DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Keep Flying (insurance)

KennyL

Reactions
Well - - Unfortunately, I had an opportunity to experience the DJI Keep Flying "insurance" policy
While flying - I completely forgot I had switched to sport mode on top of bad positioning with the sun - - -
yep - - flew straight into a tree branch ( completely my screw up - not looking for any excuses )

My Mavic 2 Pro nailed a branch at the top of the tree as I was trying to pull out but simply did not give myself enough time to recognize the hazard.My Mavic hit the branch and then proceeded to tumble and bounce, while hitting every branch on the tree, until it finally hit the ground.
The only way to explain it is it was like watching the Price Is Right while some one is playing Plinko.
Prob only took 10-15 seconds to hit the ground after impact but it felt like 10 minutes
the entire time I was praying that it did not get hung up in the tree.

After recovering my Mavic 2 - - the front 2 props were nowhere to be seen
I popped on two new props and whaaa Laaa = = she took right off and flew without any problems

Now, operationally, it was fine - BUT - - the front right leg (antenna) was bent back pretty bad and the plastic cracking

Having the OCD issues I suffer when it comes to my drone being "perfect"
I chose to send it in to DJI
I did not lie a bit as to my description of the incident - ( They would be able to tell I was lying with the flight logs anyway )

Well - - lucky for me - - I had purchased the DJI Keep Flying "insurance" policy which states
( copied and pasted from DJI website)
DJI care - keep flying. DJI Care is a service plan that provides you with peace of mind, covering damage to your DJI aircraft, gimbal or camera sustained during normal use. During DJI Care's period of validity, if accidental damage occurs during normal use, repair fees and related costs will be covered by DJI.

The "policy" also goes further to specify that DJI would cover TWO drone replacements / repairs per year.

Surprise Surprise
Guess their definition of "accidental damage" / "normal use" does not include a pilot accidentally flying into a tree branch in the winter months when the trees have no leaves to aid in seeing them !!!!!!!
They were nice enough to send me a bill for $119
Although the price was not my big issue - - I still feel I was ripped off !

Makes me wonder - - - - What exactly do they consider " Accidental damage" and "Normal Use" ???????

Until this incident - - I was a HUGE fan of DJI and bragged them up to everybody I talked with while also encouraging / pointing out the option of purchasing the Keep Flying policy

Save your money folks - - - it's a loose, loose

Never again !
live and learn

Cheers all
Happy flying

Reactions: TTP
Kinda weird, did you ask them to apply your Care Refresh in this case ?

Such a crash (in fact even if you flew it into a brick wall) is usually covered, though one could say technically crashing is not (or should not) normal use.
Their website doesn't allow me to view the US site (easily at least) to compare the first replacement fee, but it would be well under US$119 I'd say.
First replacement fee here in Australia is AUD$119, which should be about US$80, but I'm not sure if the US market size allows a cheaper pricing point.

Really, saving one of your 2 Care Refresh for a potential 2 worse crashes might not be so bad, only US$40 or so more premium for the repair ???
I hope that you don't have any more issues come up due to the crash, that are not discernible to the eye, hopefully all flight and camera functions are still perfect etc.

No matter what the case, I would have expected DJI to contact you to advise what they found wrong, what options there were like Care Refresh use, repair option / price, and get your approval before they do anything in the way of a repair.

Kinda weird, did you ask them to apply your Care Refresh in this case ?

Such a crash (in fact even if you flew it into a brick wall) is usually covered, though one could say technically crashing is not (or should not) normal use.
Their website doesn't allow me to view the US site (easily at least) to compare the first replacement fee, but it would be well under US$119 I'd say.
First replacement fee here in Australia is AUD$119, which should be about US$80, but I'm not sure if the US market size allows a cheaper pricing point.

Really, saving one of your 2 Care Refresh for a potential 2 worse crashes might not be so bad, only US$40 or so more premium for the repair ???
I hope that you don't have any more issues come up due to the crash, that are not discernible to the eye, hopefully all flight and camera functions are still perfect etc.

No matter what the case, I would have expected DJI to contact you to advise what they found wrong, what options there were like Care Refresh use, repair option / price, and get your approval before they do anything in the way of a repair.

DJI policy here in the states says FREE repair / replacement along with free shipping
I'm trying to argue it out but I guess I'm kinda feeling like I should not have to result to that.

I am a real A**hole when it comes to things like this and many time - I believe I succeed only because the companies get tired of arguing with me - - LOL

Hope your family wasn't affected by the fires we are hearing about on this side of the pond

Cheers my friend

DJI policy here in the states says FREE repair / replacement along with free shipping
I'm trying to argue it out but I guess I'm kinda feeling like I should not have to result to that.

I am a real A**hole when it comes to things like this and many time - I believe I succeed only because the companies get tired of arguing with me - - LOL

Hope your family wasn't affected by the fires we are hearing about on this side of the pond

Cheers my friend

Ah, Care Refresh does have a replacement fee for either claim one or two.
It's like an insurance excess . . . thinking about how it's applied, it IS an excess payable with a claim on the plan.

Does that policy "FREE repair / replacement along with free shipping" apply to warranty claims (that are successful)?
Maybe it is the Care Refresh plan fee they are charging ??

Take a look on the US DJI site, how I find it for the Oz version . . . Google > DJI Care Refresh terms and conditions

Thanks for the thoughts we were fine, and only a small area of the hills north of us, and Kangaroo Is were affected (so far this season) in south Australia.
It was mostly the east coast New South Wales, Aust Capital Territory, Victoria and Queensland affected, and even though only small regions of those, some were really in a bad situation.

All good now the floods have come !!!
Most fires are well and truly out, or totally under control.
From one extreme to the other for NSW with weather / rain.

Reactions: Gindra
@KennyL ,

I've had almost the exact same crash scenario when I first started. Poor depth perception combined with the lack of leaves in the winter is a recipe for disaster. I'm sorry that happened.

To answer you question DJI does cover accidents, but they charge you that "replacement fee." Its essentially a deductible not unlike a normal insurance plan. This fee is for accidents involving collisions, water damage, you dropped it, or signal interference, etc. To get a replacement for free, it has to be a warranty issue. For example, something when wrong with the aircraft, possibly a sensor, motor, etc., causing a loss of aircraft control. Others on this forum have seem to have been able to get free repairs from bonafide fly-aways. The normal or "warranty" replacement seems like it take a lot longer because of the time required to analyze the logs.

Total time from crash, to mail in, to receiving a replacement for me was 21 days using DJI's insurance. They sent me a brand new drone (or refurb - but I can't tell), different serial and all.

More policy info is on their website under the FAQ. Probably not what you want to hear but I hope this helps.

Reactions: Gindra
After my first real crash that caused me to send my M2P to DJI's service location in the Netherlands, cost about US $ 350, I got a brand new drone, so I bought DJI's Care Refrech Service Agreement for about US $ 150, a purchase that I really regret .

Failure of the drone which means repairs is IMO in 99% piloterror.

So when, due to an idiotic decision to start a flight in the wrong environment and which resulted in only 2 minutes of flight in a crash similar to the one above, I decided to repair the damage myself, cost about 125 US $ bought spare parts from local supplier, all fixed in less than a week.

Hopefully, the crashes will get fewer as my pilot ability gets better through intense practice.

• Sad
Reactions: KennyL
From DJI Care Refresh site: "For DJI Care Refresh (Mavic 2 series), the first time replacement fee is $119, the second time replacement fee is $139."

You might want to see if State Farm has a policy in your area. I paid $30 for a year and it covers everything without any extra charges, even if lost or stolen. It would be less than your second replacement fee of $139.

Thanks Mossiback,

State Farm does not appear to be in Sweden.

Thanks Mossiback,

State Farm does not appear to be in Sweden.
The OP is in Indiana. It is not available in all states and outside the US. Some have been able to add it to their homeowners policy.

From DJI Care Refresh site: "For DJI Care Refresh (Mavic 2 series), the first time replacement fee is $119, the second time replacement fee is $139."

You might want to see if State Farm has a policy in your area. I paid $30 for a year and it covers everything without any extra charges, even if lost or stolen. It would be less than your second replacement fee of $139.
I also have State Farm insurance for my M2Z and accessories (Batteries, remotes, etc.). The policy is $75 per year, guaranteed replacement cost - crash damage or loss. I obtained this after dealing with an unrecoverable craft with DJI Refresh. The risk was too great, and I’ve been flying for years - yes accidents still happen. I’ve not had to make a claim since I’ve had this policy, but a couple of friends have used it and you get a check/direct deposit within a week of the claim. I like this a lot better.

I tried your link @Mossiback and clever DJI won't allow me to view the US site, takes me to AU version.
But if that is $US you quoted, it's very odd, as those are the exact same replacement fees they charge here in AUD$.

Yet US$119 = AUD$176.70 . . . and US$139 = AUD$206.40

So for some unknown reason the AUD charge for these fees are a lot less comparatively to the US, most reversed from the usual situation.

I tried your link @Mossiback and clever DJI won't allow me to view the US site, takes me to AU version.
But if that is $US you quoted, it's very odd, as those are the exact same replacement fees they charge here in AUD$.
Funny thing is when I pasted the URL into the Tor browser, it gave me a German site.

The price I mentioned was in $US. Hopefully, DJI won't wise up about the difference.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Treknotika