DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you agree - Have you run into the haters?

Do you run into haters?

• Yes-Often

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Yes-Once or twice

Votes: 26 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 33 51.6%

• Total voters
I have ran into haters a couple of years ago, it was more often that I wanted to.
Recently people started becoming more used to drones though.

In the 4yrs I've been flying- Never. The only response I've received while flying is either mild interest to positive curiosity. Which was honestly surprising given the horror stories I've seen here and on r/drones.

I've managed to piss off alot folks on reddit drones by saying this, but I often doubt the validity of alot of the "Karen/Ken stories" out there. I think some people get off on the drama created by fabricating us vs them situations.
I've seen the same thing on motorcycle forums and subs in my 15yr riding career. Either sportbike riders vs Harley riders or riders in general vs everyone else. But if you've ever ridden a motorcycle on the streets, you'll quickly notice that nobody really gives a **** one way or another. Human/tribal nature, I guess.

That said, I do believe there are legit stories out there of drone flyers being confronted by randos out in the wild. To that I have to wonder just what in the hell these people are doing with their drones to piss people off so bad??

Right, no one hates drones yet drones can't seem to catch a break.

Just like anything else, it's the person flying the drone or the perception of the person piloting the drone that affects the way one perceives the drone. If you are standing on a busy street corner, you get a different reaction than if you were standing at the local drone airstrip. If you are young, you get a different reaction then if you are older. If you are flying an FPV.....

If you really want to gauge how a person feels about drones, ask them if they would support legislation to make it a "right" to fly your drone. Any answer except a yes means they are a hater.

Reactions: MavicRoolzOK
If you really want to gauge how a person feels about drones, ask them if they would support legislation to make it a "right" to fly your drone. Any answer except a yes means they are a hater.

What nonsense. I'm a solid NO. Guess I'm a self-loathing hater?

You misunderstand the legal meaning of "right". It's as ridiculous to speak of a "right" to fly a drone as it is to fly a kite, drive a car, or go deep sea fishing.

We don't codify rights to such specific activities in law for what I hope are obvious reasons that don't need to be explained.

You misunderstand the legal meaning of "right". It's as ridiculous to speak of a "right" to fly a drone as it is to fly a kite, drive a car, or go deep sea fishing.

We don't codify rights to such specific activities in law for what I hope are obvious reasons that don't need to be explained.
I must be a drone hater too. There are many situations and areas where we do not have the "right" to fly a drone.

Reactions: RMuntan

Stay on topic LOL. I'm not asking for flying a drone to be a right, that's not the topic. Instead I am asking you to use it as a question to the layperson to gauge their response and their true demeanor. This isn't a wish list on how I feel about drone. LOL. I put "right" in quotes because in the context of speaking with an ordinary citizen on the street, a "right" is not the traditional speech, voting, self-defense, it's a right to do the basic things you mentioned and be free to enjoy life and liberty. The casual conversation often talks about the right to drive and the legal conversation talks about driving as a privilege so all I am asking is don't be an idiot and ask someone if people should have the privilege to fly a drone because you'll sound silly. Instead just ask "right" to fly a drone and look for anything from "yeah sure" to "hell no" to "well, I don't know about that, maybe." You'll quickly find that most people will be completely against it and will not want it to pull even with "flying a kite, driving a car, or go deep sea fishing" and therefore, you'll quickly find out they are a true hater else they would say something like you said. Get it now? :D

Reactions: Geobeck7
I must be a drone hater too. There are many situations and areas where we do not have the "right" to fly a drone.

Yeah, and most places I find that I'm not allowed to drive my car. I'm beside myself.

Stay on topic LOL. I'm not asking for flying a drone to be a right, that's not the topic. Instead I am asking you to use it as a question to the layperson to gauge their response and their true demeanor.

I got that. I also read your assertion that anything but "yes" would indicate a drone hater.

That's what I was responding to. As I said, nonsense. You can have the last word, if you so choose.

Reactions: Torque
I got that. I also read your assertion that anything but "yes" would indicate a drone hater.

That's what I was responding to. As I said, nonsense. You can have the last word, if you so choose.
Yeah I'm glad you do understand what I meant.

When you want to understand how people feel about women driving (in few places where it isn't allowed) you may ask "Should women have the right to driving?" It's a valid question and you really don't expect someone to say "No, not even men have that right" or similar. In the casual conversation, right/privilege is somewhat interchangeable in this context especially when you live in a somewhat free society. This gives you the ability to gauge the response because if you asked about "privilege" then it likely means presently it's prohibited.

Just to be clear, flying a drone is not a right; never will be. It's a "privilege" and it's not prohibited.

Reactions: Geobeck7

NO would be a hater, anything else would be fine. So negative. ☺️

Ask however you wish but if you think a person is simply curious or open-minded and you want to test them because you can't figure them out....ask them a qualifying question and you'll find out. Ask them should flying a drone be equal to driving a car or something similar depending on how the conversation goes. Some people truly hate what you are doing but they get nosy and fake being curious.

This is the problem for the law abiding drone operators....too many think that flying a drone is an inherent right and act that way ......it isn't a right, it is a privilege

This is the problem for the law abiding drone operators....too many think that flying a drone is an inherent right and act that way ......it isn't a right, it is a privilege
Understood and explained earlier, people who live in free states think about rights this way: "Right to life and liberty and the pursuit of happiness" covering a wide swath of legal activities; not in the legal sense as in a Constitutional right where you don't need a permit or a license to exercise it. There are exactly zero drone operators who believe they can operate a drone without a TRUST or a part 107. If they don't have a TRUST, it's likely because they didn't know or didn't care, not because they believe they are legally entitled to fly a drone without one. But I get your point, they sure might act like it. In general, free Americans don't walk around thinking everything is a privilege given to them by the government to be taken away for any reason. ;). Flying a drone recreationally is about as close as you can get to other hobbies like throwing a football around the city park...or, at least it is supposed to be.

Reactions: thispilothere
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25