DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI discontinues Phantom series!

I wonder how everyone everyone looks at the Phantom now that DJI released Terra today and it only supports the Phantom 4 Series?

No one believes you when you tell them that the P4 is the only R.P.A. that DJI make (unless you want to spend $10k plus for an inspire with a top end camera) that can do image capture for 3D or maps to an industry standard and that the Mavic 2 is not the be all and end all for all applications ..... maybe they'll believe it now? Nah.... :p

Regards
Ari

Probably the same as a week ago. Market here is flooded with Phantoms for sale which is great for buyers. I'm on the lookout for a cheap P4P v2 as I'm curious whether it has the same 17.9km distance limit as other Occusync aircraft.

the Mavic 2 is not the be all and end all for all applications .....

The M2 comes close enough as a jack of all trades for the overwhelming majority of people who are buying it. Industry specific apps, such as Terra mapping, sometimes rely on older, obsolete, discontinued equipment, such as the Phantom 4 Pro. Ask the majority of people who use the Mavic 2 for it's primary purpose of aerial imaging, and they would never consider going back to a Phantom, including yours truly.

Probably the same as a week ago. Market here is flooded with Phantoms for sale which is great for buyers. I'm on the lookout for a cheap P4P v2 as I'm curious whether it has the same 17.9km distance limit as other Occusync aircraft.

You might get 17km as far as total distance traveled round trip if you really concentrate on flying at the most efficient speed at a fixed height on a totally windless day, looking back at my flight logs I've had one flight of over 13km on a single battery back and forth over a mapping job and I don't worry about battery efficiency, I just fly at the speed required and gaining and washing off height as needed to produce the images required.

As far as distance from the controller goes, I can't see you getting that far out without some major investments in range boosting equipment and even if you did manage to get 17km from take off you wouldn't make it back on the same battery.

The P4P V2.0 is not Occusync 2.0 as in the Mavic 2 series, it was released with Occusync 1 and then firmware upgraded to something in between. My best guess for the P4P v2.0 with standard equipment out of the box (in FCC countries) in normal everyday conditions would be about the 7km, 4km in CE countries ... you might do a bit better if you fly of the side of a mountain but I don't call that real world.

Regards
Ari

The M2 comes close enough as a jack of all trades for the overwhelming majority of people who are buying it.

Well, I guess I'm not one of the majority then. I own both and the P4P V2.0 is my "go to" but then again, I'm not the "majority of people". I have specific needs which have to be met when flying and I know enough not to fall for "numbers marketing". I'm also qualified in in enough related fields to find out the realities.

Industry specific apps, such as Terra mapping, sometimes rely on older, obsolete, discontinued equipment, such as the Phantom 4 Pro

Older does not mean obsolete. There were turbo and suercharged cars in the 1920s, we just like to pretend that it's a modern invention. All something has to do to be discontinued is to not be as profitable for the manufacturer as a newer but less capable product.

Ask the majority of people who use the Mavic 2 for it's primary purpose of aerial imaging, and they would never consider going back to a Phantom,

The Mavic 2s primary purpose is to wow consumers and make a large profit for DJI... it does this well with the help of an army of fanbois who don't question the marketing hype and an over saturated colour palette (M2P) which makes everything look vibrant and rich so no one questions. The Zoom has a certain niche in that it's the only show in town with a zoom capability for less than about $8-10K. The M2Dual is a pathetic joke 160pp resolution .... please.

The main issue with the M2P is not what it has but more importantly what it doesn't have. It doesn't really have anything "Hassleblad" in it other than the name, I'm afraid after DJI bought a controlling interest some years ago the marque has weakened consideraby, it's no longer about what is the best possible technical quality, it's about what can be marketed for the most profit ... reminds me of something. It doesn't have a Hassleblad sensor, it has a Sony ... Oh wait! So does the P4P ... and it doesn't line skip, pixel bin or sensor sample like the M2P. The M2P has a no name lens ... the P4P doesn't. Hassleblad never made their own lenses even in their "halcyon days", the M2P doesn't have a hardware shutter which once again the P4P does have (this is the most damning point). The rolling software or "universal" shutter used on many DJI products is a jack of all trades but a master of none.

The much vaunted 10bit vs 8bit advantage of the M2P is only evident in the rich saturated colour palette. Anything you can get out of a Mavic 2 I can get out of the P4P. I may have to go into post to increase colour or contrast but the point is I can. I can not take my M2 images into post and improve the resolution/sharpness or fix the rolling shutter effects...... sadly. I was waitiing for a Mavic 2 with a hardware shutter ...DJI didn't oblige and I can not for the life of me figure out why, THAT would have been a game changer. Not enough profit in it?

As most people just want to capture and upload I can understand the appeal of the M2P for the masses, it captures images that look great and it's easy as anything. "You Beauty!" cries the masses.

including yours truly.

I'm surprised you really feel that way but maybe I shouldn't as I believe you focus is in sales and service. (I think?, being Australian I'm a bit far away to deal with you, I wish I could from what I have seen). I was a technician for 40 years before I started a drone business, I work on my own aircraft as far as I am tooled up to do so and the local DJI dealer is talking about me tooling up a but more and doing overflow work for that matter (G-d help me) .. I know that since doing the RePL and these other involvements that flying isn't about fun anymore.

If all I was doing was fly for the sheer joy of it I could (and probably would) be happy with the M2P as my main airframe ... but it's not and while the M2P meets the needs of the majority of hobbyists that the exact point. The M2P is the top end of the consumer market, the P4P V2.0 was the bottom end of the professional market and to sit and blindly claim that the M2 is superior to and replaces the P4 series ..... if you can convince yourself of that or more importantly for them if DJI can convince the buying public of that for their corporate agenda when the figures say otherwise then more power to them.

For me, I'll just admit that the "emperor is nude".

I'm not trying to be argumentative of rude so please excuse me if it comes over that way, I'm just more aware of the truths of "what is under the hood" than most and call it on the empirical data.

The P4P is gone not because it is a lesser aircraft, it's anything but, it's gone because it was a corporate decision made for reasons of profit and commercial practicality.

There will be a "P5 like" hardware shutter camera equip[ped aircaft to replace the P4P at some point, probably with swappable lens but my guess is not at any time where it will caniblise the sales of the Mavic 2 series. Otherwise why release DJI terra that only supports a discontinued line? DJI are well aware of the realities but they'll make a move to fill the gap in the line up when they are ready not when I would like.

Regards
Ari

I'm out tonight with an M2P and a P4.
Left: M2P, 4 batteries, RC, reflector, USB cable.
Right: P4, 3 batteries, RC.

And this sums up why P4 variants aren't selling.
20190329_222001.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Former Member
and why are you carrying a Phantom? Because your M2 doesn't deliver all the goods. I don't care if it fits in a matchbox, if it doesn't do the job it's useless to me.

Forgive me if I don't pull it all down from the shelf and open the lids (too old and too tired today, I'll get a lids off shot next time I go on a job) but this

and this

are what comes out on the job with me and has travelled 1000Km in a day via road with me... Do I want to carry that much? I'm old not senile... you need what you need and the equipment does what it can do. The Mavic 2 doesn't do everything that I need and I need things that the Mavic can't give me but the P4P can ... Two of the top three flight cases are Mavics so it's not like they don't have a place in the scheme of things ... they just don't replace the P4P and never will.

As far as the Phantom not selling, has anyone seen any hard figures to back that up? My local DJI dealer had far more orders than stock to fill them. I would suggest that they we're not as profitable as the Mavic line certainly and sold in lesser numbers for sure ... but didn't sell, I don't really believe that. I'd buy another one, probably will.

Regards
Ari

I'm out tonight with an M2P and a P4.
Left: M2P, 4 batteries, RC, reflector, USB cable.
Right: P4, 3 batteries, RC.

And this sums up why P4 variants aren't selling.
There's no argument that the Mavic wins on portability but that isn't all that matters to all users all the time.
Another big reason it's not selling is that DJI stopped making Phantoms back in late October 2018 - 5 months ago!

Made 8 flights with the M2P, got the shots I wanted and didn't even open the P4.

sMgH0DS.jpg

Check out this video where Romeo Durscher (Director of Public Safety Integration at DJI) confirms the Phantom 4 RTK is the last of the Phantom models.

Reactions: lolo780
Breaking News: End Of The DJI Phantom Line - new thread published, see first link below.

Breaking News: End Of The DJI Phantom Line

Thanks for the update Pete.

As they say on New Year's Day, out with the old and in with the new.

I don't think anyone should sell their phantoms if they have no intention of upgrading to a mavic. The Phantom is a perfectly good drone it's just not the latest and greatest anymore.

Reactions: deleted member 877
Breaking News: End Of The DJI Phantom Line - new thread published, see first link below.

Yes I saw that one, it makes me laugh actually. Bill is a really nice guy, as far as accuracy goes historically he's been....a really nice guy, also as you can see he's very much a DJI guy and that close an association comes at a cost. He will rarely say anything that doesn't line up with DJI's public position.

DJI dealers were told to expect an announcement regarding a replacement a few days after this. I know the exact date which is almost three months overdue. I think it's pretty obvious that there has been a change of heart and it's not going to happen. How very ...DJI LOL. Just because they told their dealers something doesn't always make it true in the end either sadly.

At some point I feel there is going to be a replacement near that price point or a bit over for the simple reason that even the lower end cameras on the Inspire series are a rolling software shutter and this makes them unsuited to industry standard prhotogrammetry, mapping and ortho also. By the time you buy an Inspire with a camera good enough you've blown $10k. DJI have too much of an eye on the ball to leave the market without an entry level commercial machine for ever. That said they won't want to draw sales from the Mavic 2 series while they are selling so well. I wouldn't be surprised to see something pop up around Q4 this year or Q1 2020.

That said, trying to predict what DJI will do can be a good way to end up looking dumber than you actually are. As Thunderdrones said, I won't be selling my P4P any time soon. In the mean time I put a holding deposit on one of the last new P4P V2.0s I could find yesterday and will pick it up this week in case my current airframe ends up in pieces.

I'll see if I can buy an RTK as well but they cost $5k downunder and I've already got too many with the incoming registration fees.

Regards
Ari

Reactions: deleted member 877
even the lower end cameras on the Inspire series are a rolling software shutter
How about the statement about the X4S shutte on DJIs website?

The Zenmuse X4S also uses a leaf shutter capable of 1/2000 shutter speeds, eliminating rolling shutter distortion that can occur when taking images of fast moving subjects or when flying at high speed, allowing dramatic shots to be captured more easily.

How about the statement about the X4S shutter on DJIs website?
The X4S camera was virtually the same camera as the P4 pro.
Unfortunately for Inspire users, they've been unavailable for longer than the Phantom has.

The X4S camera was virtually the same camera as the P4 pro.
Unfortunately for Inspire users, they've been unavailable for longer than the Phantom has.
I'm aware of that.
I asked because @Decado stated:

even the lower end cameras on the Inspire series are a rolling software shutter ...

(I'm using a X4S for mapping/surveying with a M200)

How about the statement about the X4S shutte on DJIs website?

Sadly the X4S does not suit the Inspire 1 which is still the most common swapable payload R.P.A. around at this time.

In Australia an Inspire 2 and a X4S is about a $6k outlay and you'd be crazy to buy an Inspire 2 here because to fly even as a commercial operator closer than 30m to people or over populous areas you require engine and battery redundancy which means Matrice 600 series and bingo you are back over $10k again.

The X5 and X5S are software rolling shutter ... I think the X7 also. It's pretty sad and one of the reasons I'll keep campaigning the P4P for quite a while yet.

I only bought an Inspire 1 V2 as I got it for less than the price of a Mavic 2 Zoom on end of line early this year. It was about the last new one in captivity so for that price I took the punt as there is a massive parts inventory for them and I can keep it flying for years to come. An Inspire 2 is a non event from me if I am being logical about it.

Regards
Ari

I think the X7 also
Nearly ... ;)

X7 features a hybrid shutter:

Electronic Shutter Speed: 1/8000 – 8s
Mechanical Shutter Speed: 1/1000 – 8s (DJI DL-S 16mm F2.8 ND ASPH not supported)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seacorope