DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Distance requirement for flying near prisons.

Carb63

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I have a question, maybe you guys can help me out. I live near an airport that is 7.5 miles away from my doorstep. However, I have a prison in between the airport and myself. My display started prohibited to fly NFZ. However, I'm out of the 5 miles suggested. Can it be that the NFZ is due to the prison, and if so, how do I work that to be able to fly? All feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thx in

I'd almost bet the NFZ is because of the prison. I don't know that you can (or should) work around that restriction as it's VERY touchy area to say the least.

Reactions: razoraerial
Would there be a contact site to inquire? I believe it's the prison as well, as it sits between me and the airport in the water in a different borough/county but may be within that 5 miles range. Is there a mile range that is adhered to ? This is all new to me. Thx BigAl107

Would there be a contact site to inquire? I believe it's the prison as well, as it sits between me and the airport in the water in a different borough/county but may be within that 5 miles range. Is there a mile range that is adhered to ? This is all new to me. Thx BigAl107
Go to DJI's GEO Map page. You will see that DJI has locked out prisons as they are a NFZ (same as they lock out larger airports).

Reactions: Carb63
I have a question, maybe you guys can help me out. I live near an airport that is 7.5 miles away from my doorstep. However, I have a prison in between the airport and myself. My display started prohibited to fly NFZ. However, I'm out of the 5 miles suggested. Can it be that the NFZ is due to the prison, and if so, how do I work that to be able to fly? All feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thx in

I believe you just can’t fly directly over prisons.

Never planned too. Just trying g to figure out what's the distance requirement is. I'm far from the prison. 2.5 miles. Curious if it's like the airport restrictions. With in 5 miles.

Never planned too. Just trying g to figure out what's the distance requirement is. I'm far from the prison. 2.5 miles. Curious if it's like the airport restrictions. With in 5 miles.
The NOTAMs/TFRs for federal special security facilities (which includes federal prisons) states "restrictions on drone flights up to 400 feet within the lateral boundaries of the following federal facilities: " So there's some guidance at the federal level. What DJI makes up though is anyone's guess.

Reactions: Carb63
The NOTAMs/TFRs for federal special security facilities (which includes federal prisons) states "restrictions on drone flights up to 400 feet within the lateral boundaries of the following federal facilities: " So there's some guidance at the federal level. What DJI makes up though is anyone's guess.
It's red on DJI's GEO Map so the drone should not fly within the boundaries of the prison at all.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jose Molina