DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Criminal Drone Operators caught - Updated - NOT GUILTY!

It doesnt matter how many laws they make, and without starting something, but like gun laws, guns don't shoot people on their own, people do. More drone laws won't help the drone didn't fly on it's own . Keep the government out as much as you can. Harsher penalties in my opinion is the only thing that would help.
We need the laws to be enforced as well, un-enforced laws are useless and encourage bad behavior...be safe, fly smart

For several issues of this blog, I have asked if anyone has had experience trying to get permits to fly drone for tourism/hobby in Madagascar, where I am planning a trip next year. I am working with a 3rd party found on the web who will apply for drone permission from any country for a fee ($49.00), to be charged if permit is awarded. I just heard back from that company that drones are only permissible in Madagascar for indoor use!!! How ridiculous is that? As far as sneaking one in your luggage, the luggage is x-rayed and they can confiscate the drone at customs, never to be returned. Am not willing to sacrifice my $800 Mavic Air for the risk of confiscation at the beginning of a nice adventure trip!

It's hard to underestimate the harm the Gatwick Drone criminals have caused to the hobby. Not to mention intentionally disrupting hundreds of flights over a 36 hour period and shutting down a busy airport. Wow. I seriously hope they toss this pair into a wood chipper made of thousands of carbon fiber drone blades. If this doesn't get drones totally banned I don't know what will.

2 arrested in Gatwick Airport drone disruptions | CBC News
They were released , wrong people.

Gatwick made to look shamefully stupid lacking in Technology for Combat Drone Terrorism.
They haven't even heard if electronic pulse Drone Guns used in the States and this year in Australian Commonwealth Games **Screenshot_20181230-045811_Google.jpg

Well, we have the same problem in the United States! I just don't understand why you would even think about flying a drone any where near an Airport, let alone ground aircraft's s for a few days. This is going to be a problem and it only going to get worse I can tell ya that! I am in the process of studying for my Part 107 Exam b/c I want to have that knowledge and make some money on my Aerial shots!

Wow. Sorry for starting this thread. Looks like the couple accused was totally innocent. In fact there's some question as to whether drones were even ever present at the airport. Getting tough to know what to believe. But at least it's a good lesson for me - don't assume because somebody is arrested that they are automatically guilty.

I'm an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer and have a Private Pilot Licence also own a Mavic Pro. In the early days of Drones I could not understand how anybody can buy an aircraft without any training or knowledge of Aviation Law and fly where and when they want. I still don't understand it. I can't jump into an aircraft and fly it when i want, first I have to prove to the owner that I'm competent and then have to be tested regularly.

A bird ingested into an engine can create havoc, a bird is relatively soft. A rock hard battery hitting a fan blade doesn't bear thinking about.

Pic 1, bird impact was exactly where the pilot's head is.

Pic 2, is 3rd stage blades, 4th stage damaged as well, probably 500mm into the engine.

View attachment 56582View attachment 56583

From day 1 it should have been a requirement to pass a test and register prior to purchase, including the make and serial number for traceability.

After all, the government chase you if you haven't paid a TV licence or not paid your road tax. All drones could have been traced.

It's just another case in this country that freedom is taken to the extreme by self-righteous morons, do what you want and don't consider others. The normal, law-abiding people suffer from these actions.

Where next???...........................Heathrow?

I'm a pilot, too, but what I do not understand is why drones are being treated as 'different' from any other model aircraft. I have several times had to abort landings on a 'shared' airfield as the big heavy model jets flashed by in front of me and the pilots of those seemed far less in control of their aircraft than was necessary.

Drones default to hover and, to me, seem much safer -- of course they are dangerous if flown by a malicious pilot, but big model aircraft are much less predictable and are dangerous even when flown by a benign pilot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pietros
I'm a pilot, too, but what I do not understand is why drones are being treated as 'different' from any other model aircraft. I have several times had to abort landings on a 'shared' airfield as the big heavy model jets flashed by in front of me and the pilots of those seemed far less in control of their aircraft than was necessary.

Drones default to hover and, to me, seem much safer -- of course they are dangerous if flown by a malicious pilot, but big model aircraft are much less predictable and are dangerous even when flown by a benign pilot.

You nailed it when you referred to the fact that drones (at least GPS enabled ones) default to "hover" mode. I think a lot of the paranoia is centered around a drone's ability to hover over properties and outside windows invading people's privacy by taking pictures.

You can't do that with fixed-wing UAVs except for the rare models that, in-flight, can convert to hover mode.

Interesting thread, though the title DID "convict" these two before any trial. I am a newbie to this hobby, and hope to get my Part107 Cert and required NC permits, so that I can maybe make a bit of money at it someday.

I am hoping that this seeming non-incident has no more affect on rules and regulations than what a couple of kids did with pressure cookers in Boston some years ago. I still don't see any registration, training or licensing happening before one can buy a pressure cooker, even though, in the wrong hands, they can be deadly.

I think the vast majority of us, here, do wish to be safe and responsible. Calling for complete pilot certification before one can even buy a consumer drone is overkill, in my opinion. Where and how would a newcomer learn to fly (in ATTI mode, nonetheless), and how much would it cost?

Does everyone also need to learn to drive a stick-shift car? Does a wannabe cook need a license before buying a pressure-cooker? Even rocks can be deadly in the wrong hands ... do we need a permit before being able to pick one up?

You nailed it when you referred to the fact that drones (at least GPS enabled ones) default to "hover" mode. I think a lot of the paranoia is centered around a drone's ability to hover over properties and outside windows invading people's privacy by taking pictures.

You can't do that with fixed-wing UAVs except for the rare models that, in-flight, can convert to hover mode.
Nobody likes things that are "NEW" they want to be the first to get them outlawed banned etc. Its nothing but a big game to them. Watch the next new fad will take over and drones will fall off the radar just like every other bit of "NEW TECH".

If governments were not idiots, they better have to focus on doing a better communication about existing laws, spreading useful informations about restrictions, pilot's rights, and flight rules to the most people using medias, instead of always enforce laws and killing the hobby...

Sad to see governments don't seem to head the right way... :(

I hope all the members on this site who played judge, jury and executioner towards this couple, will place a apology towards them. How would you have felt if it was your family.
Absolutely horrible what the police and media have done, nobody thinks before they type anymore you are guilty instantly now.

Maybe they should prosecute the media for inciting panic, it is illegal to yell fire in a movie theater, it should be equally illegal to scream drone sighted, when there is no evidence to back up the claim.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat