DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dealing with pests

princeofthehouse

Reactions
Hello everyone,

So let me lay it out for you, I went flying Sunday, unpacking guy runs past "OMG is that a Mavic? WOW!!"
all good thus far.
3 gentleman walk up, ask questions, I take some footage with quick shots and give them a copy. very good and friendly.

then this chap comes up, you can watch video to see, just pulled from the phone cache..

So I do some quick shots and he ORDERS his girlfriend to come over and see.
That cup of his is not full of water based on their statements, he was clearly on something and as things progressed increasingly rude and obnoxious.
His girlfriend on the other hand was very much a lady, friendly, polite, told him off for many things including some rather rude comments and questions and for leaning on my car.
He kept begging for a chance to fly it, pleading like a child.
I directly told her she could do better and that he did not deserve her, she agreed.
He I don't think knew how to process such bluntness.

He then requested some pictures of them kissing and such, the poor girl was clearly unimpressed with him. so I did a shot or 2 and video from quick shots and got her e-mail to send them to her.
with her suggested subject line of "your boyfriend is a...." well word I can not use here.

Tried to send the shots and e-mail has limits, can get around easy just not bothered yet.

She was wonderful, he was a...

So I will sort the picture and video later and I intend to tell her she really should find a gentleman.

Anyway so my question to you all, while we often discuss hostile encounters.
how has been your experience dealing with this sort of overly "friendly" encounter?

enjoy the video, apologies for the editing but was just a quick bit of editing while rushing around not a attempt to do it properly.

I was tempted to leave his face uncovered fully but I am not that way inclined.

Before you comment on how I handled him, do remember I am "British" :)

His way of speaking/interrupting/insisting/overtalking reminds me of Ben Kingsley in "Sexy Beast". Quite annoying.

I go out of my way when I fly to not be anywhere that I will encounter other people. Others feel differently about this, but I'm just there to take shots, not to sell the pastime to other people.

Reactions: vtcats
well honestly last 2 times I went there no one else was around, let alone hanging out there.

I don't tend to mind the attention most of the time as it tends to be minimal and positive and I have made many children smile and parents happy by showing their kids and providing them pictures and video clips.
When I am flying for the sake of flying it is less of a concern or when I am testing, I have 3 batteries.
If I was somewhere specifically to get a shot then I would care more about interruptions.
Yes his manner of talking was irritating.

Last edited:
Granted, I do not have a lot of experience flying, but I was asked twice so far. Once it was a kid at a field, with his father around. I politely told him no, and that I am still learning. Other time it was mu drunk friend, who wanted to fly it off a roof of a building.

well honestly last 2 times I went there no one else was around, let alone hanging out there.

I don't tend to mind the attention most of the time as it tends to be minimal and positive and I have made many children smile and parents happy by showing their kids and providing them pictures and video clips.
When I am flying for the sake of flying it is less of a concern or when I am testing, I have 3 batteries.
If I was somewhere specifically to get a shot then I would care more about interruptions.
Yes his manner of talking was irritating.
I used to have a lot of people crowding me when I was landing my Inspire Pro. They'd just walk right up to it while it was hovering... a buzzsaw just inches from their faces. Honestly, some people have no common sense. I would think with the Mavic it would be worse, since it seems much more toy-like.

But yup, everyone is curious, and not all have good intentions. But for me, out of sight, out of mind has served me best. The Mavic has a lot of distance capability, so fortunately I can often fly it from an obscure location, and land in such a way that it does not give away my location -- ie not landing straight down, but rather decreasing altitude while flying a wide circular pattern. This helps a lot if I'm flying to shoot industrial sites with lots of security running around :)

I would have shut that guy down a lot quicker than you did - guess I'm not as polite.

"Sorry, my friend: this is very expensive and easy to crash. No way in **** I would let anyone else touch this controller. You're welcome to watch."

And if he kept on: "Hey, man... it's very difficult for me to fly while someone's talking to me, so if you don't mind, I'm gonna ask if you could let me alone for now. Thanks! I appreciate that! "

If he still persisted, I'd go into complete IGNORE mode, land ASAP, and drive off without another word. (Maybe a finger as I drove away).

I have no problem sharing my enthusiasm, educating others on drones, or answering questions. But as soon as someone shows that they lack basic social etiquette, have no manners, or are drunk: (like that guy did) all bets are off - GOODBYE!

I wish you would've said, "You fly planes??? Surely you're not stupid enough to let a total stranger fly your plane right?"

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one reason I try to fly in more remote areas. When I have flown in public places, most people are just curious and watch, but no one has been like this guy! Sorry you had to deal with that!

I was filming a job yesterday and a guy came and hovered very close over my shoulder, I could see his reflection in my iPad, but he just hovered there for the longest time. Then he started talking... and wouldn't stop, I don't mind so much when I'm flying recreationally but when I'm on the clock it's different, I had to re-do 4 shots after he left, I guess I'm not good at multi-tasking LOL. I was even wearing my vest, it didn't help this time :confused:
502510735.jpg

I admire your patience. I would have invited him to go forth and procreate but I guess that is hard when you have a drone in the air.

Indeed, ultimately though I had several solutions to deal with him had the situation called for it.

you may or may not realize this but that is a rather steep hill we are standing atop....

Indeed, ultimately though I had several solutions to deal with him had the situation called for it.

you may or may not realize this but that is a rather steep hill we are standing atop....
Haha!

I typically prep my craft for flight while sitting in the car. I'll place it just outside of the vehicle and launch after receiving enough satellites.

It is hard to go unobserved Launch and recovery are the big attention getters.

I was in my usual flying spot one day, pretty secluded, enjoying myself,
then from behind me I hear

"how high is that thing, are you spying on the neighbors, I don't see it are you too far out, are you supposed to be that far out, do you have enough battery to make it back, why do you like flying these, it don't look too fun,
how old are you, you should sell these on eBay and buy me something, did you fix the trim on the stairs yet, did you call the bank yet, what did they say, when are you going to fix the switch on the ceiling fan,will you take my car up and filled up with gas later... man I was having a fun time too!
I got to find me a new spot to fly.

Reactions: Dw911 and Hobbs
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven