DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disappointed in range around trees

dacarter

Reactions
I live on 4 acres that is completely wooded with tall pine trees. I took the Mavic up through an opening in the trees this afternoon and flew about 900-1000' away, 125' high, and completely lost signal several times. I know trees degrade radio signals but I didn't think it would be this bad. I was standing next to our garage which is a metal building and it seemed to get better when I moved further from it, but it still surprised me to lose signal that close to home.

How many tree's are we talking here? A 1000'+ forest of trees will certainly cause issues. Wood will attenuate WiFi signals resulting in packet loss and signal loss. The Mavic RC is like a very strong wireless router in your home, and you're attempting to put many walls between you and the router.

This shot shows the thickness of the trees looking the direction that I flew and the metal building.DJI_0008.JPG

You can try flying higher so the signal doesn't have to pass through as many trees, else maybe try an autopilot flight?

yeah higher would probably work better. I'll do some testing. I'm loving the mav overall, this was just a minor annoyance. I put it in sport mode this evening for the first time in a very tight area over the driveway, that was tense but fun. (that 2nd shot has convinced me I need to clean the pine needles off the patio cover this weekend)

Trees, trees, trees. Going to need Litchi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tried flying from this nice open area to the right of your house? From there it would just a few treetops between you and the aircraft if you keep it high enough.

Reactions: JMF
The Google images are a couple of years old. That open area near the sewage treatment plant is now completely full of houses.

Yeah, I'll definitely be flying in other open areas, but I also wanted to be able to explore the undeveloped areas behind my property and check out wildlife, and the creek when there's a flood event. Nothing like the convenience of flying at home. I'm thinking more altitude will fix the issue. I'll report back on this.

FWIW - I live in a forest too, and I can get great reception with the Mavic Pro through the trees compared to my P3P. There will always be a limit to how much video you will be able to get through trees and such though.

Reactions: adam.clark.18488169
I flew the same route today, this time at 150-175' and it worked much better. I went a lot further away and didn't drop below 3 bars.

So now you just need to build a tall tree house higher then the tallest tree and you can have a direct line of sight over the tree tops.

Sounds like fun if you ask me. LOL

Reactions: BangkokFlyBoy
Just a matter of physics, like tinfoil in a microwave oven. These frequencies are absorbed and scattered by leafy material, and are blocked by stone material. You get what you get, and you don't get upset.

Yeah, line of sight is not just the FAA rule but the practical limitation of the Mavic's choice of GHz frequency.

Sent from my XT1650 using MavicPilots mobile app

yeah higher would probably work better. I'll do some testing. I'm loving the mav overall, this was just a minor annoyance. I put it in sport mode this evening for the first time in a very tight area over the driveway, that was tense but fun. (that 2nd shot has convinced me I need to clean the pine needles off the patio cover this weekend)

Congrats on your new toy.

haha.. Use the Mavic as a leaf blower.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lobodevich