Mavic pro back to DJI under warranty.

This is most probably The strangest post of all.I am using the reply because I do not know how to post a question. Can anybody help? If this question looks technically competent – IT IS

It's not clear to me that Compass 1 is the primary compass. Not saying it isn't; just don't know that it is. Are you having a problem, or are you just concerned that compass 1 is defective and you don't have the redundancy you should have?

If you provide a .DAT for a flight I'll take a look and see if there is an indication of a problem with compass 1. To see how to retrieve the .DAT look here. You'll need to Dropbox it and provide a link since it's large.

Another thing you could do is try to make it switch compasses. After batteryOn and still on the ground bring a screwdriver close to the front of the Mavic. Be watching the compass display in the Go App so that you can see the effect of bringing the screwdriver close to the front compass. This should cause enough "interference" in the front compass that the Mavic will then switch to the back compass.

Reactions: ralliart12
The drone will only use one compass during flight. On the 3DR controllers u manually have to disable the internal compass on the controller or the unit will toilet bowl as both units give a different reading. The Mavic has 2 compasses with the IMU checking the balance between each unit. If the one fails or gives a bad reading the flight controller will switch to the other unit. HOWEVER u as a pilot will not know that as it happens automatically

You are correct the Mavic has 2 compasses and if memory serves it use both of them it will switch to the one that is the strongest if one fails totally your Mavic will still fly the same it won't just stop and hover it will keep going as tho nothing is wrong but you will get a warning saying compass error and on start up saying compass error I have had that happen to me but if one is totally down you could risk having a crash

It's not clear to me that Compass 1 is the primary compass. Not saying it isn't; just don't know that it is. Are you having a problem, or are you just concerned that compass 1 is defective and you don't have the redundancy you should have?

If you provide a .DAT for a flight I'll take a look and see if there is an indication of a problem with compass 1. To see how to retrieve the .DAT look here. You'll need to Dropbox it and provide a link since it's large.

Another thing you could do is try to make it switch compasses. After batteryOn and still on the ground bring a screwdriver close to the front of the Mavic. Be watching the compass display in the Go App so that you can see the effect of bringing the screwdriver close to the front compass. This should cause enough "interference" in the front compass that the Mavic will then switch to the back compass.
BRILLIANT , Don't need to send you a .dat(Well beyond my competence – LOL). Used my Apple Watch instead of a screwdriver and hey presto the compass switched from 2 to 1 . So I guess my redundancy works !! Actually taking advantage of your kindness can you tell me how I would post this as a question rather than doing what I did was to post my question in a reply. Thank you very much for taking the trouble to sort me out.

.....can you tell me how I would post this as a question rather than doing what I did was to post my question in a reply.
At the bottom of the existing posts there is a pane that looks like this
upload_2017-4-9_6-58-11.png

Just type in that pane and hit Post Reply

Glad you were able to switch compasses. I am a bit puzzled though since picking compass 1 as the default seems to be the norm. Please keep us updated if you notice anything unusual.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slitsling69