DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disappointed in range around trees

Following on from Post #36 (agree 100% by the way @Infinite 1) ... Trees are a nightmare for any radio frequency (RF) link.
Pines are evergreens and will always give you trouble, but you'll get even more RF attenuation on a wet day ...
You'll get less attenuation through deciduous trees in winter, as they will have no leaves. It's the leaves that hold the water - and water will attenuate RF a lot. Your trees in post #30 @locoman - are deciduous with the leaves gone to colour - which means they are dried and about to fall off. You may have a lot more trouble flying after rain with the trees in that condition, but on a dry day, those trees will be pretty much transparent to RF. In my day-job, if we were asked to jnstall a WiFi link between buildings, and there was a hedge or trees in the way, we would be looking to remove a section of hedge, or a tree or two to ensure a clear line-of-sight.

Well I finally broke down and got an MP Alpine and the range with Occsuync is astoundly better through trees than the Spark's WiFi. It has to be seen to be believed honestly. While the Spark really needs LOS (especially in 2.4) you can fly your back to the MP with a forest in the middle and it doens't miss a beat. That also means that you can get closer to the ground (with a proper altitude set for RTH of course) and get some nice shots.

So the MP Alpine was great for range, especially through trees (up to 1K no problem) but I just couldn't deal with the tilted horizon as soon as I rotated it, even very gently, before it settled. So my new question, is how the Air handles flying "through" trees with its "enhanced WiFi" ? You find dozens of LOS and Urban range tests on YouTube but none of "flying through trees" ;-) Thanks !

You can always modify your remote to use different antennas to help with this

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
activmonk