DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mini 4 Pro info release

Addressing a few posts...
  • DJI released an SDK for the Mini 3(P). It only supports Virtual Stick operation, so the drone must stay connected to run and complete the mission.
  • Litchi has decided to develop a new application, Litchi Pilot, which is currently in beta. It has a long way to go to match the functionality of Litchi. The Mini 3(P) is only supported on the new app, not supported on Litchi.
  • Will the Mini 4 family be supported with an SDK? Pure speculation, but since DJI has provided support for most (all?) minis, it's likely. Also near certainty to be Virtual Stick to protect the value of the A3 and M3, with built-in autonomous waypoint execution.

Reactions: solidhouse
The Mini 3(P) is only supported on the new app, not supported on Litchi
Ah, so Litchi really isn't free forever once you buy it 🤔

Really though, I don't know how anyone can stay in business with a "free forever" business model like Litchi.

Ah, so Litchi really isn't free forever once you buy it 🤔

Well, context is important. Within the constraints of never having to pay again to use it for the aircraft your bought it for, it's true.

Really though, I don't know how anyone can stay in business with a "free forever" business model like Litchi.

Me too. Eventually they have to some way to keep earning money, and it usually pisses off existing customers. Litchi Pilot looks like just such a move. Nothing I've seen yet about it, but I'm expecting a subscription model with the new app when it's finished.

I'm going through this right now with my lifetime SiriusXM subscription, bought 20 years ago when Sirius was little and XM was big, IIRC. A fast-growth play at the time.

For the last 5 years plus they've been doing everything they can to try and drop me, nickel-and-dime me to death, and on and on.

They've received exactly $0 from me since I initially signed up and paid for a lifetime subscription. Now honor it, you jerks.

Well, context is important. Within the constraints of never having to pay again to use it for the aircraft your bought it for, it's true.
Well, yeah, there are lifetime subscriptions like that too. However, Litchi has been adding new aircraft models for some time now.

I'm expecting a subscription model with the new app when it's finished
That or have a subscription model that only needs to be renewed to install new updates after a year of free updates.

I think I read somewhere that MSDK 5.0 was a complete rewrite, and a lot of the interfaces changed. The work to port the Litchi code base to 5.0 was going to be enormous, so Litchi decided for this reason, among others, to start from scratch with Litchi Pilot.

The quesion for me will be how many accessories will retro fit . But no doubt selling my 3 for a copula hundred quid will pay for that.

…. Compared to the 3, based on this photo (if it is real) how much of an upgrade is this 4 anyways?
I am amateur who is videographer/photographer weighted for my drone use (vs. more interested in flying as a thing in itself.)
>full collision sensors: not a big deal
>front legs: I 3d printed my own but could have bought some online, not a big deal
>4k/100fps: not a big deal
>Ocusync 4/longer range: I modded my RC with external antenna and its fine so also not a big deal.
>Waypoints: I really care about this.

I am annoyed that I didn't understand at the time that buying the kit with the RC meant I would never get the ability to fly waypoint missions, ever (or requires buying a 2nd remote that works with a phone.) This was my first DJI drone and I assumed that every modern drone that cost >$200 would support waypoints. My mistake, my learning curve.
The Mini 4 seems a mostly software upgrade other than the improved obstacle sensors. I am preparing to be annoyed that getting 1st party waypoint missions will require a new drone. An alternative is getting an RC-N1 and waiting for Litchi Pilot.

All around OA sensors is a HUGE upgrade, no matter what anyone says.

So yes, my Mini 3 Pro is a goner as soon as this one is out.

If the batteries fit it is even better, I have 4 extended flight time (47min) batteries.

Reactions: BroomRider

If the batteries fit it is even better, I have 4 extended flight time (47min) batteries.
LOL we don't know the price yet.

Lol, it is a mini, it will be positioned below Air 3, lol.
Agreed, hope they position the pricing that way as well. Probably a good deal for first time buyer or someone looking to decide between the Mini or the Air but us Mini 3 Pro owners have a different decision to make when it comes to upgrade and it is very much price dependent. Sorry I forgot to specify I'm looking to upgrade. But I agree with you, accessory compatibility is almost a must.

Reactions: BroomRider

I am happy to have OA on my Air 2S, but I also don't mind I don't have it on my Mini 3.

I fly with caution and OA isn't something I rely on to prevent collisions.

I dont think APAS works very well in automated flight modes anyway, at least APAS 4.0 had warnings about it... low light, sport mode, higher resolution, there are several scenarios the manual warns against relying on it.

No for me, I'd rather fly safer routes and double check them before risking a drone relying on an obstacle avoidance system.

Reactions: scro and mavic3usa
I am happy to have OA on my Air 2S, but I also don't mind I don't have it on my Mini 3.

I fly with caution and OA isn't something I rely on to prevent collisions.

I fly with a sleeping mask on, so OA is the only thing that keeps me from crashing 😁😁😁

sleep-mask-2048px-4626.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: scro
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes