DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disappointed in range around trees

So, I'm fairly new. I have the same problem. Actually I am scared sh!tless to fly over the trees. Can I set waypoints and have it cover and area and it will come back to me?

So, I'm fairly new. I have the same problem. Actually I am scared sh!tless to fly over the trees. Can I set waypoints and have it cover and area and it will come back to me?

Just set your RTH options properly. Then fly it. It will come back if you lose signal. If you don't get where you need to go.. spend the few bucks on Litchi. You can fly programmed flights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

c375ca76631a4c29e443932bb66edb78.jpg

I had no issues over the trees at 393 feet. It's winter here, so no leaves on the trees. Not sure if that would make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Like it's been said here. Trust that the RTH function will work if it's loses signal. Practice manually doing a RTH as well as cancelling a RTH. Get in the habit of ensuring a correct home point has been stored before flying away.

Reactions: Bob Royall
Interesting thread, I've been happily flying my Spark for a few months and getting about 1.5km range with direct LOS but was in the mountains last week flying uphill (to avoid built up areas) and found that even a few trees dropped the range dramatically, like down to 300 meters before RTH. It doesn't sound like the Mavic would do a lot better then in spit of Occusync ?

So you have trees in your line of sight/between the RC and the Mavic ? How much range do you get ?

I will lose sight of my MP with in a couple hundred feet, as soon as it gets past the row of 60' pine trees along my back Property line. Then I will continue to fly over density oak and Maple woods. the furthest I have flown over the wooded area has been about a mile. I suppose I could fly further, but so far I chose not to.

And at what altitude do you fly once you lose sight of it ? In any case that's impressive, it clearly handles trees much better than the Spark !

I try to keep it above 90', when I fly up the hill to the bike trail, which is about a mile away, I will fly about 120'. It is all mature trees around my house and many acres of park land and woods northeast of me. There was only one time I wasn't paying attention and flew right through a V in the tree crown. Didn't know it until I was watching the video of the flight. I guess the Big Mavic in the Sky was looking out for me. since then I watch my altitude closer when it is out of sight.

Last edited:
Happened to me with my Bebop 2 with my first programmed flight !

Anyway thanks for pitching in, I'll probably stick with the little Spark for now since the extra range would be more for "exploring" than doing anything really useful ;-)

I’m in the same boat as OP, lots of mature trees around me. I’m actually blown away by how far my MP flew! I’ve only done a couple flights but man, it’s scary flying up over trees lol

How far was that? And the trees were in your LOS ?

I flew about a half mile, no LOS. It’s a forest with no homes or power lines.

Thanks, so that's about 2.5x what I got with the Spark, pretty consistent with the extra range ratio with LOS.

Last edited:
Reactions: SprayingMango
Just a matter of physics, like tinfoil in a microwave oven. These frequencies are absorbed and scattered by leafy material, and are blocked by stone material. You get what you get, and you don't get upset.

New here first post as I am thinking of getting a mpp

My time working with Radios in a previous job thought me that pine needles absorb rf signals more than any other tree. Reason being is the wave length of 2.4 ghz is about as long as most pine needles and all those needles act as miniature antennas sucking up rf. Of course all these needles are different sizes so there is a spectrum around 2.4 it will attenuate. Also around 4.8 and 9.6

Frequency - Wavelength Chart

Wavelength chart. 2.5 ghz is 12 cm. Roughly 1/2 inch. Look at those pine needles!

Congrats on your new toy.

haha.. Use the Mavic as a leaf blower.
actually it was stuffy here at home so i turned my mp on and used it as a fan,worked great

Yeah, I'll definitely be flying in other open areas, but I also wanted to be able to explore the undeveloped areas behind my property and check out wildlife, and the creek when there's a flood event. Nothing like the convenience of flying at home. I'm thinking more altitude will fix the issue. I'll report back on this.
You might find that if you move away from tree's (if that's possible) and fly higher you will get the range you are after. If you look off into the distance through a clearing you realise how far you can go with complete line of sight.

Interesting thread, I've been happily flying my Spark for a few months and getting about 1.5km range with direct LOS but was in the mountains last week flying uphill (to avoid built up areas) and found that even a few trees dropped the range dramatically, like down to 300 meters before RTH. It doesn't sound like the Mavic would do a lot better then in spit of Occusync ?

Well I finally broke down and got an MP Alpine and the range with Occsuync is astoundly better through trees than the Spark's WiFi. It has to be seen to be believed honestly. While the Spark really needs LOS (especially in 2.4) you can fly your back to the MP with a forest in the middle and it doens't miss a beat. That also means that you can get closer to the ground (with a proper altitude set for RTH of course) and get some nice shots.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
activmonk