DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does Mavic Shoot Video or Watercolor Paintings? Don’t settle. Get Involved!

I guys,

so I did some testings and I think I also have the issue of water color. Could you please confirm??

The video is without any post-prod & shot in 2.7k 30fps, ISO 100 (or 200), 60ss, style 0,0,0, color D-Cinelike, white balance "cloudy"
Seems noise all over & the trees are painted right?

Should I upload with something else than vimeo?

Picture seems horrible to me... but again please confirm o_O (only difference => white balance set to "sunny")

Attachments

• DJI_0184.JPG
    DJI_0184.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I guys,

so I did some testings and I think I also have the issue of water color. Could you please confirm??

The video is without any post-prod & shot in 2.7k 30fps, ISO 100 (or 200), 60ss, style 0,0,0, color D-Cinelike, white balance "cloudy"
Seems noise all over & the trees are painted right?

Should I upload with something else than vimeo?

Picture seems horrible to me... but again please confirm o_O (only difference => white balance set to "sunny")

Hi. I see a shot from a low-contrast, overcast, generally hazy day. The nearest element in the shot seems to be the home in the lower left corner, at least 400 feet from the camera.

What is your level of expectation? Considering the lighting, the distance, and the slight under-exposure of the shot, with a flat profile, I don't see much to complain about.

Reactions: Andrew F and AyeYo
Ok then here it is... cropped & still at 100%

DJI_0210.1.jpg

DJI confirmed the replacement. My seller is sending me a new combo. (don't know why not just the drone but if they insist...)

The other shot was done at the sunrise. As I didn't receive my filters yet, it is the only time it can shoot something correct... But the noise still seems odd...

Maybe I compare too much with gopro...

Take a picture with your cell phone at highest res. Upload to your computer. View it full size. It'll look the same. That's simply compression and noise reduction in a small sensor camera.

What shooting settings were that picture taken with? Also, is that a still or a video capture? I can't see your linked video at work.

Reactions: cardplayer71
Ok then here it is... cropped & still at 100%

View attachment 8569

DJI confirmed the replacement. My seller is sending me a new combo. (don't know why not just the drone but if they insist...)

The other shot was done at the sunrise. As I didn't receive my filters yet, it is the only time it can shoot something correct... But the noise still seems odd...

Maybe I compare too much with gopro...

Which image is this cropped from? Can you post the original from which this was cropped?

Reactions: AyeYo
Take a picture with your cell phone at highest res. Upload to your computer. View it full size. It'll look the same. That's simply compression and noise reduction in a small sensor camera.

What shooting settings were that picture taken with? Also, is that a still or a video capture? I can't see your linked video at work.

The picture is a still with camera settings reseted as DJI requested.

Here you go for an Honor 8:
IMG_20170315_154946.jpg

But what are the camera settings?

Please give us a full res, non-cropped photo with all camera settings listed.

The middle of the right edge of my videos is soft, no question compared to the rest of my image. I get it, different people are having different results. From what I can tell *most* Mavic Pro's have some soft areas in varying locations (usually never the whole image, but just areas) and the softness varies. To me it was not worth getting an RMA and trying again, I still like my images and certainly no one who watches my videos has anything other than amazed compliments, I think we all are just used to seeing images from the bigger P4 series (let alone P4P or Inspire). I don't want to give DJI an out but to be fair this is cheaper than the P4 *and* the camera is a tiny fraction of the size. I think the camera is the bottom line problem and you have to assume will be one of the "big" upgrades whenever the Mavic Pro 2 comes out.

The Mavic Pro is a first generation portable / foldable drone from DJI and it has kinks to be worked out. I for one am giving DJI a pass because I still like the video quality and anticipate huge further advancements to come...

If you don't have laser sharp image across the full image with Sharpness=0, RMA it. You'll be sorry if you don't. I never did for my P3P thinking it was the best I could get and my vids showed it. I did RMA my mavic (twice for focus, lack of sharpness) and now have razor sharp image e2e and am able to get very good video at 4k30 by managing exposure, shutter, sharpness depending on lighting or ND filter use. See my previous posts.
No regrets for me except waiting to RMA.
Btw- I have an Inspire 2, so know what the mavic is and is not capable of. You guys are selling it short. Hold DJI accountable, don't settle!!!! ...as this thread title suggests

Reactions: sirrraj
If you don't have laser sharp image across the full image with Sharpness=0, RMA it. You'll be sorry if you don't. I never did for my P3P thinking it was the best I could get and my vids showed it. I did RMA my mavic (twice for focus, lack of sharpness) and now have razor sharp image e2e and am able to get very good video at 4k30 by managing exposure, shutter, sharpness depending on lighting or ND filter use. See my previous posts.
No regrets for me except waiting to RMA.
Btw- I have an Inspire 2, so know what the mavic is and is not capable of. You guys are selling it short. Hold DJI accountable, don't settle!!!! ...as this thread title suggests

Laser sharp trees from 400 to 1200 feet away from a 1/2/3" sensor?

Interesting.

Laser sharp trees from 400 to 1200 feet away from a 1/2/3" sensor?

Interesting.

Test close up (<20ft). That's how you assess its current capability vs if it has an issue. Easier to see. However, the clarity for distant subject between my previous two mavics and current one is night and day.

Reactions: sirrraj
Test close up (<20ft). That's how you assess its current capability vs if it has an issue. Easier to see. However, the clarity for distant subject between my previous two mavics and current one is night and day.
Do you have some comparison so we know for sure what is the "right sharpness"?
Also you have no more water paint at all? Clearly some example would be much appreciated! :)

I sent back my unit minutes ago.

Personally I'm like you. I prefer some wait and get the best version of the Mavic V1 as I plan to use it for many videos. Also, I see already people in the future whining, trying hard to sell their faulty units when they want to get the Mavic 2... Many people will take that into account for a second hand purchase.

Actually, then, we should test our Mavics from a tripod mount against a test chart with a constant luminosity. Trees from 20 feet are not a good test, and do not create reproducible results that we can compare.

Do you have some comparison so we know for sure what is the "right sharpness"?
Also you have no more water paint at all? Clearly some example would be much appreciated! :)
I have tests of same subject for my previous and current mavic in post#683 and #421 and #742
I'm an engineer by schooling, but am pragmatic in my approach here.
I'm not trying to re-engineer DJI's drones (which or top of the line), or bankrupt DJI with a suit. Been flying DJI drones since the P1, so I know what to expect from them. Just want to enjoy flying, taking pictures, and doing this with ease. Frankly, I'm just glad technology in this area has taken off!
As such, I've come up with a pretty good approach to avoid watercolor. I can produce it if I want, but could also do this on the P3P (though much harder).
I've been using the following with no issues with watercolor and adequate motion blur.
* Color = Art, D-Cinelike (for ease of shot matching and grading only)
* Contrast = 0 (You won't get more DR on this drone. in fact, lower contrast only exaserbates potential for watercolor due to codec)
* Saturation = 0 (color profiles are suitable for me to grade)
* Shutter between 120-240
* EV 0 to +2 stops (higher if less light or difficult to get 120 shutter)
* ND8 filter during mid day sunny flights
* sharpness 0 (mainly), but occasionally -1 or +1. Depends on lighting and closeness to subject. If low light, use 0 or +1. If high altitude and far from subjects, use -1/0 (depending on lighting). If close to subjects use +1/0 (depending on lighting).
* I don't shoot at night, so no perspective on settings for that use case

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4