DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed into my lake and recovered it.

john94si

Reactions
I live on two lakes and was flying in sport mode playing around. My neighbors and i were talking and i got distracted on the drones flight.. It flew straight into the water. Luckily i had a getterback on one of the front arms and after a few minutes it popped up and i was able to pull up easily with the line. I was recording the entire recovery but when i handed my neighbor my phone he must of hit the volume button and it stopped recording. I tried to the rice for 24hrs but it was fried.
Sent off to DJI for refresh..
Ill post up my results with their support as soon as i get it back.

But if you fly over water i highly recommend the getterback. It saved me an insurance claim.

audio was just to fill i hate silent video

Attachments

• 2017-01-04 16.01.40.jpg
    2017-01-04 16.01.40.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 326
  • 2017-01-04 13.05.09.jpg
    2017-01-04 13.05.09.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 287
I guess you can never have enough recovery options. Just googled getterback..amazon has them for $14.... Did it affect flying stability .. wonder if that had anything to do with the crash?

Glad you got it back. I think I'll order one of those today. But some of the water I'll be flying over is definitely deeper than 100'...

Rather than rice I used a food dehydrator to dry out my Mavic after a powder snow dip. Not as extensive a soak as in a lake, to be sure...

I saw a video of a guy who got his Mavic flying after it spent considerable time under water. IIRC there was some oscillation issue, however.

Last edited:
Yes it does not effect the flight, Ive been using it since i got the mavic on new years. I have already bought two more for when i get my mavic back. $14 is cheap insurance for over water. I never would of found it without it and would of had to make a state farm claim which I'd rather not.

Cool, glad to hear the getterback works. I got one too just for flying over water.

I wasn't impressed with the Getterback until I read your post and saw your video. I will be filming a lot of inshore fishing trips this spring. The deepest water in the bay that I fish is 90ft but I'm mostly in 25-60'. I just ordered the Getterback on Amazon. I'm glad to hear it worked out for you and the water was relatively calm. My biggest problem is tide and seas that change instantly, which would make finding that float pretty hard if its rough. Its still worth the $14 to get a chance to recover the Mavic to send DJI for replacement. Thanks for sharing your unfortunate experience with us!

I wasn't impressed with the Getterback until I read your post and saw your video. I will be filming a lot of inshore fishing trips this spring. The deepest water in the bay that I fish is 90ft but I'm mostly in 25-60'. I just ordered the Getterback on Amazon. I'm glad to hear it worked out for you and the water was relatively calm. My biggest problem is tide and seas that change instantly, which would make finding that float pretty hard if its rough. Its still worth the $14 to get a chance to recover the Mavic to send DJI for replacement. Thanks for sharing your unfortunate experience with us!

yea i talked to the getterback guy and he said he is going to improve it with a newer model this year. I told him a dye pack also so when it reaches the top it has like a red oil slick to help locate it. He agreed.

Could you let us know about your refresh experience how long to get it back and all that good details! Thanks

You have been very lucky with finding that little Getterback floater on a quite big lake.
Btw. did you switch off the "Landing protection" option within the sensor advanced settings? Maybe this feature would have prevented the crash into water.

Reactions: VortexSpin
Woah... That was epic at 2:37. I kinda expected the footage to show underwater. Good thing you got your mavic back.

I'm curious as to why your MP went into the water in the first place... Did you have the downward-facing VPS turned off? Or was it the fact that it was water? Anytime I hold down on the left stick - whether I'm moving forward or just hovering - when it gets about 2' off the ground it pauses for a few seconds. If I continue to hold the stick down, it'll initiate a forced landing. But I've never seen it just keep going down smoothly until touchdown.

Reactions: Slantnose79
I'm curious as to why your MP went into the water in the first place... Did you have the downward-facing VPS turned off? Or was it the fact that it was water? Anytime I hold down on the left stick - whether I'm moving forward or just hovering - when it gets about 2' off the ground it pauses for a few seconds. If I continue to hold the stick down, it'll initiate a forced landing. But I've never seen it just keep going down smoothly until touchdown.

I was in sports mode plus the sensor does not work over water states the manual

You have been very lucky with finding that little Getterback floater on a quite big lake.
Btw. did you switch off the "Landing protection" option within the sensor advanced settings? Maybe this feature would have prevented the crash into water.

The gps shows last location that's how I was able to pinpoint the last known location of the mavic. Just don't shut off the controller and you can trace it down

I think the sport mode turns off the visual sensors, but not the sonar. Either way, clearly it didn't see the water coming. Sorry for the loss...

The sonar seems to partially shutdown if "Landing protection" will be disabled. In this case the Mavic doesn't stop descending in 50cm altitude but just follows the sticks until touchdown. And you can hover even in few cm altitude. The sonar is then just used for better keeping actual altitude while hovering.

Last edited:
Drop mine yesterday to muddy river.Found it today.What would you recommend to do?Tab water then distilled water and after that to dry one week at rice?

I do a lot of IT supply ordering for our company so I've accumulated a sizable amount of the silicon packs often included to absorb moisture. I don't know if they'd work any better than rice and I hope I never have to find out!

It would depend on the state of the water. Smooth as glass would be the worst. Lots of small ripples and small waves probably enough to avoid collision with the surface.

I do a lot of IT supply ordering for our company so I've accumulated a sizable amount of the silicon packs often included to absorb moisture. I don't know if they'd work any better than rice and I hope I never have to find out!

You can "recharge" (or rather discharge the moisture) the packs by putting them in the oven for a few hours at a warm temp. Then seal them up so they don't "reload" with water. (ps: it's silica).

A food dehydrator is my plan. Oops was. Crashed into some powder snow the other day. After removing most by hand and wiping off the obvious, put it in there at about 45°C for 12 hours. Dry as a bone after. (Didn't put the battery in there, however).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe