DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does Mavic Shoot Video or Watercolor Paintings? Don’t settle. Get Involved!

HI,
Just watched this video and you are correct, "NO WATER COLOUR PAINTING" because it looks as though the video was shot 2.7k or 4k. It's really only the 1080 50p or 1080 60p resolutions the Mavic Struggles. Take a closer look at the video and you will notice there were no high speed pans or movements. This hides the low 24 or 30 frames per second stuttered movement (motion) that 2.7k and 4k produces on the Mavic or any other camera for that matter. So the trade off is jittery (High Speed) motion in 4k or 2.7k (tracking subjects at speed or panning) or Aliasing Moire and the possibility of "Water Colour Painting" (caused by Low Light and incorrect focus & Shutter Speed) image in 1080 50p 60p. It still doesn't help us that the Mavic is a little unpredictable when filming in 1080 50p 60p but this is the resolution and frame rate you will see issues not 4k and 2.7k.

Filming in 1080, 2.7 or 4K is not the reason.... I only have filmed in 2.7 k and still get it...

Granted shutter speed could cause an issue but it most certainly isn't resolution.

I don't believe style modes have an affect on raw images as raw images are just that, raw. So the only thing you will take away from your image is the entire image data. Art is still a viable option using either Litchi or the original dji go app (which as another user said when selected shows none in the profile on the dji go 4 app) perhaps an issue with job compression? I believe if you shoot in jpg your color style and profile will be transferred onto the image, so if your sharpness is too low will muddy it quite a bit. I never shoot in jpg. Also are you taking the photos off of your phone from the stream of the mavic or off of the SD card? I shot this video in art mode - 1-3-3 then color graded in fcpx. Exposure was set to auto and I believe my white balance was set to sunny.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using MavicPilots mobile app

Hi, Great Video. What resolution and frame rate did you shoot the video ?

Just watched it again and I think I can answer my own question.

Let me guess, shot in 4K or 2.7K at 24, 25, or 30 FPS.

You can see the motion blur on the fist shots with the medium speed pan.

Let us know.

Filming in 1080, 2.7 or 4K is not the reason.... I only have filmed in 2.7 k and still get it...

Granted shutter speed could cause an issue but it most certainly isn't resolution.

Possibly Miss Focus and incorrect shutter Speed and cameras ability to deal with the contrast?

HI,
Just watched this video and you are correct, "NO WATER COLOUR PAINTING" because it looks as though the video was shot 2.7k or 4k. It's really only the 1080 50p or 1080 60p resolutions the Mavic Struggles. Take a closer look at the video and you will notice there were no high speed pans or movements. This hides the low 24 or 30 frames per second stuttered movement (motion) that 2.7k and 4k produces on the Mavic or any other camera for that matter. So the trade off is jittery (High Speed) motion in 4k or 2.7k (tracking subjects at speed or panning) or Aliasing Moire and the possibility of "Water Colour Painting" (caused by Low Light and incorrect focus & Shutter Speed) image in 1080 50p 60p. It still doesn't help us that the Mavic is a little unpredictable when filming in 1080 50p 60p but this is the resolution and frame rate you will see issues not 4k and 2.7k.
To add to this, lower fps will give more data per frame captured (Mbps). Ie. 60 fps will use half the data per frame than 30fps.

Sent from my KING7 using MavicPilots mobile app

To add to this, lower fps will give more data per frame captured (Mbps). Ie. 60 fps will use half the data per frame than 30fps.

Yes, you are correct. I suppose it depends on what each of us is trying to achieve. If you are filming fast moving subjects or lots of pans then smoother (Fluid Like) motion will be a priority. if we are filming scenery and slow movement then higher resolution with lower frame rates will be best.
Still a shame we have lower quality 50p and 60p 1080 than on previous Drones such as the Phantom 3 Pro.

Last edited:
1080p 60fps is used for FPV, it does not encode well as that mode has been optimized for low latency not high quality. 4K has low bitrate (only 60Mbps, should be 100 Mbps as with P4 Pro). Seems 2.7K/30 is the best choice on Mavic. YMMV.

1080p 60fps is used for FPV, it does not encode well as that mode has been optimized for low latency not high quality. 4K has low bitrate (only 60Mbps, should be 100 Mbps as with P4 Pro). Seems 2.7K/30 is the best choice on Mavic. YMMV.
HI,
Just curious, where did your information come from regarding 1080p used for FPV ? I have read this in many forums but not sure how correct it is. I had a look at the data rate for 1080p and it is just as good as the Phantom 3? I will have another look at this though.

Hi, Great Video. What resolution and frame rate did you shoot the video ?

Just watched it again and I think I can answer my own question.

Let me guess, shot in 4K or 2.7K at 24, 25, or 30 FPS.

You can see the motion blur on the fist shots with the medium speed pan.

Let us know.
4k 30fps

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using the MavicPilots app

How does this video look? Only my 3rd flight. It think the settings were -2, -1, -1 UHD @ 24 FPS, auto WB, no post. I think it looks decent, but who knows...

Sent from my SM-N920P using MavicPilots mobile app

HI,
Just curious, where did your information come from regarding 1080p used for FPV ? I have read this in many forums but not sure how correct it is. I had a look at the data rate for 1080p and it is just as good as the Phantom 3? I will have another look at this though.

My information is also from many of the postings here and elsewhere, source apparently being DJI. There was also a good table explaining the various settings, but I cannot find it any longer :-(.
This is a related document, apparently released by DJI: https://www.droningon.co/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/DJI-Mavic-Pro-1080p-60fps-or-96fps-DroningON.pdf

Reactions: thegenerallee86
Shot some footage today and learned a few things. Mainly that the filter I used (Polar Pro Cinama Series Vivid ND4PL) helped with apparent noise in the grass but did not eliminate it entirely. Also that using auto exposure and locking EV will cause some potentially unwanted results in your footage depending on how you shoot. I noticed that when I would have the sky in my shot along with the grass, the camera would expose correctly for the sky and the grass just looked awful and muddy, vice versa if I was exposed for the darker areas the sky had no detail and was almost entirely white. Obviously having EV locked and auto exposure on will cause some varying potentially bad results. Also, I would watch my videos frame by frame from time to time as I've heard this is in some cases a better way to take stills and with the ND filter each individual frame looked awful while moving obviously caused by motion blur with a higher shutter speed, while with an extremely slow shutter speed (which I had with no ND filter previously) I am able to pull stills from the frame by frame even while moving. Here is some of the better quality footage I shot today (minus the content I was actually shooting). Still would like any feedback people have to offer on what they think of the quality of video I'm getting (4K@30, Cinelike, -1, -1, -1)

Dropbox - DJI_0016(nd4pl).MOV

Gimbal roll has nothing to do with this and my gimbal roll is lowered to a slower speed my friend ! : )
Gimbal roll is your horizon adjustment, not rate of movement. This comment was about the horizon level only.

“watercoloring is minimized” should not even be a issue to minimize !
Should not, but this is not a professional camera, obviously. I would love it not to be an issue, but it occurs under certain frame rate settings, as well as some exposure or profile settings. If you have to shoot under certain protocol or conditions, a minimal effect can be acceptable for some. Watercoloring does not exist on all footage.

What's the consensus? Looking purely at image quality for video, what resolution, fps and color profile/settings is THE best? Have anyone tested all them possible combinations side by side yet? Will for example 2,7k 30 fps upscaled to 4k look better then 4k native?

I came across this vid today with things you can do to fix it. I did the procedures, I'll see how it records in the morning...

Alright, I just had a quick test now and I can't believe it.. Something is seriously wrong ! Sun and battery gave up on me so have to do more testing tomorrow, but this alone should raise some eyebrows..

Here's a comparison between my usual D-Cinelike settings vs full auto with no colorprofile

Image 1: Manual - 1/80 - iso100 - D-Cinelike -1,-1,-1 - using ND8 Polar Pro Cine filter

Image 2: Full auto - 1/400 - iso100 - no profile 0,0,0 - using no ND filter

Image 3: Comparison @ 400%

What do you guys think?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nordrand