DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI CARE REFRESH OR INSURANCE CARRIER ? Hmmmmm

MontanaMavic

Reactions
I'm just wondering which is the best way to go. Refresh sounds like a pretty good choice, but then you can purchase replacement coverage from State Farm for $60.00 per year.

DJI CARE REFRESH: If you lose your Mavic, will cost $178.00 to be into a new Mavic
STATE FARM: No deductible, so you pay only $ 60.00 to be back into a new Mavic.

My thoughts are, if I have my home and autos with State Farm, and file a claim on the Mavic, will it raise my other policy, or will it just raise the Drone policy, or will it even have an effect on any of my policies? I have had insurance companies claim they won't raise policy rates after a claim, only to have them do just that.

Your thoughts:

Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 10.55.09 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: jointeffort
I am in the same situation except I'm in California and am still seeking info on getting insurance for my mavic. My only issue with dji care refresh is that the mavic needs to be retrieved. I live on the coast and if my mavic falls into the ocean, there is a high probability that I won't be able to retrieve it.

I am in the same situation except I'm in California and am still seeking info on getting insurance for my mavic. My only issue with dji care refresh is that the mavic needs to be retrieved. I live on the coast and if my mavic falls into the ocean, there is a high probability that I won't be able to retrieve it.
So what insurance works for birds lost in bodies of water that are not retrievable? This is my current dilemma.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using MavicPilots mobile app

Got my Mavic on Wednesday,but due to working and winter weather today was its maiden flight. Got the fly more package so had over an hour of flight time which i really enjoyed. Never flown anything before but have been thinking about insurance for my bird,as i'm from the UK my options are quite limited regards insurance. Got home and had a think about the DJI care refresh. Conclusion was i just paid £1359 for the fly more and its £99 for the care refresh plus £79 for a replacement if i bin it, which i'm sure sooner or later will happen. Would rather fly with the confidence that it will be replaced if the worst happens. Could be the best £99 i have spent.So my bank account is now £99 lower but for me it's money well spent.

I have very little respect for State Farm and expect to hear horror stories from those who try to use them for drone crashes and replacement. I hope I'm wrong but adding a middleman in the economic equation makes little sense in this instance.

I have very little respect for State Farm and expect to hear horror stories from those who try to use them for drone crashes and replacement. I hope I'm wrong but adding a middleman in the economic equation makes little sense in this instance.
I'm going to talk to my agent Monday. What good is the DJI Care Refresh if you lose the drone or can't recover it. You've just lost $99.00 and the drone. So many questions.... arggg

I am getting both, well I already have State Farm insurance and it's set up for renew every year. DJI is only for one year. My Agent wanted a copy of my purchase to make sure it was new in order to start coverage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: endlezzdrifter
I got both, but only because I heard about refresh first. However you look at it though I'm covered in any situation and that's a good piece of mind to have for a 1k flying piece of plastic that can fly away unannounced or crash and break into a million pieces. Get both if you want to fly with a greater piece of mind. Anything happens, you'll absolutely get another.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: eezflyer

I'm in the same boat. State Farm was the bane of my existence a few years ago when my house was broken into and they denied my claim while essentially accusing me of fraud after having been a lifelong member. This, mind you, while I was dealing with $10k in losses.

That said, my SF policy was $31/yr here in WA. I'm not sure what you mean by middlemen in the equation not making sense. That's what all insurance agents are, and my previous horrible experience notwithstanding, I think most would say it doesn't make sense to not try and protect your investment...particularly for the price of a few propellers.

Of course we all take risks and some are comfortable with more or less than others. Do what suits you, and have fun out there!

I plan on taking out a policy in her name.

Pretty dicey. The Oregon shop can simply say "crashed in California? owned in California? not owned by JointEffort'sSister? no payout!" Or they can go after you and your sister for insurance fraud which is a whole lot bigger than a broken drone.

I got both. Dji refresh, and state farm. I had state farm give me quotes for 1000 and 1500 dollars. One for just the mavic pro and the other for mavic plus the extra batteries, lenses, pelican case, etc.. Came out to be $30 and $41. Looking at the $1500 at $41 because of possible theft being that everything fits in one case. If state farm holds to their word of anything goes with no deductible, not a bad deal.

In a since, i can loose one mavic fully, and 2x total failures with drone in hand. All for less than half the cost of a mavic pro. Yes peace of mind. I will be flying over a lot of ocean as well as valleys with no access. Im in Hawaii and travel alot.

I have lost a few that I have built (250 and 180 racers plus a 650 photo drone) and never thought of insuring them. Takes less than a day to throw one together when you have all the parts. Can build them with $80-400 no problem. Now when we get into $1000 with oem parts (for awhile) then insurance is key.

I cant wait to buy a few damaged mavics to make some alterations.

I'm glad I searched for this topic as I currently have State Farm for my p3s and was wondering if I should get both State Farm and DJI Care for my just ordered Mavic Pro. So, if I get both coverages does that mean if I crash the bird, State Farm will cover it and I can use the money to buy another and then I can send the crashed one in for repair to DJI and then have two Mavics. Is that how it would work?

can someone confirm it's not a new Mavic you get, but a refurbished?

kinda like when my iphone 6+ went tits up, i walked into the apple store and they give me a used one.

This is my thinking in the next two weeks or less I will be buying a mavic. I plan on putting ins on it through a ins carrier like State Farm. And not getting DJI refresh if I wreck the drone I will get a new one for free through my ins company if they decide to cancel my coverage and not ensure me then I will get DJI refreshed is this a bad idea.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming