DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI discontinues Phantom series!

Unfortunately for Inspire users, they've been unavailable for longer than the Phantom has.

That has relevance as well LOL

Nearly ... ;)

:D Notice I did add "I think". If I'm not 100% sure I say so. Thanks for being gentle ;) Also again, a no go for the Inspire 1 **** it.

Essentially, I'll buy a bigger bird than the Inspire 1 when I am ready to fly at close proximity to persons or over a populous environment and as it's going to have to be a M600 series it'll be next year before I can look at that.

This all brings us back full circle and onto the topic and is why it is such a shame from the commercial operators point of view that an entry level commercial machine with a mechanical shutter is not going to be offered anymore. It's really preplexing in that it's much like the Spark. It's been discontinued with no clear replacement in place or likely in the near future. *shrugs*...That's DJI for you. I like their aircraft but their logic escapes me.

Regards
Ari

Reactions: Keule
They will continue making & selling the Phantom 4 RTK so this news isn't so surprising.

For the time being at least yes thankfully although at this price here it's a bitter pill to swallow.

It's over $12K if you want the full combo with the mobile station. =-|

Regards
Ari

I'm aware of that.
I asked because @Decado stated:

even the lower end cameras on the Inspire series are a rolling software shutter ...

(I'm using a X4S for mapping/surveying with a M200)
Great answer. So after all this chit chat it turns out that the inspire can do just as good a job as the Phantom. Thanks for the info.

Well supposedly that's going to be a announcement on Apt 23rd from DJI. I guess we'll see what's what at that time. Hopefully all of you that have made definitive statements don't end up looking stupid. Hahaha!

Great answer. So after all this chit chat it turns out that the inspire can do just as good a job as the Phantom. Thanks for the info.

Did you somehow miss

The X4S camera was virtually the same camera as the P4 pro.
Unfortunately for Inspire users, they've been unavailable for longer than the Phantom has.

At a pinch I can still get a new Phantom. I can't get a new X4S, second hand you'll get an Entire P4P for the price of the X4s alone second hand and the Phantom is far far easier to find and has equal imaging to the X4S

Even when you could get the X4S it only suited the Inspire 2 (and Matrices of course) but not the Inspire 1 and it was the only one of the Inspire cameras that had a pure hardware shutter so summary :-

The X4S has been discontinued longer than the P4P
It's hard to find relative to a Phantom
it's expensive compared to a P4P
It's no better than a P4P with it's stock camera
It isn't compatible with the Inspire 1 which is still the most popular airframe in commercial use (if we don't count the P4P)

SoooOOooo.... I think it's fair enough to answer NO, the Inspire can't do the job as well as a Phantom ...

next

Well supposedly that's going to be a announcement on Apt 23rd from DJI. I guess we'll see what's what at that time. Hopefully all of you that have made definitive statements don't end up looking stupid. Hahaha!

I would love to think it is going to be an announcement about a new Phantom but I have realistically pretty well given up.

For that matter authorised DJI dealers were told toi expect an announcement on the Phantom by mid Jan ... it didn't happen (obviously)

DJI make so many other products that it may not even be an announcement about an aircraft let alone a Phantom series.

Regards
Ari

Did I mention that the Phantom has twice the flight duration of an Inspire which is critical from the economies of scale perspective? ;)

Reactions: Meta4
Did I mention that the Phantom has twice the flight duration of an Inspire which is critical from the economies of scale perspective?
Portability and endurance ... the old Inspire plays second fiddle in a few ways.

And the price difference is staggering. You can easily drop $500 on just even an Inspire case.

I don't know where you guys are getting your prices from. Have any of you bought or sold an inspire 1 version 1, version 2 or inspire 2 lately? I have. And many.

I will let one of you naysayers list the facts about flight time for the inspire 1 inspire 2 and Phantom.

It's really amusing to me that you guys guys are still advocating for obsolete equipment. But if you choose to fly drones that are two-year-old technology versus a state-of-the-art drone, have at it.

@Thunderdrones

Look mate, I've obviously pressed your buttons. It was not my intention. I love the Phantom as much as you love the Mavic because of what it can do for me. I own both, I have no agenda to push.

You've been around these forums for a lot longer than I have and I'd be blind to not be aware of all the help and advice you give out to people and the greatly recognised quality and value of the service you offer.

It doesn't make you right all the time though. No one can claim that, certainly not me and I don't need to be right badly enough to start a forums spat or leave you in an uproar over it so I'll leave the field to you.

I'll be content to continue on as is best for me with the gear that works for me and when we meet in another thread "no hard feelings"

Respect
Ari

Thank you for being a gentleman.

You are welcome sir

When all is said and done, all of us commercial or recreational pilots all share a passion so we have far more in common than that which sets us apart.

Kudos for all you do for the community

Regards
Ari

Reactions: Former Member
Always love taking Inspires out. One of these days I'm going to lengthen the I2 rear arms to clear TB55 batteries...

5Dtt8qZ.jpg
20190331_072357.jpeg

Always love taking Inspires out.

Yes, they are fun if a little impractical now. I was offered my I1 v2 (one of the last) at about the price of a Mavic Air Flymore on run out brand new so I bought it. I have it incase I need to do a job with a XT camera and other than that it's main job is to impress the customers. You know, to avoid the "My nephew has one of those why I am paying you?" situations. I take it out, belt it up and down to job site, impress the customer and then put it away and do the job with a Mavic 2 or a Phantom with twice the duration at half the cost to me LOL.

When it's out of warranty I'll do an external battery conversion on it and when I can get 30 minutes of flight time I'll use it more.

Anyway, a discussion for the inspire forums I guess.

Regards
Ari

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer