DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI to restrict non-compliant drones at next software update

I for one would be VERY interested in reading the reply (if any) you get from DJI!
I did email them and I am waiting! Not like one upset customer will mean much to them I think we need to get a class action lawsuit or something that will get their attention.

Reactions: Bladzalot
Why should we stop talking about it?

Adiru is perfectly correct when he says you are further restricted with newer updates. I am running .0400 and have only encountered an NFZ message when I turned on my Mavic as a test near to a Major Airport. The moment I went to .0500 I had lots of NFZ messages even when I was not close to anything listed on a NFZ map. This is not something new, it is a well documented fact by numerous pilots. The NFZ list is growing with each update, that is another fact and the accuracy of it seems to decrease as DJI frantically adds new and unverified locations.

For some reason you insist on misreading just about everything I said in my post and just about everything Adiru says in his posts. Everything you've said about the mavic in your post is either entirely correct or is an expression of your opinion, which is fine. Adiru, on the other hand, routinely *asserts* incorrect information. For example, Adiru is not simply claiming you will be further restricted with newer updates. He has been saying that regardless of what version of firmware you currently have, even if you do not update it or update the app, you will be restricted. Of course this doesn't make sense, unless there is an expiration date on the firmware, which he called a "kill switch". Which brings me to the other part of your post.

I would also point out that you can add me into the Nut camp of people that thinks a Kill switch is already installed in the existing firmware. Companies do not tell you in advance that they are going to release an update that will make your product more restricted! Who would be that stupid? They only tell you after they know a high percentage of their customers have already installed a version that has a method to force an upgrade should it become necessary.

If your expecting to jump up and down and tell me "I told you so" a few weeks from now, you will be wasting your time. Whatever they installed will not be activated until a law is passed in your Geo region that requires the device to be tracked. So yes you might be fine not upgrading from .0700 for the next month or even a year, but if a law is passed in the USA requiring monitoring I will bet good money that if you turn on any kind of Data on your device you will find that your locked and required to login and get the latest updates.

That is *not* what he means by "kill switch". What adiru is claiming exists is a time-activated kill switch, not a remotely activated kill switch. What he is claiming is that even older versions of firmware have been programmed to expire after so many months, so as to require everyone with a mavic, regardless of whether or not you block off your mavic and phone from an internet connection, to eventually login and re-activate your drone. The reason he is claiming this is because it was pointed out to him that if you keep your drone and phone blocked off from the internet then there is no way DJI can restrict your drone. To a conspiracy theorist, that's not a reason for calm, that's a reason to up your game and introduce new levels of wackiness. Why is he saying these things? Who knows. But one reason seems to be that he wants people to download the VM he created to go to earlier firmware versions. If people realize that they can simply turn their internet off then there's no reason to download his VM and all his work will have been for nought.

I suspect people who are running older versions will just get the usual click bait that you need to update. Then you just ignore it and fly.

Again, he's claiming that even that won't be possible.

I am also puzzled by your statement that GPS time is some sort of myth. One of the features of GPS is to transmit very accurate UTC time. It would be absolutely shocking if DJI was not already using it for all sorts of things in the Mavic.

I never said GPS time is a myth. I said there's no evidence that DJI uses gps time to validate whether a firmware version has expired, mostly because there's no evidence that the firmware is programmed with an expiration date.

I think Adiru idea of tracking via radio signal as you said is based purely on the DJI documents. It probably was an idea at one point but all the statements I have seen from Chinese Beta testers indicate that they are using the internet to transmit the data via cell service.

Rob

Again, I didn't say anything about the idea itself. I said it is pure fiction that the DJI document shows what DJI's plans are with the newest firmware update. And it is also fiction that even if the idea was implemented that it would give everyone real time access to a database to a register of drones.

It could also be related to Chinas clamping down on recreational drone usage. That, in combination with the anticipated but overruled FAA restrictions, probably caused the required update.

Any other thoughts or threads on MP about this one?
It would be very simple, especially since their tech has BUILT IT GPS, to make the firmware regional. Just because China has drone regulations, does not mean the US follows suit. For **** sakes, we all going to start cutting off limbs for theft just because the middle east does?

Just my $0.02 but I feel like most people are over reacting a bit... although I can understand those perspectives as well.

I registered my drone when I bought it. Seemed like the right thing to do. I personally have no desire to fly when/where I shouldn't but above else I use common sense.

I really expect this new registration process so simply ensure that the pilot knows/understands the laws in the areas they are flying. I think it's going to be more of a CYA for DJI than anything. I do not expect that it will prohibit someone from flying anywhere or anytime but that it will simply be a sort of checklist to ensure that you understand the rules wherever you are flying and that you agree to them. In other words - DJI has informed you and you have accepted responsibility so anything that happens isn't their fault.

On the other hand - I do fully understand the people that feel this is a big over reach by DJI and not a great signal for the drone industry in general.

I disagree that it's not good for the drone industry however. I think if DJI doesn't take steps to regulate their own products/customers then the government will step in and that will not end well in my humble opinion.

I did email them and I am waiting! Not like one upset customer will mean much to them I think we need to get a class action lawsuit or something that will get their attention.
We just need someone to release custom firmware, problem solved. DJI GO app without NFZ would be worth triple digits to me, and I would be happy to support someone working on this both time wise, and financially. I am actually happy about this incoming ******** move because it is going to motivate the coders to circumvent the already existing ********...

Just my $0.02 but I feel like most people are over reacting a bit... although I can understand those perspectives as well.

I registered my drone when I bought it. Seemed like the right thing to do. I personally have no desire to fly when/where I shouldn't but above else I use common sense.

I really expect this new registration process so simply ensure that the pilot knows/understands the laws in the areas they are flying. I think it's going to be more of a CYA for DJI than anything. I do not expect that it will prohibit someone from flying anywhere or anytime but that it will simply be a sort of checklist to ensure that you understand the rules wherever you are flying and that you agree to them. In other words - DJI has informed you and you have accepted responsibility so anything that happens isn't their fault.

On the other hand - I do fully understand the people that feel this is a big over reach by DJI and not a great signal for the drone industry in general.

I disagree that it's not good for the drone industry however. I think if DJI doesn't take steps to regulate their own products/customers then the government will step in and that will not end well in my humble opinion.
I personally think it is great for the drone industry as a whole because this is going to be the straw that broke the camels back. People are going to go out and look for an alternative to their Mavic's, and when people start leaving DJI their monopoly becomes a little weaker. The more money we dump into competitors the better their next product becomes.

We just need someone to release custom firmware, problem solved. DJI GO app without NFZ would be worth triple digits to me, and I would be happy to support someone working on this both time wise, and financially. I am actually happy about this incoming ******** move because it is going to motivate the coders to circumvent the already existing ********...
Just curious (probably out of lack of experience with drones and NFZ's, etc... not meant as an argument starter) why would you want NFZ notifications/limits removed? I know the obvious answer - so you can fly where you want. But I don't understand why someone would desire to fly within a no fly zone unless they feel that the NFZ is not truly an NFZ?

Reactions: rigor and Bladzalot
Just curious (probably out of lack of experience with drones and NFZ's, etc... not meant as an argument starter) why would you want NFZ notifications/limits removed? I know the obvious answer - so you can fly where you want. But I don't understand why someone would desire to fly within a no fly zone unless they feel that the NFZ is not truly an NFZ?

Don't think it's being notified of NFZ that is seen as the problem, it is automatically disabling the equipment and force landing it that is the issue or not even allowing it to take off in first instance. Too many things can go wrong with this, better to leave it to the user to self regulate the flight and operate within the guidelines. You will always get the exceptions to this, but you can't build everything around exceptions otherwise we would all be covered in bubble wrap! In addition, this approach was never promoted in DJI marketing blurb or specs, so a lot of people upset with having this done after they have made their purchase.

Don't think it's being notified of NFZ that is seen as the problem, it is automatically disabling the equipment and force landing it that is the issue or not even allowing it to take off in first instance. Too many things can go wrong with this, better to leave it to the user to self regulate the flight and operate within the guidelines. You will always get the exceptions to this, but you can't build everything around exceptions otherwise we would all be covered in bubble wrap! In addition, this approach was never promoted in DJI marketing blurb or specs, so a lot of people upset with having this done after they have made their purchase.
So if you're in an NFZ before taking off, and it won't let you take off... why is that an issue?

I get the forced landing thing. But why not evoke RTH if you enter an NFZ while flying? Would that solve the concerns?

I do not have a problem with no fly zone warnings and restrictions when it comes to international airports within a 5-mile radius but they have way too many no-fly zones and authorizations so much so you can literally hardly fly. No drone has killed anybody and if that happens that would be what 1 drone out of a billion that are flying around and owned by individuals. People are killed by lawn mowers and they don't have any GPS lock or mandatory backup automatic shut-off Etc... People are hurt and even killed from tripping and falling..
Just go after the ones that break the laws and actually hurt or endanger people. These people usually post the videos of what they do because they're morons anyway not hard to find them.
If I really wanted to fly in a no-fly zone I have other quadcopters that I built with no GPS on them but I could fly anyplace I want as high as I want but I don't because I'm responsible as is the case with most of the quad/drone owners.

Me specifically: I did not do my research well enough, and read all the reviews of the Mavic, how awesome it is (it truly is) and dropped $1300 on the fly more kit. Got home super excited, did all my prep work, watch all the youtube videos for newbies, and went out to the backyard to see just what this baby could do...

Powered it up, got a notice that I need a firmware update.. lame, but no big deal... Took half an hour to update the Mavic and the controller and then went back outside super duper excited now to check out all the cool new stuff with the new firmware (.600). Powered everything up and got "unable to take off", and on the controller a big NFZ. Googled everything, researched everything, and found out that I live 1.5 miles from an unused airstrip.

Disappointed yet assuming that there was a solution, I put my new toy away, came inside and started researching. Found out how to use the exemptions dealio in the app and applied for permission to fly, which was granted... INSIDE OF THE YELLOW RING ONLY. My home sits literally 200ft inside of the red ring. So, if I want to fly I have to walk across the street and down the road, and then fly AWAY from my home, and that is ONLY after I get a three day exception to fly, which expires after three days.

I called the airstrip and spoke with the traffic controller and he was super cool. Wrote me a formal letter, on letterhead, stating that I can fly anytime I want, anywhere I want, other than over the fence that secures the airstrip. He simply requested that I do not breach 400ft in elevation if I can see any airplanes or helicopters in the area. I sent this letter, my GPS ordinates, pictures on google maps, and my reason to want to fly in my own freaking backyard.

All this transpired 8 weeks ago, I have emailed and called DJI three different times, and I still have no response, let alone an answer...

Now, I put a tinfoil diaper on my drone and fly in my backyard til my heart is content using the LItchi app, but I have to do it with limited safety due to no GPS, no return home, no tracking, etc...

Reactions: Blades
I do not have a problem with no fly zone warnings and restrictions when it comes to international airports within a 5-mile radius but they have way too many no-fly zones and authorizations so much so you can literally hardly fly. No drone has killed anybody and if that happens that would be what 1 drone out of a billion that are flying around and owned by individuals. People are killed by lawn mowers and they don't have any GPS lock or mandatory backup automatic shut-off Etc... People are hurt and even killed from tripping and falling..
Just go after the ones that break the laws and actually hurt or endanger people. These people usually post the videos of what they do because they're morons anyway not hard to find them.
If I really wanted to fly in a no-fly zone I have other quadcopters that I built with no GPS on them but I could fly anyplace I want as high as I want but I don't because I'm responsible as is the case with most of the quad/drone owners.
Understood. Thanks for the civil response.

I agree that if you look at certain areas of a map it's ridiculously prohibitive to fly. If we could rely on good common sense being applied by everyone then there would rarely be an issue. Unfortunately we can't. For people like you and I, a warning that we are in or near an NFZ is more than sufficient.

There's no great answer I'm afraid. And I think that DJI is likely trying to find that fine line between policing their own drone users without being overly restrictive while at the same time proving to the government that they are doing enough to keep them out of everyone's shorts.

The LAST thing we need or want is for the government to increase their involvement in this area. I think DJI is simply trying to protect against that by proactively implementing enough regulation of their own. It's going to be a bumpy and frustrating few years until all this gets sorted I'm afraid.

Reactions: Lou and Blades
So if you're in an NFZ before taking off, and it won't let you take off... why is that an issue?

I get the forced landing thing. But why not evoke RTH if you enter an NFZ while flying? Would that solve the concerns?
Currently I can walk outside the NFZ, take off, fly all over the place as long as it is not TOWARDS the NFZ. It is a trip, you can fly the drone 40mph towards the NFZ and the second it crosses that line, it is like it hit an invisible wall :)

I have looked at some of DJI's code and it's shiet! As with all Chinese products their Kung Fu is weak:D

I am not a hacker, it's the opposite in that I have to battle them on a routine basis. I have owned lots of personal devices that eventually got hacked by groups. All it takes is customer dissatisfaction and the ability to make Money. Both of which I am sad to say DJI is starting to provide. We already have one guy who runs a website selling firmware that will remove all Geo Locks on the Mavic for $200. If DJI does anything further their hardware and software is so weak that it will crumble within a matter of days to a serious group that knows they can make a million or more from their work. That equates to 5000 customers willing to pay $200 each. (an easy goal to achieve in this kind of atmosphere)

DJI will then learn what MaCom, Sony, Apple and many others have learned. Once you start going down this road you end up spending more money on security than on any other aspect of the product.

Rob

Me specifically: I did not do my research well enough, and read all the reviews of the Mavic, how awesome it is (it truly is) and dropped $1300 on the fly more kit. Got home super excited, did all my prep work, watch all the youtube videos for newbies, and went out to the backyard to see just what this baby could do...

Powered it up, got a notice that I need a firmware update.. lame, but no big deal... Took half an hour to update the Mavic and the controller and then went back outside super duper excited now to check out all the cool new stuff with the new firmware (.600). Powered everything up and got "unable to take off", and on the controller a big NFZ. Googled everything, researched everything, and found out that I live 1.5 miles from an unused airstrip.

Disappointed yet assuming that there was a solution, I put my new toy away, came inside and started researching. Found out how to use the exemptions dealio in the app and applied for permission to fly, which was granted... INSIDE OF THE YELLOW RING ONLY. My home sits literally 200ft inside of the red ring. So, if I want to fly I have to walk across the street and down the road, and then fly AWAY from my home, and that is ONLY after I get a three day exception to fly, which expires after three days.

I called the airstrip and spoke with the traffic controller and he was super cool. Wrote me a formal letter, on letterhead, stating that I can fly anytime I want, anywhere I want, other than over the fence that secures the airstrip. He simply requested that I do not breach 400ft in elevation if I can see any airplanes or helicopters in the area. I sent this letter, my GPS ordinates, pictures on google maps, and my reason to want to fly in my own freaking backyard.

All this transpired 8 weeks ago, I have emailed and called DJI three different times, and I still have no response, let alone an answer...

Now, I put a tinfoil diaper on my drone and fly in my backyard til my heart is content using the LItchi app, but I have to do it with limited safety due to no GPS, no return home, no tracking, etc...
Doh! That really does suck. It's scenarios like this that there needs to be a way to formally override the NFZ. I mean - you've done everything right but you are still limited for no good reason.

Appreciate the answer.

This is the type of problem that happens when the government starts dropping rules. They can't plan for every exception and the levels of bureaucracy can seem overwhelming.

Problems with original accuracy and DJI keeping the maps updated. Also, I guess if it is in your own backyard (or in your house) that would upset a lot of people!!!

I have looked at some of DJI's code and it's shiet! As with all Chinese products their Kung Fu is weak:D

I am not a hacker, it's the opposite in that I have to battle them on a routine basis. I have owned lots of personal devices that eventually got hacked by groups. All it takes is customer dissatisfaction and the ability to make Money. Both of which I am sad to say DJI is starting to provide. We already have one guy who runs a website selling firmware that will remove all Geo Locks on the Mavic for $200. If DJI does anything further their hardware and software is so weak that it will crumble within a matter of days to a serious group that knows they can make a million or more from their work. That equates to 5000 customers willing to pay $200 each. (an easy goal to achieve in this kind of atmosphere)

DJI will then learn what MaCom, Sony, Apple and many others have learned. Once you start going down this road you end up spending more money on security than on any other aspect of the product.

Rob
I have $200!!!! Where do I sign up?!

Reactions: Blades
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twixer_bear