DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do most Mavic owners fly with a tablet or with their phones?

Iphone 7+. I would like to have a mini-ipad.... But not paying for extra cellular service for mavic.

Most of the time I use my S7 Edge, the screen is nice and bright and the performance is excellent. I also have an iPad Air 2 with a mount but I rarely use that tbh.

I have always been a fan of 'go big or go home'. I use an iPad Pro 12.9" and love it. With a good look at the video, I can stay on top issues like focus and exposure. Clunky? a bit but the pad stays in my lap, the controller (arms left in folded position) in my hands. Seem the controller leeches power from the iPad because after 20 minute flight, the controller is still usually around 98% charge.

Reactions: Fplvert
I use my Droid Maxx 2 because it is what I have. I have tried it with a Lenovo tablet running Android and it works fine but in bright light outdoors you have a huge glare problem. I very rarely put my DM2 in the holder on the remote though because I just don't like the feel. I will use an extended cable and just lay it in my lap most of the time but I am going to play around with my RAM X holder to see if I can work out a better situation.

I fly with my Note 5. To me putting anything bigger than that on your Mavic controller its just too big. I like to just attach my phone and its ready to go.

Reactions: pderren
Started off with a Samsung S7 Edge but the screen was just too small. Now using an iPad mini 4.

Its a compromise, but its portable, which is the reason I went for the Mavic - so I can take it with me everywhere.

Reactions: Kiowa
I prefer to fly from inside my car, with an iPad Pro 12.9" mounted on my dash. Wish I could roof mount the antenna.

Reactions: Reuuc
I fly with my iPhone 6+ as it fits really nice in the controller. The tablet holders seem to take the transportability away from the mavic imo

I used the Galaxy S7 for the first 2 months, it worked fine and I was happy with it. Then I switched to the iPad Mini 4, which still fits nicely into the RC controller arms. I LOVE it. Almost no lag, and the difference in screen size and brightness makes a HUGE difference. I've tried using my S7 again ONE time, and immediately thought HOLY ***T! I CAN'T BELIEVE I used to fly with this tiny little screen.

Once you've had it big, it's impossible to go back to little. (And yes, that's what she said.)

Reactions: Kiowa and Reuuc
After numerous issues (disconnects, app crashes) with my android phone, I now fly my Mavic with an iPad Mini 4 with a tablet holder. Works flawlessly!

My guess is you'll find a fairly even split of people who fly with tablets compared to phones. In my case I use both my iPad Mini 4 and iPhone 6S depending on the situation. If I'm trying to travel light and ultraportable on say a biking trip i'll just use my phone. If I can take my LowePro backpack to a flying location then i'll use my iPad for the bigger screen.

Testman, do you like that Hoodivision sunshade a lot? Any complaints? I was thinking of trying that one. How small does it fold up? Any chance you could attach a picture of what it looks like folded up as small as possible? I was hoping for a shade I can easily fit into my mavic bag.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

IMG_20170508_205334.jpg IMG_20170508_205350.jpg IMG_20170508_205419.jpg
Testman, do you like that Hoodivision sunshade a lot? Any complaints? I was thinking of trying that one. How small does it fold up? Any chance you could attach a picture of what it looks like folded up as small as possible? I was hoping for a shade I can easily fit into my mavic bag.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Hoodvision works very fine and no complaints.

Reactions: Fplvert
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman