DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI camera on order...

KennethH

Reactions
My Galaxy S7 phone is slowly going down hill. Still can do calls and text, but the camera I've depended on for years seems to be not there, and I've lost a lot of my recent photos (Photo Stick failed me somehow). I will continue to use it as a phone, but for flying I'm using a Galaxy Tab A7 Lite that works very well. As for the camera, I tried a cheap pocket camera, and it was bizarre. The manual was strange. Yes, it had an SD card slot (it called it a TF), but unlike the rest of the world (and they forgot to mention this) instead of putting it in contacts first, it had to go in the slot sideways. The the picture quality was fuzzy. I sent it back.
Then I've discovered the DJI Osmo Pocket. Has a gimbal just like the drones, for smooth movement. It also takes high res photos, and plugs right into a smart phone to use it as a monitor. I'll let you know how this $239 wonder performs.

DJI Osmo Pocket.jpg

Last edited:
TF stands for TransFlash which is the original name for the MicroSD format before it was adopted as a standard by the SD Association. They were only known by that name briefly when they were released but for some reason the cheap Chinese devices still use the TF term instead of microSD, I guess it must be a licensing thing but if you see a TF slot or similar you know it will take a micro SD card.

I have a pocket and it lives up to its name because it's so small you can easily carry about with you so it's there whenever you need it.

My Galaxy S7 phone is slowly going down hill. Still can do calls and text, but the camera I've depended on for years seems to be not there, and I've lost a lot of my recent photos (Photo Stick failed me somehow). I will continue to use it as a phone, but for flying I'm using a Galaxy Tab A7 Lite that works very well. As for the camera, I tried a cheap pocket camera, and it was bizarre. The manual was strange. Yes, it had an SD card slot (it called it a TF), but unlike the rest of the world (and they forgot to mention this) instead of putting it in contacts first, it had to go in the slot sideways. The the picture quality was fuzzy. I sent it back.
Then I've discovered the DJI Osmo Pocket. Has a gimbal just like the drones, for smooth movement. It also takes high res photos, and plugs right into a smart phone to use it as a monitor. I'll let you know how this $239 wonder performs.

View attachment 148817

It's promised to be here by 10pm, even though it's about two miles away. One thing worries me. It says it supports the Galaxy S7 (my phone) but it looks like it takes different adapters for phones to be used as monitors. So far I've seen photos of Lightning adapters, and type USB C adaptors (my wife's S20). Ended up ordering an adaptor for micro C, which my old S7 uses for charging and video. It might take a month for the adapter to get here. I can use the DJI Osmo Pocket until then, but what a pain. But when I worry, things usually turn out okay.

TF stands for TransFlash which is the original name for the MicroSD format before it was adopted as a standard by the SD Association. They were only known by that name briefly when they were released but for some reason the cheap Chinese devices still use the TF term instead of microSD, I guess it must be a licensing thing but if you see a TF slot or similar you know it will take a micro SD card.

I have a pocket and it lives up to its name because it's so small you can easily carry about with you so it's there whenever you need it.
The strangest thing for me is this cheap camera I sent back required that the TF (SD card) be inserted sideways. Add to that that unlike real manuals, there was no illustration of how to insert the card. Not even a cheap drawing.

It's promised to be here by 10pm, even though it's about two miles away. One thing worries me. It says it supports the Galaxy S7 (my phone) but it looks like it takes different adapters for phones to be used as monitors. So far I've seen photos of Lightning adapters, and type USB C adaptors (my wife's S20). Ended up ordering an adaptor for micro C, which my old S7 uses for charging and video. It might take a month for the adapter to get here. I can use the DJI Osmo Pocket until then, but what a pain. But when I worry, things usually turn out okay.
Contacted DJI about the lack of a Micro B connector adaptor. Supposed to contact me. In the mean time I've disentangled my Tab A7 Light from its hood, and used the Osmo Pocket adapter to connect the Pocket to the Tab A7 Lite. A bit cumbersome to hold, but the tablet makes a great big monitor. I guess the Mimo App, running on the tablet, ties the two together.

Suddenly I find a Micro USB adapter..
Micro USB Adaptor.jpg Micro USB Adaptor2.jpg
... for the Osmo Pocket on Amazon that could be here in two days. Expecting it tonight. And after a week the one in China is suddenly picked up. Now probably put on that classic "slow boat from China". Still due June 10-29. I'll see if my Galaxy S7 phone works with the Pocket. It runs the DJI Mimo app just fine.

The Amazon listing shows it comes with a box with storage for four adapters. So now I'll have a Lightening, a USB C, and a Micro USB. Two of which I can use.

Last edited:
View attachment 149080 View attachment 149081
... for the Osmo Pocket on Amazon that could be here in two days. Expecting it tonight. And after a week the one in China is suddenly picked up. Now probably put on that classic "slow boat from China". Still due June 10-29. I'll see if my Galaxy S7 phone works with the Pocket. It runs the DJI Mimo app just fine.

The Amazon listing shows it comes with a box with storage for four adapters. So now I'll have a Lightening, a USB C, and a Micro USB. Two of which I can use.

Okay, so I've got the Pocket working with my very old Samsung Galaxy S7 as monitor. Used the adapter mentioned above as my connection. Had to lose the case for the phone. Now I need to order the bracket to hold the two together.

Pocket and phone combo.jpg

At least this configuration is lighter than the one using the Tab A7 Lite. That needs to be with my drone anyway.

I quite like my Pocket 2 for casual filming!

The weak point is that phone connector sticking out the side! So far I have been using it without the phone, much simpler.

I do have the full accessories package, the extension/selfie stick has a good phone mount.

I quite like my Pocket 2 for casual filming!

The weak point is that phone connector sticking out the side! So far I have been using it without the phone, much simpler.

I do have the full accessories package, the extension/selfie stick has a good phone mount.
If you don't use an external device as monitor, you can just pull off the slide-in connector, and turn it around and push it back on. If there is a cover over the right side in that area, it can be removed and tucked away somewhere, to make room for the adapter when not in use. I think you have to have an adaptor on, one way or the other.

If you don't use an external device as monitor, you can just pull off the slide-in connector, and turn it around and push it back on. If there is a cover over the right side in that area, it can be removed and tucked away somewhere, to make room for the adapter when not in use. I think you have to have an adaptor on, one way or the other.
If I recall, on the Pocket 2 the connectors can’t be reversed. I don’t have any experience with the original Pocket, maybe that’s what you’re referring to?

On mine there’s a joystick that slides into the slot where the phone connector would be, allowing a little thumb action to steer the camera.

Yes, the slide-in case, handy with the camera in a jacket pocket, includes a storage slot for the phone adapter and wide-angle lens.

YES! This adaptor allows me to use my Galaxy S7 phone as monitor for the Osmo Pocket. I remember that the phone did run DJI Fly well, and worked with the RC-N1 controller. But I'm glad I have the Galaxy Tab A7 for that purpose.

If I recall, on the Pocket 2 the connectors can’t be reversed.
You totally can reverse it just like with the 1.

Had the 1 as well and upgraded to the 2 when it came out. Kept the wheel I got with the 1 since I find it much better than the joystick.

IMG_20220531_183447.jpg

Reactions: SethB

So with all the "It'll be here June10-29" the one from China directly gets here on May 31. So now I have two of them, and a second storage box. It's like Christmas.

Okay, so I've got the Pocket working with my very old Samsung Galaxy S7 as monitor. Used the adapter mentioned above as my connection. Had to lose the case for the phone. Now I need to order the bracket to hold the two together.

At least this configuration is lighter than the one using the Tab A7 Lite. That needs to be with my drone anyway.
Got that now. My phone tends to lose power quickly (and it's a new battery) and it's a pain to recharge when its configured this way. Hopefully have a base (with 1/4" tripod screw) coming in that will allow it to sit upright. It will not sit as seen in the ad. It just falls over. Maybe that's why they stuck it in the sand.

Movo phone holder2.jpg

Last edited:
Got that now. My phone tends to lose power quickly (and it's a new battery) and it's a pain to recharge when its configured this way. Hopefully have a base (with 1/4" tripod screw) coming in that will allow it to sit upright. It will not sit as seen in the ad. It just falls over. Maybe that's why they stuck it in the sand.

View attachment 149276
Added a Cavix QR60 base on the bottom instead of the knurled knob with a 1/4" thread. Took a bit of machining to fit a short piece of 1/4" threaded screw to hold it together. But now the whole thing stands upright, so I don't have to worry about the gimbal, and I can still get to the SD card to download what I take. And the Cavix QR60 has a fold down lanyard ring in case I need it.

Last edited:
Added a Cavix QR60 base on the bottom instead of the knurled knob with a 1/4" thread. Took a bit of machining to fit a short piece of 1/4" threaded screw to hold it together. But now the whole thing stands upright, so I don't have to worry about the gimbal, and I can still get to the SD card to download what I take. And the Cavix QR60 has a fold down lanyard ring in case I need it.
Replaced the Cavix QR60 with a flat plate that is 88mm long. Much more stable. Needed longer screws, and Amazon had them.

Flat plate for Pocket`.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin