DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles Racing Edition: Failure Edition

lerxst

Reactions
Every time I use my DJI Goggles RE with my Mavic Pro Platinum, it says "Updated Firmware Detected" and it tells me to update the firmware on everything. Fine. Except I just did that.

Using latest DJI Assistant on my Mac, I've connected the controller, the mavic itself (along with every battery I own), and both DJI goggles (I have the regular ones and the RE ones), checked for new firmware, and applied if it found any. I did this yesterday, and some pieces did need new firmware, some didn't, fine. But I did all that yesterday and still, the DJI Goggles RE has that "Updated Firmware" message. So just to be sure, I checked everything with DJI Assistant again, and everything had latest firmware. So I "refresh"ed the firmware on every single device, AGAIN, just to be sure. And still, the error remains.

Now, the error wouldn't bother me so much, except for the fact that while I was flying, the video image inside the goggles froze (the video on my iphone, in the mavic controller, never froze once). While the image in the goggles is frozen, its UI is still responsive, you can get into menus, etc. But the image is frozen on the last thing it received before it froze, and there is no warning or indication of any problem.

This wasn't a fluke - it happened 3 times. I have to power cycle the goggles to get them to work again. My non-RE DJI Goggles work 100% fine and have never had this problem. Also, the drone was only about 50 feet away, and I had full signal strength the whole time.

My guess is (surprise, surprise) DJI shipped something before the firmware was at end-user quality level.

Anyone experience this problem on the RE goggles? Or even the original ones, I'd be interested in hearing about, in case there is a solution there that might work here.

I will get mine either tomorrow or Tuesday, and I can tell you then. In any event, it’s nothing a FW update can’t fix, so I’m sure it will be resolved in the near future.

Every time I use my DJI Goggles RE with my Mavic Pro Platinum, it says "Updated Firmware Detected" and it tells me to update the firmware on everything. Fine. Except I just did that.

Using latest DJI Assistant on my Mac, I've connected the controller, the mavic itself (along with every battery I own), and both DJI goggles (I have the regular ones and the RE ones), checked for new firmware, and applied if it found any. I did this yesterday, and some pieces did need new firmware, some didn't, fine. But I did all that yesterday and still, the DJI Goggles RE has that "Updated Firmware" message. So just to be sure, I checked everything with DJI Assistant again, and everything had latest firmware. So I "refresh"ed the firmware on every single device, AGAIN, just to be sure. And still, the error remains.

Now, the error wouldn't bother me so much, except for the fact that while I was flying, the video image inside the goggles froze (the video on my iphone, in the mavic controller, never froze once). While the image in the goggles is frozen, its UI is still responsive, you can get into menus, etc. But the image is frozen on the last thing it received before it froze, and there is no warning or indication of any problem.

This wasn't a fluke - it happened 3 times. I have to power cycle the goggles to get them to work again. My non-RE DJI Goggles work 100% fine and have never had this problem. Also, the drone was only about 50 feet away, and I had full signal strength the whole time.

My guess is (surprise, surprise) DJI shipped something before the firmware was at end-user quality level.

Anyone experience this problem on the RE goggles? Or even the original ones, I'd be interested in hearing about, in case there is a solution there that might work here.

Hiya. I’m not sure if it’s the same as your message but mine was advising me to keep up to date with the latest firmware and it had a check box to not show the message again.

Alan

Hiya. I’m not sure if it’s the same as your message but mine was advising me to keep up to date with the latest firmware and it had a check box to not show the message again.

Alan
This, but I'm not getting a FW out of date error. The goggles usually don't show those.

I just got the googles re this afternoon and the message came up once

Alan

Mine worked perfectly fine for the couple of flights I've done with the Mavic and couple more with ocusync unit/analog.

This, but I'm not getting a FW out of date error. The goggles usually don't show those.

I have never seen a firmware out of date message with the older firmware. Cyber what are you using the latest?
Is there anything new since .0700 and .1000?

Rob

I have never seen a firmware out of date message with the older firmware. Cyber what are you using the latest?
Is there anything new since .0700 and .1000?

Rob
The RE has a bunch of features, and most likely don't even support the old FW. The goggles are on .1000

They might be tallking about the "latest firmware found" message the goggles sometimes show and think it's telling you there's a new update they need to make when it's actually unclear Chinglish that seems to jsut be telling "it's OK, you're on the latest firmware" and all you need to do is click OK and forget about it.

Note this thread is for RE goggles, which use different firmware and of which there is currently only one (V01.00.0001).

Reactions: bitnaut and lerxst
[QUOTE="lerxst, post: 349520, member: 41780"Anyone experience this problem on the RE goggles? Or even the original ones, I'd be interested in hearing about, in case there is a solution there that might work here.[/QUOTE]
I have experienced some video freezes with the original goggles and had then to restart them, too.
It got fixed after doing a factory reset within settings and didn't occur again yet

The RE has a bunch of features, and most likely don't even support the old FW. The goggles are on .1000

My bad Cyberpower, I did not even look at the title properly. I have not been following the racing edition goggles since I have zero interest in buying anymore goggle's. I will have to do some reading up to see what new features they offer.

Oh and thanks KILRAH for the info on a single update. I guess these new goggles don't update from the same bundled firmware as the old one's.

Rob

Last edited:

I received my goggles last week and see the same thing. I have not been able to get rid of the warning about update needed in the initial status page when the app launches on android. I've tried the same upgrade procedures as you to no avail. Assistant 2 indicates I'm on the latest firmware. There are no side effects of this though.
I do not see the video freeze issues and I fly in an electrically(2.4G) noisy area.

One small issue I do see is that every time I connect the goggles to a windows 7 PC it complains that the mounted filesystem needs to be scanned. It seems that the goggles do no properly unmount the FS during shutdown. I believe that DJI use busybox on the Mavic so probably use the same embedded OS on the goggles. Seems like they need to look into their shutdown procedure.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078