DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Statement for Remote ID (7/1/2023) It states many will NOT have to buy a module and have a Firmware update FYI

rickfmdj

Reactions
From DJI forum:

DJI, the global leader in civilian drones and creative camera technology, is dedicated to providing our valued customers with important updates regarding compliance with the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA)remote identification (remote ID) regulation.

Remote ID refers to a drone's ability to transmit identification and location information during flight, which can be received by relevant parties. By implementing remote ID, the FAA aims to enhance situational awareness, streamline airspace management, monitor compliance, and support law enforcement efforts. According to FAA, all drone pilots required to register their UAS must operate their aircraft in accordance with the final rule on remote ID beginning September 16, 2023.

All DJI drones manufactured after September 16, 2022, such as Mavic 3 Pro, Mavic 3 Classic, Inspire 3, and DJI Mini 3, all have built-in remote ID capabilities. For drone pilots operating other DJI models to ensure compliance with the remote ID requirements, they have three options:

1. Update the Drone’s Firmware: Several of DJIs latest and most popular drone models have obtained, or will soon receive firmware updates to support remote ID functionality. These updates guarantee that you can adhere to the FAA's remote ID regulations.
2. Purchase a Separate Broadcast Module: In cases where certain drone models cannot receive firmware updates for remote ID, customers have the option to purchase a separate broadcast module. This module can be retrofitted onto your drone and broadcasts identification and location information as required by the remote ID rule.
3. Fly within FAA-Recognized Identification Areas (FRIAs): FRIAs are specific locations recognized by the FAA where drones can operate without the need for remote ID transmission.

While we strive to support as many customers as possible, certain older drone models cannot receive firmware updates for remote ID due to hardware compatibility limitations. For owners of unsupported drone models, we encourage you to consider purchasing a separate broadcast module to ensure compliance with remote ID regulations.

Below outlines the status of the Remote ID compliance of DJI’s consumer drones:

Drone Model Name
Broadcast Module Needed?
No​
No​
No​
No​
Mavic 3 Cine​
No​
No​
No​
Inspire 3​
No​
Mavic 3 Pro​
No​
Mavic 3 Pro Cine​
No​
FPV
No; Firmware upgrade will available by August 31, 2023 at the latest​
No; Firmware upgrade will available by September 30, 2023 at the latest​
No; Firmware upgrade will available by December 31, 2023 at the latest​
Phantom 4 Pro v2.0​
No; Firmware upgrade will available by December 31, 2023 at the latest

At DJI, we are passionate about driving the drone industry forward while ensuring safety and compliance. We appreciate your support and understanding as we navigate the evolving landscape of drone regulations.

*I hope this helps all and is true as I got it.*

I will be buying a few modules myself.
I am keeping ALL my drones and flying them. So it will be nice to have a few lying around.

Unfortunately, firmware upgrades for Mavic Air 2, Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic 2 Zoom, and Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 are all coming after the mandatory implementation date of September 16, 2023. this means these drones are "grounded" until the firmware is made available. The other option to be able to fly legally while awaiting the projected firmware dates would be to purchase a 3rd party add-on broadcast module.
Seems as if the DJI developer team is way behind the power curve on getting the firmware updates out before the implementation dates.
I think "grounded" is not the right word. Neither the FAA nor DJI will ground your drone and only the pilot can make the decision not to fly. When we reach the deadline, non-compliant drones will continue to fly; however, they cannot fly legally without RID. Not trying to nit-pick but to me grounded means something a little bit different. Anyone who thinks millions of drones will be grounded in mid-September......

Anyway, my DJI FPV got the RID update a full 30-days before promised. I wouldn't say DJI is behind the power curve but it's probably going to take older drones a little longer which is better than saying they won't get to them ever. DJI probably thinks it is ok to be late because the "option" is viable and easily doable (broadcast module) and in no way can be seen as some sort of roadblock. This piece has already been discussed and it was determined (by everyone) that a broadcast module was equally effective and an acceptable solution. Perhaps DJI found a way to make RID work and decided to crush the competition who all seem to be giving up at this point.

I understand commercial operators more than likely have to fully comply which is why they should do what is best for their business and that might be obtaining your RID broadcast modules today....but, it's their risk so they'll do what works for them which may include "grounding" their fleet. When the government says you need a permit to do business and the permit process takes 30 days, you generally don't wait until the deadline. I'm only guessing than 95% of recreational flyers will keep flying either way.

Reactions: mereflyer
I will be buying a few modules myself.
I am keeping ALL my drones and flying them. So it will be nice to have a few lying around.
As a recreational flyer, I only intend to buy one broadcast module and I'll use it on each of the three or four drones that I end up with out of compliance. No one should feel like they are stuck with the modules, I do believe they will have some amount of resale value. Like everything else, you might not get all your money back but at the end of the year if DJI comes thru, I'm sure these can sell at half price as long as the aftermarket doesn't crash with a slew of RID modules after RID date.

DJI developer team is way behind the power curve
One thought would that they have their hands full while working on upcoming models that we all have yet to even hear about. Any business that spends an inappropriate amount of time delving in the past gets a shot in the backside, or run over by their competitors, which in DJI’s case just won’t be an accurate description.

Reactions: maggior
As a recreational flyer, I only intend to buy one broadcast module and I'll use it on each of the three or four drones that I end up with out of compliance. No one should feel like they are stuck with the modules, I do believe they will have some amount of resale value. Like everything else, you might not get all your money back but at the end of the year if DJI comes thru, I'm sure these can sell at half price as long as the aftermarket doesn't crash with a slew of RID modules after RID date.
,I'm to messy for just one lol

Reactions: mavic3usa
I decided not to wait to find out if my older models would be supported. I bought the Mavic 3 Classic, and the Mini 3 Pro, to replace my Mavic 2 Pro, and my Mini 2, and sold both of them to a friend who's just starting out.
I, also, picked up the Mini 3, for its extended flight times utilizing the "Plus" Model batteries (Ya gotta love 48+ minute flights).
By changing my line-up, there'll be no external modules for me!

From DJI forum:

DJI, the global leader in civilian drones and creative camera technology, is dedicated to providing our valued customers with important updates regarding compliance with the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA)remote identification (remote ID) regulation.

Remote ID refers to a drone's ability to transmit identification and location information during flight, which can be received by relevant parties. By implementing remote ID, the FAA aims to enhance situational awareness, streamline airspace management, monitor compliance, and support law enforcement efforts. According to FAA, all drone pilots required to register their UAS must operate their aircraft in accordance with the final rule on remote ID beginning September 16, 2023.

All DJI drones manufactured after September 16, 2022, such as Mavic 3 Pro, Mavic 3 Classic, Inspire 3, and DJI Mini 3, all have built-in remote ID capabilities. For drone pilots operating other DJI models to ensure compliance with the remote ID requirements, they have three options:

1. Update the Drone’s Firmware: Several of DJIs latest and most popular drone models have obtained, or will soon receive firmware updates to support remote ID functionality. These updates guarantee that you can adhere to the FAA's remote ID regulations.
2. Purchase a Separate Broadcast Module: In cases where certain drone models cannot receive firmware updates for remote ID, customers have the option to purchase a separate broadcast module. This module can be retrofitted onto your drone and broadcasts identification and location information as required by the remote ID rule.
3. Fly within FAA-Recognized Identification Areas (FRIAs): FRIAs are specific locations recognized by the FAA where drones can operate without the need for remote ID transmission.

While we strive to support as many customers as possible, certain older drone models cannot receive firmware updates for remote ID due to hardware compatibility limitations. For owners of unsupported drone models, we encourage you to consider purchasing a separate broadcast module to ensure compliance with remote ID regulations.

Below outlines the status of the Remote ID compliance of DJI’s consumer drones:

Drone Model Name

Broadcast Module Needed?

No​

No​

No​

No​
Mavic 3 Cine​

No​

No​

No​
Inspire 3​

No​
Mavic 3 Pro​

No​
Mavic 3 Pro Cine​

No​
FPV

No; Firmware upgrade will available by August 31, 2023 at the latest​

No; Firmware upgrade will available by September 30, 2023 at the latest​

Phantom 4 Pro v2.0​

No; Firmware upgrade will available by December 31, 2023 at the latest

At DJI, we are passionate about driving the drone industry forward while ensuring safety and compliance. We appreciate your support and understanding as we navigate the evolving landscape of drone regulations.

*I hope this helps all and is true as I got it.*
I, for one, and sorely disappointed in DJI! In a conversation I had with DJI a month ago, I was told the MAVIC Air and the MAVIC Mini would have Remote ID -- THEY LIED!! I understand the Phantom 3 Standard not having it, but to forsake loyal customers and try to force them to buy more expensive DJI Drones is shameful to say the least!
There's a lot of life left in both of my drones and now I have to spend $300 per drone to make them legal - SHAME ON YOU DJI!!

I, for one, and sorely disappointed in DJI! In a conversation I had with DJI a month ago, I was told the MAVIC Air and the MAVIC Mini would have Remote ID -- THEY LIED!! I understand the Phantom 3 Standard not having it, but to forsake loyal customers and try to force them to buy more expensive DJI Drones is shameful to say the least!
There's a lot of life left in both of my drones and now I have to spend $300 per drone to make them legal - SHAME ON YOU DJI!!
You sure this is not the fault of the FAA, you blaming DJI for RID?

Under 250g drones do not require RID for recreational use in the USA.
Not blaming the FAA -- DJI!! RID is necessary except for the part of broadcasting where the RPIC is standing...

Yeah... kind of silly to nail DJI for failing to add RID to a drone that doesn't require it. Use for commercial purposes by p.107 notwithstanding.

This opinion will certainly be controversial, but it's what I think... Expecting the lowest tier, cheapest model of DJI drones to be supported by DJI for commercial work is silly. DJI obviously designed and marketed the mini for a casual hobby user. Just read the marketing copy.

There's nothing wrong with using it for commercial work, but one should expect it to not support that use very well.

Like not having RID.

If you insist on doing bridge inspections on the cheap, sell your Mini(2) to some ten year old in your neighborhood and get a Mini 3. You can still do those Bechtel construction shoots at skinflint costs.

In a conversation I had with DJI a month ago, I was told the MAVIC Air and the MAVIC Mini would have Remote ID -- THEY LIED!!
If there's one thing I've learned over the past 7 years it's - don't waste my time calling DJI customer service... they're not technicians, they are 'phone answerers' either giving out bad information or simply reading canned answers from a computer screen in most cases! The information gleaned from this very forum here is more factual, accurate, and useful - if you know how to separate the wheat from the chaff.

$300? You don't have to buy a uAvionex and you don't have to buy it right now. ... wait until September and you'll likely find them for less than $100 - that's what I'm counting on anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobj151 and Cafguy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne