DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you think litchi is needed now?

ryanmanchester

Reactions
Since we have waypoints and it looks impressive, is litchi still a viable option now? Obviously you have a lot more gimbal control in litchi but hopefully DJI will incorporate more gimbal actions with waypoints. Your opinions?

As it stands, Litchi has several advantages:
1) DJI Waypoints 2 requires the drone to be connected and powered on in order to plan a flight. A Litchi mission on the other hand can be setup even when not connected to the controller or aircraft. In Fact you can plan a Litchi flight on your home PC/Mac on a big screen before leaving home using mission hub.
2) The DJI interface is very fiddly to use with limited zooming of the map for accurate editing. Even on a 9.3" iPad its very difficult to select or move a POI or Waypoint. The Litchi interface is much easier to use, has better zoom and clearer menus.
3) Although flight plans can be saved in DJI Waypoints 2 you cannot give them a name or description, all you get is the date & number of points. Litchi Mission hum lets you give your missions a descriptive name and even share with others or use somebody else's flight plan of a good location.
4) Litchi does have more options than the DJI offering, although I'm sure more will come in time. Its taken months to get this far. Litchi has it now ans well tested.

Litchi supports "poor man's goggles", such as Samsung's Gear VR or any device which holds the uers's smartphone in front of their face. True, the resolution is lower than with DJI Goggles (720 vs. 1080) and there is no dual controller (smartphone + goggles) mode. On the other hand Litchi's VR mode does not suffer from DJI's very short range.

ofc numbers of users using litchi will drop dramatically, this is end days for litchi. I own litchi myself and the only reason to used is stability of dji go4.

Litchi is hands down the best for pre-planning missions with the Mission Hub and Virtual Litchi Mission. Also, I live on the top of a ridge so most of my missions are below the home point in canyons below my house. With Litchi it's no problem, but DJI evidently doesn't think negative numbers exist because Waypoints 2.0 and TapFly don't work below the home point. But I digress, if you are even halfway serious about doing cinematic waypoint missions with a minimum of setup time and hassle then Litchi is the way to go.

You can pre-plan your mission on your PC using the Litchi Mission Hub then download it to your device.
Mission Hub - Litchi

You can name missions in DJI waypoints

Yes, after you have saved them you can then go and edit the name, there is a bug however! when you click to edit the original name is obscured by the keyboard! just press back to erase the original name then type your own label for mission.

Reactions: ff22
My method of flying doesn't require pre-planning - BUT I use my drone and Litchi exclusively for panoramic photos. Litchi gives you a lot of control over how you can take a Pano; very limited control in most other programmes. So for me, stills photographer, Litchi is still needed.

As it stands, Litchi has several advantages:
1) DJI Waypoints 2 requires the drone to be connected and powered on in order to plan a flight. A Litchi mission on the other hand can be setup even when not connected to the controller or aircraft. In Fact you can plan a Litchi flight on your home PC/Mac on a big screen before leaving home using mission hub.
2) The DJI interface is very fiddly to use with limited zooming of the map for accurate editing. Even on a 9.3" iPad its very difficult to select or move a POI or Waypoint. The Litchi interface is much easier to use, has better zoom and clearer menus.
3) Although flight plans can be saved in DJI Waypoints 2 you cannot give them a name or description, all you get is the date & number of points. Litchi Mission hum lets you give your missions a descriptive name and even share with others or use somebody else's flight plan of a good location.
4) Litchi does have more options than the DJI offering, although I'm sure more will come in time. Its taken months to get this far. Litchi has it now ans well tested.

Hi, I’m slightly confused about the points you mentioned in 1 and 3. In the YouTube video I’ve watched (link below) the guy is setting his flight up and the monitor shows the aircraft is disconnected. I got the impression this meant you could set up “Off line”. He also goes on, further in the video, to name the mission in much the same way as you would in Litchi.
I have a Crystalsky monitor and, as usual, it’s one of the last to get the update. If you do have it, perhaps you could watch the link below and confirm please?
Many thanks, take care. Peter

Quick answer, Litchi is superior.

I've tested the new Waypoints 2.0 and although the interface is far better than earlier versions dedicated to the Mavic Pro and Phantom series. It's still no match for Litchi.

1. Selecting existing waypoints and POI's is often a hit or miss experience.
2. No settings to adjust the degrees of the arc in curved path missions.
3. Often POI targets don't appear center in frame, and there's no settings to offset the gimbal pitch or bearing for fine tuning. Litchi, has this.
4. Range of flight speeds are limited.
5. I've noticed in some missions the aircraft briefly stop at waypoints before proceeding to the next waypoint.
6. Once a mission completes you have to reload the mission to fly it again.
7. No provision to share saved Waypoint missions.
8. The menu panel at top of the display is a bit too high. I often hit one of the Go4 configuration buttons instead.
9. In Litchi you can insert a waypoint between two others and you can select multiple waypoints and move or modify them as a group.
10. In Litchi you can set the mission speed to 0 to manually control the flight of the mission with your sticks, which is a nice feature to dry run the mission in tight quarters.

I don't mean to sound like a Litchi fanboy. Waypoints 2.0 is brand new and needs some TLC. Hopefully with an update or 2 it will be king of the waypoint hill.

Last edited:
I think most experienced users of Litchi will disagree.
Yes hard core litchi users will still use litchi but I think rest will shift to use oryginal program made by drone producer due to waranty in case something goes wrong. Also people have less trust in 3rd party programs then oryginal dji especially when you loose conection to your craft.

Quick answer, Litchi is superior.

I've tested the new Waypoints 2.0 and although the interface is far better than earlier versions dedicated to the Mavic Pro and Phantom series. It's still no match for Litchi.

1. Selecting existing waypoints and POI's is often a hit or miss experience.
2. No settings to adjust the degrees of the arc in curved path missions.
3. Often POI targets don't appear center in frame, and there's no settings to offset the gimbal pitch or bearing for fine tuning. Litchi, has this.
4. Range of flight speeds are limited.
5. I've noticed in some missions the aircraft briefly stop at waypoints before proceeding to the next waypoint.
6. Once a mission completes you have to reload the mission to fly it again.
7. No provision to share saved Waypoint missions.
8. The menu panel at top of the display is a bit too high. I often hit one of the Go4 configuration buttons instead.
9. In Litchi you can insert a waypoint between two others and you can select multiple waypoints and move or modify them as a group.
10. In Litchi you can set the mission speed to 0 to manually control the flight of the mission with your sticks, which is a nice feature to dry run the mission in tight quarters.

I don't mean to sound like a Litchi fanboy. Waypoints 2.0 is brand new and needs some TLC. Hopefully with an update or 2 it will be king of the waypoint hill.

You can also set your waypoint and POI points elevations based on height above the ground, instead of just height above home point. A must for those that live in the mountains.

Hi, I’m slightly confused about the points you mentioned in 1 and 3. In the YouTube video I’ve watched (link below) the guy is setting his flight up and the monitor shows the aircraft is disconnected. I got the impression this meant you could set up “Off line”. He also goes on, further in the video, to name the mission in much the same way as you would in Litchi.
I have a Crystalsky monitor and, as usual, it’s one of the last to get the update. If you do have it, perhaps you could watch the link below and confirm please?
Many thanks, take care. Peter

Yes you can do that but then the height of all waypoints are restricted to 65 feet. No idea why. When you first add a new point it assumes 165ft but as soon as you select it it drops to 65 and cannot be made any higher (can go lower). As 65ft is often below the tree line it's not much use.

I'm assuming this will be fixed in a future update.

As for point 3 I believe someone has posted that once saved you can then add a name to a mission. I haven't tried it myself.

Reactions: MSPAG
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki