DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DCRainmaker's extreme wind test video is up! Classic.

boldblue737

Reactions
DCRainmaker always tests every DJI drone in extreme winds near the sea and the Mini 3 Pro is no exception, very cool video of what this 248g drone can do!

Also yesterday he posted a test of the active track system of the Mini 3 Pro in difficult obstacle environments, not just someone running around in an empty field being chased by a drone.

Reactions: PHZ and oztx
Fair play to him for the testing but a bit of common sense wouldn't go amiss. Stood 12ft to landward, where he dumped all his gear, and he and the drone would have been out of a sprayed area. If that's saltwater then as things now stand he's now got a salt water wetted drone and controller, 9:38 plus any spray he flew the drone through elsewhere whilst low.

Fair play to him for the testing but a bit of common sense wouldn't go amiss. Stood 12ft to landward, where he dumped all his gear, and he and the drone would have been out of a sprayed area, as things now stand he's now got a salt water wetted drone.

I guess this area in the Netherlands where he lives has these conditions all the time and the craziness of the situation people couldn't believe when he first did it (and I assume the videos did well) so now he does it all the time with every new drone. I don't think it is supposed to be a test of conditions you would ever actually fly in but rather an absurd demonstration of how the drones cope with horrible conditions so you can be confident they will do well in your more realistic environments.

Reactions: Torque and Coskier
I was commenting on the fact that he stood in an area that is spray wetted, the concrete was wet. If he had stood where he dumped his gear, look at 8:44, he and the drone would have been dry.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
I was commenting on the fact that he stood in an area that is spray wetted, the concrete was wet. If he had stood where he dumped his gear, look at 8:44, he and the drone would have been dry.
Not as dramatic though. And his vids probably earn enough to replace the drone and then some.

Great video. So you can grab the drone from the bottom and flip it over and it will turn off the props? Who knew???

A nice wind test to push the drone's limits :)...however...

4min50... the classic "sailboat analogy" myth when fighting against a headwind getting perpetuated 😞

Generally Ray is pretty good with getting the technical detail right so was quite disappointed to hear him put this forward as a "tip". If your drone is really struggling to make progress into a headwind then zig zagging like a sailboat when it tacks will only fool yourself into thinking you're making better progress while using up battery. Sailboats have their hull in water and their sail in the wind (2 very different and separate moving bodies) and hence behave differently to drones, which don't (hopefully!) have any part of them in the water. Your only real options are to lower the drone to hopefully get into slower wind closer to ground, or find an alternative destination that is less up-wind (ie head downwind and land).

He gets it right at 8:22 when he talks about "emergency outs".

Where did someone ask about FpV drones, we don't even have a section on this forum for them.
Because there isn't a Mavic FPV.
However I love the "Turtle Mode" on my DJI FPV drone! If it lands on its back, Turtle Mode, accessed via the menu, will use the props to flip it upright again. Pretty amazing.

I'm not seeing any ads. Where's the revenue coming from?

He makes his $ from people who use his referral codes and subscribe as supporters to his site.

He’s also adamant that he returns everything that he tests and buys his own if he really likes the product (he says he’s going to buy a Mini 3 with RC controller). He also says he doesn’t let manufacturers see his reviews in advance of publication and makes no promises on what he will say (if anything).

I have been following him for more than ten years and find his sports tech reviews extremely credible. Drone reviews are newer for him, but they also seem credible, especially the wind and sports tracking tests.

Because there isn't a Mavic FPV.
However I love the "Turtle Mode" on my DJI FPV drone! If it lands on its back, Turtle Mode, accessed via the menu, will use the props to flip it upright again. Pretty amazing.
Exactly, if you want to talk about FPV then go here, if not then just leave it out of the conversation.

• Haha
Reactions: Torque
He mentioned "all drones," which is why I said that. It's fair to assume to camera drone hobbyists may also try FPV, especially with DJI now having an offering.

Well I don't fly FPV drones so I really did not know they did not have a safety option of shutting down to prevent damage but then again I don't fly drones, only the military fly drones as far as I know. I try to fly UAV's so my neighbours don't think I am a terrorist. Point being we are talking about normal Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems that are on this forum.

• Haha
Well I don't fly FPV drones so I really did not know they did not have a safety option of shutting down to prevent damage but then again I don't fly drones, only the military fly drones as far as I know. I try to fly UAV's so my neighbours don't think I am a terrorist. Point being we are talking about normal Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems that are on this forum.
So both the word "drone" and the acronym "FPV" are triggers eh?
The scroll button works as a great therapy tool!

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark