DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Aeroscope Scanner

Avoid permanent monitoring of users by focusing on sensitive areas

How? By packaging aeroscope into a small, lightweight case that can be easily transported and used anywhere by anyone. Make sense?

1541882681175.png

Or you are flying a little drone (?)

View attachment 52948
Btw, this was merely PowerPoint presentation presenting Dji's Aeroscope during the announcement. The part where it shows intent is pointless from my understanding being you and I don't input any bit of information when we go out to fly our Mavic's whatsoever in regards to intent of flight.

Avoid permanent monitoring of users by focusing on sensitive areas

How? By packaging aeroscope into a small, lightweight case that can be easily transported and used anywhere by anyone. Make sense?

View attachment 52957

The purpose is so it can be deployed during special events. Not exactly long term monitoring. Mobile for that reason, also in that very article, it mentions, the drone pilots can opt to identify themselves or not, along with their intentions.

Simple answer, don't update your firmware and you'll be fine.

If user can opt out and still fly drone, are the claims made on this slide wrong?

View attachment 52959
You've got to understand, this was produced and released after mavic pro, which by then the firmwares are now "non-downgradeable" and those firmwares include the Aeroscope compliance features already.

We need to remember that in China the whole concept of personal privacy does not exist. The state has an absolute right to know everything. Why would we expect DJI to give any thought to our personal privacy?

It doesn’t exist here either. It’s an illusion. Funny how people say drones are invading their privacy when smart phones track every movement, text, photo, transaction etc.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
It doesn’t exist here either. It’s an illusion. Funny how people say drones are invading their privacy when smart phones track every movement, text, photo, transaction etc.
Lol... Right, exactly. Everyone has given up their own rights to simply accepting that little msg to have access to everything on your phone. [emoji848]

It would interesting to see what data is sent over the air. Im guessing: altitude, heading, speed, Home Point. Maybe serial number or some unique number specific to the craft. The demo that I saw revealed who the purchaser of the craft was and their DJI registration email.
First thought here is who was flying said drone when information was intercepted.

Lol... Right, exactly. Everyone has given up their own rights to simply accepting that little msg to have access to everything on your phone. [emoji848]

I do not know why you guys think that mere ownership and use of a smart phone means you should not question how and why your drone is transmitting your location, email address and who knows what to unknown third parties who are collecting and storing your information with zero accountability or legal authority.

Especially when the US Supreme Court has said that that law enforcement must have a search warrant based on probable cause to search your cell phone or use your cell phone signal to track your movements.

Last edited:
Let us not forget that it was DJI who emphasized the need to respect the privacy of drone operators. How does broadcasting the registered owners email address and who knows what to any Tom, **** or Harry with an aeroscope respect privacy?

1541917246366.png

How do we square the statement that drone does not automatically transmit personally identifiable information with those videos showing transmission of email address of registered owner?

1541917932303.png

Here is what DJI said on 10-12-2017:

DJI NEWS 2017-10-12
DJI Unveils Technology To Identify And Track Airborne Drones
AeroScope Addresses Safety, Security And Privacy Concerns While Protecting Drone Pilots

Drone identification settings will be included in DJI’s initial drone software to allow customers to choose the content of their own drone’s identification broadcast to match local expectations both before and after identification regulations are implemented in different jurisdictions. To protect customers’ privacy, the AeroScope system will not automatically transmit any personally identifiable information until regulations or policies in the pilot's jurisdiction require it.

It would interesting to see what data is sent over the air. Im guessing: altitude, heading, speed, Home Point. Maybe serial number or some unique number specific to the craft. The demo that I saw revealed who the purchaser of the craft was and their DJI registration email.
I purchased my Mavic off eBay ... Who would get the eMail if I flew into a restricted zone with one of these boxes operating in it? I don't think I've ever registered with DJI ...

After reading about Aeroscope and seeing several videos.. I had a few questions that came to mind.. maybe someone can help

What version of FIRMWARE did DJI start to Implement this on?

Are we positive occusync encrypts the data?

if occusync is encrypted why is it sending non encrypted data that can be intercepted?

Would it be possible for someone to spoof the information that is being transmitted? S/N, location

what are the possibilities of changing the encryption algorithms or the encryption keys that are being used?

Since the mavic is basally using an android OS.. couldn't someone implement a point to point tunnel between the AC and the RC and use IPSec to encrypt the "encrypted Occusyc" connection? Thus making it impossible for Aeroscope to gather the data.

Currently, two DJI products include Wi-Fi: the Mavic and the Spark. A cursory glance through
archived firmware provided by the DJI Slack Reverse engineering group indicates that DJI
implemented the Drone ID features on Mavic in mid-July, 2017.

Source: https://department13.com/dev/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Anatomy-of-DJI-Drone-ID-Implementation1.pdf

Reactions: Ping^Spike
More From DJI:

Since there is no legal requirement for remote ID yet, it is premature for DJI and aviation authorities to implement a method to secure the remote ID mechanism. When remote ID regulatory requirements come into effect, DJI is confident that AeroScope will have the ability to adapt and meet the required security needs.

How does broadcasting the registered owners email address and who knows what to any Tom, **** or Harry with an aeroscope respect privacy?

Edit....

How does broadcasting the registered owners email address and who knows what to any Tom, **** or Harry with an aeroscope a laptop running Kismet respect privacy?

Thumbswayup

How does broadcasting the registered owners email address and who knows what to any Tom, **** or Harry with an aeroscope a laptop running Kismet respect privacy?

Let me make sure I understand Kismet before I respond. Is it a program used to locate and exploit or spy on unsecure wireless networks? If so, for what purpose and by who typically?

I'm not sure where you're going with this... but I'll take the bait - to a point ;)

Let me make sure I understand Kismet before I respond.

Taken from the Kismet Wireless site:

"Kismet is a wireless network detector, sniffer, and intrusion detection system."

If so, for what purpose and by who typically?

That question is beyond the scope of a dji drone forum mate...

Reactions: Chip
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13