DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID via WiFi vs. Bluetooth

Photo Booth

Reactions
Today was the maiden flight of my new Mavic 3 Pro. While it was up, hovering 100 ft above me, I fired up the Drone Scanner Remote ID app installed on my iPhone. To my mild surprise, the app didn't find any drones whatsoever. A little research revealed that the iOS version of Drone Scanner only works with Bluetooth Remote ID. Reportedly, Apple does not allow 3rd party apps to access the WiFi feature needed for WiFi Remote ID.

I have to assume that DJI is using WiFi for Remote ID. So, it seems (currently), iOS devices cannot be used to track DJI drones via Remote ID.

After all of the controversy surrounding Remote ID, it appears iPhones can't be used to read Remote ID signals on drones made by the most popular drone manufacturer in the world. Pretty wacky.

Mark

Below is a screen grab of the description for Drone Scanner. I wonder if Apple will ever change its policy and allow Remote ID apps to have access to WiFi? Without that capability, Remote ID seems pretty toothless in the hands of 58% of the American public (iOS market share in U.S. is 57.93%). Did anyone at the FAA figure this out in advance?

Mark

i-RTnQRVB.jpg

Reactions: WanderLost
Today was the maiden flight of my new Mavic 3 Pro. While it was up, hovering 100 ft above me, I fired up the Drone Scanner Remote ID app installed on my iPhone. To my mild surprise, the app didn't find any drones whatsoever. A little research revealed that the iOS version of Drone Scanner only works with Bluetooth Remote ID. Reportedly, Apple does not allow 3rd party apps to access the WiFi feature needed for WiFi Remote ID.

I have to assume that DJI is using WiFi for Remote ID. So, it seems (currently), iOS devices cannot be used to track DJI drones via Remote ID.

After all of the controversy surrounding Remote ID, it appears iPhones can't be used to read Remote ID signals on drones made by the most popular drone manufacturer in the world. Pretty wacky.

Mark
Good. Frankly it’s shocking Android lets apps have access to view or connect to wi-fi networks.

Reactions: Desert Drone Works

Mark
Not aware of where you are but if like me you’re in the U.K. and want to register a drone with the FAA (I have a Mavic Air 2-which doesn’t have RID although I am informed firmly by DJI service Chat that the latest firmware update has it and therefore must be installed on my drone) I have to add the prefix 1581F before my existing SNumber with an 0 at the end (total 20 character) and then I will be able to re-register my craft with the FAA. it doesn’t work so I shall not be able to fly in Florida when we are there in April. Seems like DJI have made a bit of a mistake with all this. Has anyone any thoughts?

There are iPhone apps that let you connect to WiFi networks- my RTK GPS units, 3D scanner and WiFi security cameras do this. It’s all based on your App and not on IOS limitations.

Reactions: Torque
There are iPhone apps that let you connect to WiFi networks- my RTK GPS units, 3D scanner and WiFi security cameras do this. It’s all based on your App and not on IOS limitations.

I don't believe we are talking about the same thing. WiFi Direct allows two WiFi compatible devices to connect to each other WITHOUT the use of a WiFi network. Sure, I can view one of my WiFi security cameras on my iPhone but only after the security camera is on my WiFi network.

Drone Scanner needs to connect directly to the WiFi in the drone when neither the drone nor the iPhone are on a WiFi network. WiFi Direct:

Apple doesn't support WiFi Direct:

Mark

Reactions: Torque
I don't believe we are talking about the same thing. WiFi Direct allows two WiFi compatible devices to connect to each other WITHOUT the use of a WiFi network. Sure, I can view one of my WiFi security cameras on my iPhone but only after the security camera is on my WiFi network.

Drone Scanner needs to connect directly to the WiFi in the drone when neither the drone nor the iPhone are on a WiFi network. WiFi Direct:

Apple doesn't support WiFi Direct:

Mark
I now understand what it is. I really meant that iPhones can use a ad-hoc network to establish the same thing. I have to use this as are no other WiFi networks available in the area for miles, and often not even cellular, when I connect to my device’s own Wifi network. They do not use Bluetooth. I often place my WiFi enabled security / trail cams in remote canyons as well, and I use a browser to control and download photos from them remotely. And this explains how my RTK GPS uses it so I can configure it remotely with my iPhone over its own WiFi network:

So it’s too bad that DJI’s system doesn’t do this. My Dronetag BS RID uses Bluetooth for RID- and its range is at least VLOS with a very strong signal on my iPhone.

Last edited:
I suspect Drone Tag’s software engineers would write the necessary code to allow Drone Scanner to connect directly to WiFi Remote ID if they could. They are pretty clear it’s not something that Apple allows.

Fine by me. The fewer “Karens” with Remote ID scanning the better.

Mark

Reactions: AMann
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne