DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI vs FAA Who’s In Control?

And really, it takes a few minutes, if I submitted to unlock a zone when I arrived at a location, chances are it would be unlocked by the time I was ready to fly.
But you can't do that on their $700.00+ Smart Controller. I have to contact both FAA and DJI to get permission to fly anywhere in my little tiny hometown. Even though LAANC is now fully supported here. No software update to fix this and no indication that they will do so. It is a major pain to fly commercial with the freakin DJI GEO Zone.

But you can't do that on their $700.00+ Smart Controller. I have to contact both FAA and DJI to get permission to fly anywhere in my little tiny hometown. Even though LAANC is now fully supported here. No software update to fix this and no indication that they will do so. It is a major pain to fly commercial with the freakin DJI GEO Zone.
But that is assuming you can't use your cell phone to access a webpage...

And did they really build a little tiny hometown with a Class B airport right in it's center?

Doesn't the FAA have regulation over what flies, how it flies and where it flies in US airspace?

If you want to really build it down, automobiles, FCC etc etc are essentially the real problem at hand, there is no uniformity or consistent application of rules across an industry in any field. Because of this lack of clear non-contradictory instruction we have such a mismatch, patchwork of incompetency such as FAA/DJI.
the FAA sets the minimum rules, nothing says the manufacturer can't make them to their standard so long as it meets or exceeds the minimum rule.... kind of like building codes..... you can build a house to minimum code, or you can build it to industry standards.

The check is in the mail, I'll still respect you in the morning and Hi I'm from the Government I'm here to help you.

Yes, but it's yet another terrible analogy on top of all the other terrible analogies presented in this discussion. DJI offers a variety of hardware products that come with various firmware restrictions. That business model is no different than many others. They are not forcing their products on anyone, and those products don't infringe on anyone's rights, constitutional or otherwise. If you don't like them, then don't buy them - there are plenty of other options. The incessant whining is very tiresome.

And really, it takes a few minutes, if I submitted to unlock a zone when I arrived at a location, chances are it would be unlocked by the time I was ready to fly.
Wow, I’ve never gotten one from DJI n less 36 hours, generally somewhere between 36-48 hours. If I request on a Friday then Is more like 72 hrs. This becomes a major pain when trying to deal with weather conditions and client construction project demands.

Why won’t DJI provide a firmware update for the Smart Controller to work with LAANC? This is just ludicrous that they won’t do this.

How hard would it be for DJI to release their drones to anyone who provided proof of a Part 107 license and expiration date? Once the license date expires the drone defaults back to DJI GEOfencing.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChickenOverload