DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji sink my Mavic pro

Is there a way to film in a NFZ if you have permission from the authorities? I have a job coming up in a few weeks at our local airport and a little distance off. I have the permit and such but how would I relay that to DJI?

I don't think the app initiates autolanding as stopping this behaviour would be as simple as killing the app. It's possible but unlikely.

I believe the app updates the dynamic NFZs and the aircraft figures out if it should land based on its GPS location. That's why I've observed this issue on more than one occasions when I got spotty Wi-Fi signal, being just outside of my house.

I will be able to test this behaviour this afternoon. Anyone who lives within an yellow NFZ could do the same by:
* Taking off
* Disable the authorisation of the yellow NFZ
* Kill the app before it forces landing

I expect that the aircraft will auto land regardless, but it's worth a try.

I have tested this and can confirm that unplugging/killing the app does not cancel the auto landing.

Based on this I'm quite confident that it is the aircraft that interprets the NFZs, the app only sends information about the NFZs as and when needed. So to ensure that we do not get caught by the dynamic NFZs, one could simply fly in Airplane mode.

From a programming perspective, it makes more sense for DJI to only update its NFZ database when the aircraft is not air-borne. These periods are:
* After the aircraft has landed
* After the app has started. We could guess that the app makes a reasonable assumption that user cannot take off before the app is connected which is generally correct, especially after firmware 800. However, it does not take into account app crashes.

Aside from having spotty connections, I believe the following situation will also cause a forced-landing:
* Taking off using a third-party app that does not support GEO System such as Litchi, in a yellow NFZ
* Close Litchi and open DJI Go
* The GEO System feature is enforced, the yellow NFZ now causes a forced landing that is triggered by the app

I think something other could have happened...
You start up your drone without having GPS.
You start flying immediately and then when above the water your GPS locks in and the app sees that you are in a NFZ and then starts to land in Auto mode.

Since the screenshot is half way our flight route and you are 31 seconds in the air means something like that.
I could not imagine that DJI let you fly into a NFZ and then Auto-land. If so, then this will not be the last drone which is gonna swim or vanish.
sounds very plausible... well spotted I thought, but then reading on, I think thats 31 sec counting from the restart of the app! Whats the outcome? Did you get in touch with DJI on this? I presume your mavic is at the bottom of the lake , or did you somewhat retrieve it?

Last edited:
I upgraded to the newest firmware 2 weeks ago and had major "quirky" behavior when I tried to fly it on the edge of a NFZ that I had flown in numerous times with no problem. I went back to the older firmware (.500) and tried flying in a remote area in Colorado and the weird behavior resumed. Altitude and distance on the RC were way off and lots of screen "flashing and then the camera view went away on my second battery. These are all new behaviors since the newest firmware was installed. My theory is DJI is responding to government pressure to limit the Mavics capabilities (threat) but they cant admit that, so discouragement of use in hope everyone will move over to the Spark. Just a theory, but I'm running out of patience.

Reactions: beerguy
Why does it land the drone automatically? Why can't it at least just drop to like 25' and hover and not allow any higher so situations like this wound t happen?

Reactions: Hal.N
I live on the edge of a NFZ because of a LifeFlight heliport but I've never experienced this. I get an option to accept the warning and fly anyways. If I take the drone over to my regular flight area and attempt to fly back in to the NFZ it just stops and slowly backs out.

I would talk to a lawyer and see if there is any possibility of making DJI fully refund. Laywer on a no result-no fee basis

Reactions: Boblelezard
I tried to fly in areas, i did not know had nfz, but motors did not even start, I had no chance to fly, but in this area I was flying for about 5 minutes, and then it just took it down without a chance to land it.

Wow, you guys have drastic stuff going on over there ... I live and fly in France and I only get warnings. My MP doesn't just go down. Also, I would think it would be illegal for DJI to land your Mavic in the water before you even got a chance to turn around. I mean even a couple F18s will give an unidentified plane the chance to get out of there!!

Well, he isn't answering, but if this happened Friday it was the day POTUS was in NewJersey- 30 nautical mile radius NFZ between 16:45 and 17:45 ET. Not sure how DJI handles that, but my guess is his phone crashed after he launched, he started it back up, he was now in the time slot for the NFZ, and once he reconnected to his Mavic it did a stupid land due to NFZ.
Sorry for what may end up sounding like a dumb question but I have had terrible weather and also very busy with other issues so I have not been able to keep up with all the new news and issues with DJI & MAVIC. You now need internet to fly ?? My iPad 4 does not neither does my BT-300 unless I bring a hot spot which I do not have. Is this true or partially true or all together false please explain.

I'm in Staten Island as well I like to fly down by lemon creek park and the south shore fishing pier

Not thrilled with what's going on it's making it even harder to fly! Bad weather, work, limited places to fly and what sounds like flight restricted NFZ's it's gotta get better

I would talk to a lawyer and see if there is any possibility of making DJI fully refund. Laywer on a no result-no fee basis

I'd love to see what sort of lawyer you can get to take a $1,000 case on a contingency basis :)

For the OP, reach out to DJI give them whatever information they ask for and see what happens.

... but if as you say, you knew about TFR, then it probably wasn't the best idea to go fly anyway...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78