DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Refresh *doesn't* cover sunk drones!?

I'm sure that's correct, but DJI has a history of offering at least something in similar cases - avoidable incidents arising from unexpected aircraft response. I think it's at least worth asking them to reconsider.

Exactly. They sent me a drone back when I crashed mine in a fast moving river. Luckily, I had footage of the drone hitting the bridge and then the water. To be honest, I kind of see their point. If they didn't ask for the drone, people could potentially turn in fake claims and have another $1000 drone for $100. Guys love criticizing DJI and their policies but if you step back and look at it with an unbiased eye, you can kinda understand their point of view.

Last edited:
Isn’t this crap really, a comprehensive DJI policy would do so much to engraciate dji with its customers, it just seems like a con...

You don't have to buy it and I've used it twice with no problems. I didn't hesitate to buy it on my Mavic 2 Pro, which is my third DJI drone or my Osmo Pocket, which is my second Osmo (third if you count the Osmo Mobile). You have to read the contract and understand its limitations, just like any other service contract or insurance policy. It's not as if they've hidden the terms of the agreement. If you can't be bothered to read them...

Last edited:
You don't have to buy it and I've used it twice with no problems. I didn't hesitate to buy it on my Mavic 2 Pro, which is my third drone or my Osmo Pocket, which is my second Osmo (third if you count the Osmo Mobile). You have to read the contract and understand its limitations, just like any other service contract or insurance policy. It's not as if they've hidden the terms of the agreement. If you can't be bothered to read them...
EXACTLY

Still crap though....why not offer an all inclusive policy.... it just seems dumb, commercialy....my Lloyd’s policy covers any loss, and it’s cheaper!

why not offer an all inclusive policy.... it just seems dumb, commercialy
Maybe they are concerned about fraud? You could get two free drones at an awesome discount by telling DJI you "lost" your drone.

Still crap though....why not offer an all inclusive policy.... it just seems dumb, commercialy....my Lloyd’s policy covers any loss, and it’s cheaper!

Perhaps because they are not an insurance company?

This could be a crazy idea but what about a magnet on a rope?? Worth a shot as you know where it went down. Pulling for ya to be back in the air soon!

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Perhaps because they are not an insurance company?

But they offer insurance, so by definition ?? presumably through another insurance company... I’ll stick to a proper policy, why wouldn’t anyone....crazy logic..big smile.

This could be a crazy idea but what about a magnet on a rope?? Worth a shot as you know where it went down. Pulling for ya to be back in the air soon!
That might work if someone attached a small steel plate to the optional camera mount on top prior to take off. Not a terrible idea......

But they offer insurance, so by definition ?? presumably through another insurance company... I’ll stick to a proper policy, why wouldn’t anyone....crazy logic..big smile.

They simply offer to replace crashed drones. It's like Apple Care. A real insurance policy may be preferable, as long as the insurance company doesn't pull the State Farm trick of dropping you if you actually claim on it.

Reactions: msinger
On current iTunes, when your phone is connected, click on the phone icon to see it's contents. There is a section showing apps that can share data with your Mac. Click on the DJI GO app and in the window it will show the app contents, click on the folder/s you want. You may have to scroll down (I did) to the bottom of the page where you'll see a save button. Click that, choose a desired location and save. Go back to your Mac, open the folder and select the record you need by date and time. I've forgotten what file type the site asks for but the one that works is a txt file. Good luck! :)

That might work if someone attached a small steel plate to the optional camera mount on top prior to take off. Not a terrible idea......
Well the bird should technically have enough metal inside, no? Would just just need a powerful magnet from the hardware store or something.

I feel for you but this topic has been beat to death, buried, resurrected, beat to death and buried x10000. If you can physically get the drone or prove that it’s an issue with the hardware, you should be ok but if not, you’re out of luck. I would guess it was a bird that knocked it out of the sky.
That reply has been beat to death TOO.

yep it's gone, need to dive and get it. I lost mine in trees because it became disconnected, the mavic 2 pro doesn't have a gps on it and the find my drone was not accurate. Too bad for me, had to buy a new one. I will be buying a gps tracker for it next time.

W
Unfortunately, the getterback device has the best chance of working in shallower water, but just cannot lift a Mavic 2 in any case. (It was designed for fishing rods that were dropped into the water, not drones.)

The additional pressure at greater depths will keep the tiny amount of air from the O2 cartridge from fully inflating the balloon, which, again, in the best condition, doesn't have enough buoyancy to lift a Mavic 2.

At risk of beating a dead horse, the only trustworthy option that I've seen and investigated would be the floating skids from iRepairMD.
Well, first off the device activates in less then 10 feet of depth, second it doesn't lift the drone you do. Hope you don't think a Mavic gains enough weight to break the 10 lb limit of the Kevlar breaded line. What you stated doesn't make sense.

Just (within the last hour) lost my DJI Mavic 2 Pro. I had been flying over our local harbour for the past 35 minutes with no issues. Got some great shots. Suddenly, the M2P literally plummets out of the sky into the harbour! Unrecoverable (at least, by me). Immediately come here to look for info about how to go about getting DJI Refresh replacement package and I see a couple of comments stating that if you can't physically recover the drone, DJI won't replace it.

Please tell me that isn't true....

I thought that was pretty common knowledge and stated quite clearly in the contract. Keeps people from claming they lost it then scavenging one for parts.

If the harbor doesnt have crazy currents you may be able to pay someone to dive for it. Keep in mind unless you skinned it the darn things are dark grey and likely to blend in with bottom detritus

yep it's gone, need to dive and get it. I lost mine in trees because it became disconnected, the mavic 2 pro doesn't have a gps on it and the find my drone was not accurate. Too bad for me, had to buy a new one. I will be buying a gps tracker for it next time.
M2 does have GPS. If it didn't, RTH would not be possible.
What it doesn't have is GPS tracking separate from its flight power and radio.

Reactions: JDawg
Don`t know how deep it is, but if the scuba dudes are too pricey. What about a free diver or an spearfisher. Me I`d probably have a go for a case or two of beer. (nothing to do with the fact that I am on the turps now)

I feel for you. But on another note. As a noob who is yet to even purchase a drone. I have read this post from start to finish so far and the info in this thread is invaluable. Sorry it comes at your expense though, and wish you nothing but luck with DJI.
I have to say I do agree with their policy, there are far too many crooks in this world that would take advantage.

So for me, I think that when I get a drone I wont use it over water without a gopro or something to record it, in the event of a drowning.

I also have a question. When flying over water or in fog do most people turn off the sensors? Or what are the best practices / precautions?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Olga