DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CrystalSky 5.5" Initial Review

I dont think a spark is intented for anything production wise or even for anthing more than a social media post. Def not something you will need speed / agility...

I am using the base of the SkyReat tablet holder. it happened to have a hole in so i jsut bolted the dji mount to it. It works and its only 30g heavier than my ipad mini 4 setup on mavic controller.

I will take out the rubbers when i go to work on monday as i dont have a small star key. It might fit, but it will be very close.

Im using the skyreat ipad / tablet holder
I'm pretty sure on the DJI website (last time I checked) the specs for the smaller version listed the thickness as 19mm and the larger version is 17mm.

That just seemed odd to me and backwards.

When I measured the arms without the grip inserts I measured 17mm.

I can't wait to hear what you find out when you remove the grips.

Thanks,
Rob

Reactions: Sndflea
Thanks for this - looks good. I keep saying - I am happy to be locked into their own apps if I can see where I'm flying. I find an iPad/iphone just stresses me out with trying to see the controls and also where I'm flying in anything other than a very cloudy day. The time we get sunshine in the UK it's not a pleasant experience. This does look like it will do the job.

What is the mount you used? Looks like the DJI mount but what else? Did the rubber removal work? I think CS might be too thick still.

You've almost helped me decide on the Mavic as my second drone alongside my p4p- was considering the Spark... but this looks like it will suit my longer term needs much better.
I dont think a spark is intented for anything production wise or even for anthing more than a social media post. Def not something you will need speed / agility...

I am using the base of the SkyReat tablet holder. it happened to have a hole in so i jsut bolted the dji mount to it. It works and its only 30g heavier than my ipad mini 4 setup on mavic controller.

Oh I know it's not for any production but I was thinking the Spark is just fun to toss in the air when you need to get something fun for a blog or something but I have a feeling after coming from a P4P I would be disappointed with most of the things.. and this is why 99% I'm getting a mavic!

The big screen is smaller (thinner)

I just mounted it to the mavic remote and it might be my new screen of choice. Will report back

Reactions: RobP62

I just mounted it to the mavic remote and it might be my new screen of choice. Will report back
This is stupid DJI getting things wrong? Why would they make the bigger screen compatible with the smaller devices - get it wrong and wrong enough to put it on the site that it's not compatible! I wanted the ultra brightness screen but the blurb said its only the 5.5 for the Osmo etc.

Mounted in Mavic Pro arms? or with DJI bracket/skyret holder?

Also quick question: Will the 5.5 CrystalSky battery clamp into the Mavic Pro RC arms? If possible quick demo like this would be awesome or pictures:
Tight hold?
Joystick movement?

Thanks

So now I'm confused...Are you saying that the larger version of the CrystalSky fits within the standard Mavic RC?

i have not tried with the stock mavic holder. I have a table mount (3rd party) that ive bolted the dji mount to.

I will try today and post some pictures

i have not tried with the stock mavic holder. I have a table mount (3rd party) that ive bolted the dji mount to.

I will try today and post some pictures
Thanks...there are just way too many varying stories regarding the fitment and I don't understand why. Either it fits or it doesn't and DJI Support is no help as usual.

Yea, I want to see one mounted in the Mavic Controller arms like a phone, without any other adapter, plate, or whatever. Either the smaller version or the larger version.

Rob

Reactions: Sndflea
I've been looking at this..

Mavic Pro Crystal Sky Mounting Bracket (3-5 day Processing Time) - FlyHighUSA

Looks like a decent solution for 30 dollars. I need the DJI bracket for it too. My plan is to get 2 brackets. One for my P4P and one for that plate to hold it in the mavic control. I'll leave one mount on the CS screen.

I'm also guessing that I can use that mavic plate and bracket combo in my osmo device holder, based on the assumption the mavic and osmo device holder are of similar sizes to accommodate a smart phone.

here you go:

The 5.5" can sorta fit into the mavic grips if you remove the rubber. It basically fits just between the recessed bezel. Its decently snug that if i was flying while sitting down it would probably be fine. Its not the most secure, but if you are trying to minimize your payload it def works.

HQ1JHUuh.jpg

n2AFmfUh.jpg

wdbiuFVh.jpg

here you go:

The 5.5" can sorta fit into the mavic grips if you remove the rubber. It basically fits just between the recessed bezel. Its decently snug that if i was flying while sitting down it would probably be fine. Its not the most secure, but if you are trying to minimize your payload it def works.

HQ1JHUuh.jpg

n2AFmfUh.jpg

wdbiuFVh.jpg

Thanks for this. soo close.

here you go:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! Thumbswayup

Yea, that is just in there by the hair of it's chinny chin chin. I have to agree with you about it maybe being not so secure. In the third photo It looks like it rests a little too on the angled bracket that the arm rotates on when extended so that is a good thing.

I see pressure sensitive buttons along the right edge on the face, and physical buttons along the right side, and I assume the cable comes out of the left side, but what is on the back of the unit along the sides where the bottom of the controller arms are gripping?

Question: Do you need to press those physical buttons at any time during use?

Here's a thought..... I wonder if you added a thin strip of velcro (the Loop, aka the softer fuzzy side) to the back of the unit, along the edge for as long as it contacts the controller arm, 1/4" wide (RED, below) , then another thin strip of velcro (the Loop, aka the soft fuzzy side) along the entire length of the controller arm (RED, below), then you use a strip of the Hook (the rough rigid part) as wide as it takes to span and contact both RED strips from the back of the unit to the controller arm to secure both (BLUE, below)? Here's a diagram:

CS_VELCRO_SETUP.JPG

I bet if you did that then there would be no way for that CrystalSky to fall out at all.

I just don't see how having it mounted to a bracket and then a plate in the arms is any different than any other type of device. except of course for the fact that this is designed to be used for this sole purpose only, which in my mind makes it superior to anything else. I would be willing to use velcro if needed to ensure it doesn't come lose.

Rob

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! Thumbswayup

Yea, that is just in there by the hair of it's chinny chin chin. I have to agree with you about it maybe being not so secure. In the third photo It looks like it rests a little too on the angled bracket that the arm rotates on when extended so that is a good thing.

I see pressure sensitive buttons along the right edge on the face, and physical buttons along the right side, and I assume the cable comes out of the left side, but what is on the back of the unit along the sides where the bottom of the controller arms are gripping?

Question: Do you need to press those physical buttons at any time during use?

Here's a thought..... I wonder if you added a thin strip of velcro (the Loop, aka the softer fuzzy side) to the back of the unit, along the edge for as long as it contacts the controller arm, 1/4" wide (RED, below) , then another thin strip of velcro (the Loop, aka the soft fuzzy side) along the entire length of the controller arm (RED, below), then you use a strip of the Hook (the rough rigid part) as wide as it takes to span and contact both RED strips from the back of the unit to the controller arm to secure both (BLUE, below)? Here's a diagram:

View attachment 16016

I bet if you did that then there would be no way for that CrystalSky to fall out at all.

I just don't see how having it mounted to a bracket and then a plate in the arms is any different than any other type of device. except of course for the fact that this is designed to be used for this sole purpose only, which in my mind makes it superior to anything else. I would be willing to use velcro if needed to ensure it doesn't come lose.

Rob

Well I would prefer to have the monitor Velcro free and just use the DJI bracket and the mechanism to dock it.
You'd think the official mavic mount would use the same dock/connection as the DJI bracket that's out now. That would be logical but then we are talking about DJI and logic does not feature too highly.

Well I would prefer to have the monitor Velcro free and just use the DJI bracket and the mechanism to dock it.
You'd think the official mavic mount would use the same dock/connection as the DJI bracket that's out now. That would be logical but then we are talking about DJI and logic does not feature too highly.

Yea, I agree, for the money of all things considered having to resort to using $3.00 worth of velcro to make it work seems like BS.
But the softer Hook side is all that would be exposed when it isn't in use and that's not bad. And if you use a higher quality version
of the stuff then it is pretty decent on the eye. Heck, maybe some Loop mounted to the lid of your case and then the monitor
becomes part of a ground station so to speak.

I still would rather have the monitor on the same plane as the controller and not elevated or blocking the screen of the controller.
If I was going to go that route then I would be using my 12.2" Galaxy Tab Pro, and would wipe all the apps off of it. But like so many
other flyers out there, I want the piece of mind knowing it wont disconnect or whatever. I want the joy back. When my phone (S7E)
works, it's great but there is so much stress wondering when it wont work.

Maybe the larger CrystalSky is the ticket since according to DJI it is thinner.
Rob

Yea, I agree, for the money of all things considered having to resort to using $3.00 worth of velcro to make it work seems like BS.
But the softer Hook side is all that would be exposed when it isn't in use and that's not bad. And if you use a higher quality version
of the stuff then it is pretty decent on the eye. Heck, maybe some Loop mounted to the lid of your case and then the monitor
becomes part of a ground station so to speak.

I still would rather have the monitor on the same plane as the controller and not elevated or blocking the screen of the controller.
If I was going to go that route then I would be using my 12.2" Galaxy Tab Pro, and would wipe all the apps off of it. But like so many
other flyers out there, I want the piece of mind knowing it wont disconnect or whatever. I want the joy back. When my phone (S7E)
works, it's great but there is so much stress wondering when it wont work.

Maybe the larger CrystalSky is the ticket since according to DJI it is thinner.
Rob

Larger perhaps but then there's the weight trade off. Personally if I was going for the larger one I'll get the ultra bright but then it's costly and obviously more bulky to carry around. Probably a lot more difficult to carry when using my osmo handle. Probably be a little unwieldy

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf