DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do I turn off the remote first after I'm done flying?

In everything RC the transmitter is always first on and last off.

With the Mavic I don't think it really matters but it's a good habit to get into.

It's called a controller for a reason , turn it on first , switch it off last . Always have a control signal operating before the aircraft is turned on or you possibly could have a uncontrolled action from the aircraft . Just because it seems to not matter doesn't make it good practice to deviate from decades of RC protocol . I've seen flyers start their planes engine then remember the remote was off and things worked out ok . I've seen more start engines first and the throttle was wide open and they had no way of stopping it . Read the manual ,follow the manual .

Off topic but some have issues with this. To fix this just turn on the TX first :), then the Mavic with the same card in it. Stop the recording in the go app or the TX and shut down the Mavic first, then the TX and you are all done. Pop out the card and download your cinematography goodness. ;)

Off topic?

I've been flying RC since the early 1970's and I learned that you ALWAYS turn the transmitter ON FIRST and OFF LAST. Back then we were all using 72mhz and there were only so many frequency channels available so a conflict was always a possibility. The risk went WAY up if you turned your transmitter off after landing while your bird was still on. Another transmitter could easily take over control of your bird and cause all sorts of damage or injury. I never had it happen to me but I have witnessed it a few times with others. So even with the new supposedly secure 2.4ghz spread spectrum radios, I STILL turn the Transmitter on first and off last.
Its a no brainer and it totally eliminates ALL potential problems.
Why take a chance with a $1000+ investment?

Are you suppose to turn off the remote first before you turn off the mavic or does it really matter?

CW is always turn off the bird first. In the unlikely event that the MP takes off you'll have immediate control.

Power up
App
RC
Bird​

Power down
Bird
RC
App
Ritualize your site behaviour. Use checklists - even if after a while you do it in your head.

Just freshened up my CL and posted it.

Last edited:
It matters because with the older phantoms, turning the RC off first could result in the aircraft taking off. At least, that was the theory. So because of my previous experience flying the p2v, I turn the mavic off first.

I don't agree with your view that the order doesn't matter and that the question is a waste of people's time.

I deliberately try to make sure that the controller is always on whenever the Mavic is on so that the Mavic is always under control and there's little chance of it responding to a stray signal or acting independently. This is not a baseless concern. I have seen our other inexpensive quadcopter sometime respond to apparently stray signals when its controller was turned off.

In practice, this means that I turn on the controller before turning on the Mavic, and at the end of the flight I turn off the Mavic before I turn off the controller. In short, make sure that the controller is on whenever the Mavic is on.
I agree
I don't agree with your view that the order doesn't matter and that the question is a waste of people's time.

I deliberately try to make sure that the controller is always on whenever the Mavic is on so that the Mavic is always under control and there's little chance of it responding to a stray signal or acting independently. This is not a baseless concern. I have seen our other inexpensive quadcopter sometime respond to apparently stray signals when its controller was turned off.

In practice, this means that I turn on the controller before turning on the Mavic, and at the end of the flight I turn off the Mavic before I turn off the controller. In short, make sure that the controller is on whenever the Mavic is on.
I agree with wombatt55 that is my thinking as well

Reactions: Soundtekk
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d