DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does everyone experience jello, or do most of you never see it?

niclariv

Reactions
Hi, sorry for posting two threads about the same topic. The other one is more about finding the solution to jello, and it's being mainly overlooked - probably because there are so many other threads about jello. So I'm starting a new thread to ask one important and quick question:

Have any of you Mavic flyers never experienced jello in your video? Or is it something that everyone has seen here and there depending on the lighting conditions.

I ask this to find out what to expect if I persist on trying to fix my jello when filming in bright conditions with DJI, or if I should give up and just use filters to mask it rather than returning my Mavic for service. If everyone gets it, then it's just a design flaw, but if most of you have never seen it once, then it's a problem I can actually get sorted out and hopefully never see again.

Thanks!

Are you leaving the plastic clear dome on to protect you Gimbal, I know people where having issues leaving it on when they fly and getting visual effects from it when the sun hits it just right. I leave mine off because the plastic dome can effect quality of the filming and photographs.

I have gotten it a little bit now and then. I am trying to take any shots I like twice as insurance, and I inspect the blades for any debris that might be causing an imbalance. A little grass stain on one blade is all it can take. I am glad you said that filters will mask it -- filters cannot cure the problem of micro-vibrations.

Thats correct , my gopro's always had problems when they vibrated. I was winter testing mine this last weekend for battery issues but did not have any problems with image or video quality.

Are you leaving the plastic clear dome on to protect you Gimbal, I know people where having issues leaving it on when they fly and getting visual effects from it when the sun hits it just right. I leave mine off because the plastic dome can effect quality of the filming and photographs.

No I'm not, but leaving it on was the first thing DJI support said when I emailed them about the problem. I did some test shots with it on, and though the conditions were not quite bright enough to experience actually jello, I did experience some terrible shots once the sun got in the right position.. I might be what jello looks like at a slightly lower shutter speed - kind of looks like the propellers are showing up all the way down the image. And then after that you can see the plastic illuminated by the sun and the whole thing vibrating. Terrible suggestion from DJI.. I wrote back and said she must be mistaken - there's no way DJI filmed the sample videos with the plastic cover on.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: beanbubba
I have gotten it a little bit now and then. I am trying to take any shots I like twice as insurance, and I inspect the blades for any debris that might be causing an imbalance. A little grass stain on one blade is all it can take. I am glad you said that filters will mask it -- filters cannot cure the problem of micro-vibrations.

I wish the app could detect and alert you about jello so you know if you got a shot or not. When I was testing yesterday I did the same flight 4 times (with the bubble, without, with a filter and no bubble, and with a filter and the bubble). The only shot that looks half decent is the one with the filter and no bubble, though I'm finding that the filter affects the clarity of the image a little bit, maybe hides some detail - it's the PolarPro cinema series ND16 that I was using.

But my point is that if I had done that pass 4 times without a filter or the bubble I would likely have had image issues every time because of being in just the right (or wrong) light at that part of the flight (it happened in the same spot each time - would have been a great shot otherwise, all the way down a beach then over a marina and up in to the air going out a bay).

So is there anyone out there who never gets jello or is it something we all need to deal with? I'm not sure it's my props, I tried putting them on an unfolded paper clip and they all seemed to self balance with both arms out equally.. not exactly a proper prop balancer but it seemed to do the trick.. Still I'm using a different set of props now to see if that helps - but it's overcast so no jello.. might be rainy and overcast until at least next week.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

In that link is 3 files - they're the full clips from the SD card because that's what DJI wanted me to send them. The one called jello at 1:49 has the most typical jello in it. The other clips have image distortions as I approach the far end of the beach, and I think maybe if it was brighter that might look the same as the normal jello. One of those is with the bubble as dji suggested and one without.

iPhone 6S

See an earlier writeup about jello: Would changing the exposure value reduce jello?

psjwuWe.png

What I want to know is, what region of the world and in what climate do you experience the most jello issues with your Mavic?
Based on many reports, the colder climates have more.
Colder Temperatures seem to solidify the rubber mounts a bit.
Has anyone confirmed this?

The area I'm in is a little above freezing in some of these shots.. but people have written they've had no jello in colder conditions so I think that's not it.. It's just that the mavic came out at a time when many of us are in cold locations. Still, I guess if everyone in a colder area is seeing jello and no one in a warmer area is seeing it that would do it...

The area I'm in is a little above freezing in some of these shots.. but people have written they've had no jello in colder conditions so I think that's not it.. It's just that the mavic came out at a time when many of us are in cold locations. Still, I guess if everyone in a colder area is seeing jello and no one in a warmer area is seeing it that would do it...
I am in a warm area as well as many of my clients and none of us have experienced any jello issues. An occasional glitch or 2, but nothing serious.

It looks like sun refraction to the lens at the right angel. Also looks like you can see the props at that moment at first glance, only seems to happen when you turn toward the sun. Like prop phasing reflection or something like that. Does it only do it when turning into the sun?

I fly in a very warm area and I constantly have jello. I have no idea how to get rid of it as it comes and goes but almost every video has some jello.

It looks like sun refraction to the lens at the right angel. Also looks like you can see the props at that moment at first glance, only seems to happen when you turn toward the sun. Like prop phasing reflection or something like that. Does it only do it when turning into the sun?

It was only doing that when the drone was in that position during these tests. When I did the same run with a filter I didn't see it. In the other file called jello there's some of the standard jello others have posted about.

iPhone 6S

In that link is 3 files - they're the full clips from the SD card because that's what DJI wanted me to send them. The one called jello at 1:49 has the most typical jello in it. The other clips have image distortions as I approach the far end of the beach, and I think maybe if it was brighter that might look the same as the normal jello. One of those is with the bubble as dji suggested and one without.

iPhone 6S

I saw the third video. At 1.49 I saw those micro vibrations you mentioned. I have seen in my case similar micro vibrations, perhaps when trying to speed down or after a steep move but very rarely. Maximum one or two in each flight or zero. I live in place with temperatures ranging from 5 to 15 this period of time.

So is that just to be considered normal then? Or do some people never get that in their shots?

iPhone 6S

On the video called: "Jello at 149" you had the gimbal cover (bubble) on?
In my first few flights I had it on because I was not confident about this thing and I had glare , with some specific angle of mavic towards sun. I decided then to fly without it and got much better results without glare.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying