DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Statement for Remote ID (7/1/2023) It states many will NOT have to buy a module and have a Firmware update FYI

I for one am disappointed in the lack of more companies out there selling RID modules. We knew this date was coming and there is just not enough of these out there. I know at first there will be a huge rush for these then the sales will probably die. But so far the ones out there I haven't seen one that are coming from the United States. I prefer to deal with companies in the US than with ones in Europe and Columbia. When I went to checkout the taxes were so high I choked and didn't put the order through. Plus the companies out there there has a back log on orders anyway. Now I have posted many times on the boards if anyone had any ideas where to get a module and there are very little replies to this. I need only one module for my Phantom 4 Pro version 1. I doubt there will ever be an upgrade from DJI for it. They are going to upgrade the Version 2 which is nice of them. I am glad I'll at least be able to fly the P4P in a FRIA in a AMA field but that will be it. I will be able to fly my mini 2 everywhere thank god as with my AIR2S.

It's a small market to begin with, that will disappear in any meaningful sense after probably the first year, maybe two.

What's the incentive to put in the investment to make something according to what we want – small, battery powered, cheap ($30)?

I suspect the best ROI calculations have the product breaking even at several hundred dollars, especially if a competitor or two is factored in.

It was a mistake to give any credibility to the statements about pricing and availability of these modules from that economic advisory powerhouse, the FAA.

For all those foreign companies making broadcast modules, they need to depend on stateside distributors and retailers to improve awareness and increase the sales. I agree, nobody wants to spend $40 to ship a module from overseas. I thought we had one or two vendors here in the America to handle the dronetags and honestly, if they could ramp up and create the right structure over the next couple of months, they could nail this problem at the right price.

It's a small market to begin with, that will disappear in any meaningful sense after probably the first year, maybe two.

What's the incentive to put in the investment to make something according to what we want – small, battery powered, cheap ($30)?

I suspect the best ROI calculations have the product breaking even at several hundred dollars, especially if a competitor or two is factored in.

It was a mistake to give any credibility to the statements about pricing and availability of these modules from that economic advisory powerhouse, the FAA.
I totally agree with you. It will be a hot product at first, then it will take a nose dive in sales. There will still be a market out there, as there will be drones out there , many drones out there that will still require them if flown part 107 or are over .250 grams. There needs to be some distributor state side of these modules though as I can't find one. So for the time being I know how I am going to have to fly my drones.

@shawgod everything hinges on what "many" means... 10s of thousands? 100s of thousands? Millions?

My guess is we're talking 10s of thousands. That's a micromarket, and given the expense in R&D, ramping up production, some inventory, marketing costs (at the very least you gotta get the word out), and FCC testing and approval, a decent return is gonna price these things out of reach.

People will decide to just spend a little more and buy a compliant drone, like the Mini 3.

wild idea ,if you invest in mini 3 than ducttape it to any larger(older) dji drone and use mini’s RID,you can stil legally fly older drones and enjoy mini 3 at the same time….2 in 1
😁

FAA says there might be something announced in the near future.

Stay tuned.
I'd love to hear more on this... this has been a pain to deal with in keeping our small fleet operationally ready. I run a small drone operation of 12 Mavic 2 pros at my company and have ordered a few dronetags from various suppliers hoping that one would deliver faster than the others. The Risk is having to ground my fleet until I can get them RID equipped.

I've heard rumors from some drone buddies that the FAA may be making an announcement, however, like this post I am curious if anyone knows more.

I'll try to call UAS support tomorrow to see what they have to say.

I just got off the phone with DJI technical support. Owners of DJI Mavic 2 pro do NOT need to purchase a module. Firmware update will make our drone FAA RID compliant. Firmware update coming soon!
Maybe you asked the wrong question. Did they say *when* firmware update was coming? Owners of DJI Mavic 2 Pro *will* have to purchase and use a broadcast module if the current FAA deadlines remains September 16 and you want to fly legally if the sw update is not timely.

We already know DJI plans to come out with an update eventually and we already know that you don't need to purchase a module if you don't plan to comply with the regulations so unless DJI technical support can firm up the sw update delivery date or provide an FAA-related reason for the delay, they are not really being helpful by telling customers not to purchase a module. But it's good they are at least aware customers are asking so maybe we get a fresh update as we get closer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas