DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Remote ID Sticker?

mswlogo

Reactions
When I registered my Skydio 2+ (before remote ID) the FAA had a button to print a “Label”.

Just added my Mavic Pro 3 to FAA account. But I could not find anything regarding printing a label.

Just watched a couple Videos to understand what needs to be on the label. They just so happened to use a Skydio 2+ as example and showed a very official looking label from Skydio. With more info than just a SN.

Do these labels only apply to Drones that already have them?

Do we ask manufacturer? Or print our own?

Is Remote ID # ( same as Drone SN) all that’s required?

I would think if your drone has RID built-in, just the drone would be registered. I don't know if an external module has to have a label.
Speaking of labels, Pilot Institute will make and send you drone registration stickers for free.
Check here: Free Registration Labels

53398325555_ea40a7bc5e_b_d.jpg
I would think if your drone has RID built-in, just the drone would be registered. I don't know if an external module has to have a label.
Speaking of labels, Pilot Institute will make and send you drone registration stickers for free.
Check here: Free Registration Labels
That’s what I was thinking. But after seeing the official label from Skydio for remote ID I’m not so sure.

The external label isn’t for while it’s flying, right. That’s what remote ID covers. If it crashes I doubt Remote ID will be still running.

Hh

Last edited:
Take a look at this, it may explain the Skydio side.
Skydio Remote ID Update

The label just shows the drone is registered w/the FAA. Whether the RID is operation after a crash, if built-in, would depend on the if the drone is still powered. If it's an external module, since its power source is seperate, it may continue to operate depending on whether it got damaged in the crash.

Good point you bring up, I often wonder why Skydio provides this "label" and IIRC, there is a point to adding the RID details to an external label but I can't remember if that is in the rules or not. I believe the manufacturer has to add it going forward but I am not sure if the pilot needs to display it on upgraded drones as well.

Reactions: mswlogo
Take a look at this, it may explain the Skydio side.
Skydio Remote ID Update

The label just shows the drone is registered w/the FAA. Whether the RID is operation after a crash, if built-in, would depend on the if the drone is still powered. If it's an external module, since its power source is seperate, it may continue to operate depending on whether it got damaged in the crash.
My only point is. The need for some sort of external label made sense before Remote ID requirements and it still makes just as much sense after Remote ID requirements. Since Remote ID is more about "In Flight". Label is more about Post Flight (a crash). I'd be surprised if an external label is not still required. But it's not obvious if it is or isn't.

At this time, I believe the only external identification required is your FAA registration number. Anything else would be optional.

You need to mark your drone. Not my video but start around the 20:00 mark:

Last edited:
At this time, I believe the only external identification required is your FAA registration number. Anything else would be optional.
I ran across this a couple of days ago. DJI suggests that a RID label is necessary.

"Action 3: Affix a RID compliance label to your drone
Under the FAA Remote ID rule, drones with Standard Remote ID capabilities are required to have a RID compliance label affixed to indicate that the drone complies with the Remote ID rule. Newly produced drone will be affixed with RID compliance label before leaving the factory. For drone have been upgraded with RID-compliant firmware but do not have a RID compliance label affixed, contact DJI Support for how to label your drone."

Reference: User Guide for FAA Remote ID Compliance

EDIT: The highlighted sentence on that DJI page suggests that labels are required for drones made RID-compliant via firmware updates, possibly applied by the user. However, there's no mention of this in 14 CDR Part 89.

Here are the only mentions of "label," all directed at the producer of the drone. I'm guessing that sentence on the DJI page is a CYA measure added by DJI's legal group. I'll not be adding a label to my Air 2S.

§ 89.525 Labeling.​

(a) No person may produce a standard remote identification unmanned aircraft under § 89.515 unless it displays a label indicating that the unmanned aircraft meets the requirements of this part. The label must be in English and be legible, prominent, and permanently affixed to the unmanned aircraft.

(b) No person may produce a remote identification broadcast module under § 89.520 unless it displays a label indicating that the equipment meets the requirements of this part. The label must be in English and be legible, prominent, and permanently affixed to the broadcast module.

Last edited:
You need to mark your drone. Not my video but start around the 20:00 mark:

I think folks are confusing RID labeling with FAA registration labeling. I thought one might supersede or change the other. It does not.

That video is talking about RID labeling (that the drone has RID). I didn’t watch the whole thing though. And I honestly don’t care that much about RID label (now that I understand, I’m not the manufacturer, see below).

I wanted to know what marking the operator is responsible for.

This is direct from the FAA (and notice the RID label does not have to be on the exterior, different requirements). Exterior registration label requirement has not changed.

=============================

14 CFR Part 48 (the registration regulation) requires you to have your drone's FAA registration number displayed on the exterior of your drone.

14 CDR Part 89 (the remote ID rule) requires the manufacturer to display a label indicating the drone complies with the rule. The provision states the label must be in English, legible, prominent, and permanently affixed. It does not specify where that label must be.

I think folks are confusing RID labeling with FAA registration labeling. I thought one might supersede or change the other. It does not.

That video is talking about RID labeling (that the drone has RID). I didn’t watch the whole thing though. And I honestly don’t care that much about RID label (now that I understand, I’m not the manufacturer, see below).

I wanted to know what marking the operator is responsible for.

This is direct from the FAA (and notice the RID label does not have to be on the exterior, different requirements). Exterior registration label requirement has not changed.

=============================

14 CFR Part 48 (the registration regulation) requires you to have your drone's FAA registration number displayed on the exterior of your drone.

14 CDR Part 89 (the remote ID rule) requires the manufacturer to display a label indicating the drone complies with the rule. The provision states the label must be in English, legible, prominent, and permanently affixed. It does not specify where that label must be.
We're not confused. Our drones have been labeled with the proper FAA registration in the proper place for many many years now.

Along comes RID. Lots of requirements from different parties to execute but what are the labeling requirements? Why not hear what the FAA guy is telling you in the video starting at the 20:00 mark for about 2 minutes? Everybody knows the manufacturer is supposed to label the drone with the RID details but what happens when they don't?

We're not confused. Our drones have been labeled with the proper FAA registration in the proper place for many many years now.

Along comes RID. Lots of requirements from different parties to execute but what are the labeling requirements? Why not hear what the FAA guy is telling you in the video starting at the 20:00 mark for about 2 minutes? Everybody knows the manufacturer is supposed to label the drone with the RID details but what happens when they don't?
That video was useless. All it talked about was remote ID stickers. Which has nothing to do with operator FAA Registration Sticker.

There are TWO STICKERS.

One for remote ID (that manufacturer is responsible for and not necessarily external). One for FAA registration that must be external. There is nothing for me to change on external labels I had before remote ID vs after. It’s the same.

There was not one word about FAA Registration Sticker in those few minutes.

I know what I have to do.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas