DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does Mavic Shoot Video or Watercolor Paintings? Don’t settle. Get Involved!

ok, just got my mavic back from DJI repair.
* The repair order DJI emailed me said they replaced the camera/gimbal under warranty. However, I received a whole new unit, but with my original remote
* burned through a full battery testing photo's and video and no longer have the "Watercolor" issue. I don't have to do any Pal-NTSC workaround or anything
* here are two jpgs. first one at sharp=0; second one at sharp=-1. All other setting normal/auto. Its night and day vs my previous mavic and in line with quality from P3P. Only issue seems to be a little blur/out of focus on the right side. Hoping this was just due to a smudge when taking the gimbal lock off, otherwise may have to RMA again :(

sharp0.JPG sharp-1.JPG

I really want to believe that the water color is an issue due to a bad camera but I can't bring myself to believe that. There are way too many users reporting the issue and I doubt they are all bad camera. I hope your issue is really fixed, but I don't think in reality it made any difference. You would need to compare same picture pin the same light conditions to be able to say if the new mavic has better quality and no water color

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Look closer at the +1 in the dark area (hole) on the left side. To me it looks like it again.

Sorry the -1

I see that, but also have that on my P3P in low light. However, this is much better than previous mavic camera where there were consistent issues in normal light. I'm thinking this may be max capability of their sensor and compression scheme. Recall this is a jpg. I also took video. Will try to post it later

Last edited:
Reactions: Dmbrody
I can produce this kind of Jpg right now what does the video look like and when you shoot in Pal does it look sharper still after they replaced your bird? I have narrowed it down to they have too MUCH NR being applied to the video and Jpg files as the sensor they have used is really small and they are pushing it to its max. If you notice that bright area of a water color issue image or video look almost ok with a bit of a glow to it and the darker areas start to look like the water color issue and thats the NR being applied ….Im guess here so this again lead me to believe its software issue and that some sensors are better than others but DJI said if they were such a problem why would they be so many great videos online? Well Yes they are BUT if almost 50% or more if you look closely you will see the water color affect. Software issue that doesn’t encode video properly with NTSC is my only out come here and DJI is being HUSH HUSH about it I And if you think those goof ball over on the other forum (DJI KEN ) have a clue well think again totally Clueless ! So shoot in Pal at 4k 24p until they some day have a fix ! Last thing Im going to say If you want change then go onto the DJI forum and start up as many threads about this issue so they have to get feed up with hearing about it ! Im kinda burnt out over it as I feel I have invested way too much with a new case 4 extra batteries a faster charger an a iPad min just to fly this water color producing bird …. Oh well Later !

Reactions: hifli
@photoboy
I feel your pain and frustration. My goal is to at least get it as good as my P3P. My video and pics were just an awful mush (unless I did the workarounds). Now at least it's usable footage w/o workarounds.
I agree there still needs to be some fine tuning of their NR algorithm.
My video looks same as jpg. Here is a YouTube link, but of course it doesn't look as good as the original from my SD card, but is not mushy like I've had in the past.
I really appreciate your energy to push this through DJI-Ken. He and Blade strike use to frequent this forum, but dropped out due to "uncontrolled bashing". On the DJI forum, DJI can silence people when they want [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: photoboy
yes it defiantly look better thanks for sharing could you just try the pal and see what it look likes?

I can produce this kind of Jpg right now what does the video look like and when you shoot in Pal does it look sharper still after they replaced your bird? I have narrowed it down to they have too MUCH NR being applied to the video and Jpg files as the sensor they have used is really small and they are pushing it to its max. If you notice that bright area of a water color issue image or video look almost ok with a bit of a glow to it and the darker areas start to look like the water color issue and thats the NR being applied ….Im guess here so this again lead me to believe its software issue and that some sensors are better than others but DJI said if they were such a problem why would they be so many great videos online? Well Yes they are BUT if almost 50% or more if you look closely you will see the water color affect. Software issue that doesn’t encode video properly with NTSC is my only out come here and DJI is being HUSH HUSH about it I And if you think those goof ball over on the other forum (DJI KEN ) have a clue well think again totally Clueless ! So shoot in Pal at 4k 24p until they some day have a fix ! Last thing Im going to say If you want change then go onto the DJI forum and start up as many threads about this issue so they have to get feed up with hearing about it ! Im kinda burnt out over it as I feel I have invested way too much with a new case 4 extra batteries a faster charger an a iPad min just to fly this water color producing bird …. Oh well Later !

PAL is 4k at 25fps, that is the only difference from NTSC AFAIK. If indeed there are no problems recording 4k at 25fps, then shouldn't we be using PAL for 4k until it is fixed?

yeepppee.jpg Guys Im super happy to report this TRY this :

Downgrade your Firmware to 000 then to 200 and then to 400 or the latest in order have your setting switched to pal before you do this. With each firmware click the reset to factory. after that refresh your controller the same way although it will not let you set to factory for some reason.

Keep setting to PAL and fly and record the switch back to NTSC while in air hit record and land then shut off in NTSC . Reboot the bird and controller and fly and record in ntsc check to see if the sharpness stays as it stayed with mine twice!!! GOOD luck maybe this fixed it I don’t want to count the chickens yet! LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: FLwaverunner
If this works for you could someone please go and put this in the thread over on DJI forum that I started and got banned from… Im out of emails to make another profile! LOL and send DJI ken MY LOVE !

ok, here are shots from today. I see no difference NTSC vs PAL. Only issue I have now is uneven focus side to side (which has been reported in another thread) <sigh>:
Iso-100, Shutter 400-500, sharpness=0, color=none.

Shot 1: NTSC 4k30

Shot 2: PAL 4k25

Shot 3: Switch back to NTSC 4k30

Shot 4: NTSC 4k30 right focus

well I spoke too soon as I got the dreaded Water color issue back ! I can see your focus issue man thats bad too !

well I spoke too soon as I got the dreaded Water color issue back ! I can see your focus issue man thats bad too !

Ironically, DJI is saying to go through the fw and factory reset steps.....painful

I never use +1. I prefer sharpening in post if needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer