DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does Mavic Shoot Video or Watercolor Paintings? Don’t settle. Get Involved!

Well maybe I'm imagining it.... after you see the picture quality you can't help but think the vids are like that too.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Well maybe I'm imagining it.... after you see the picture quality you can't help but think the vids are like that too.

Yeah, I think the video is good. Here are my settings in case you're interested (I just copied them from someone on youtube)..

4K 24fps
White Balance: Cloudy (I adjust according to conditions)
Style:-1,-3,-3
Color: D-Cinelike

Hi guys,

I've just ended with long tests of my watercolor issue on Mavic. Also spoken to DJI support.
I've prepared indoor test scene with continous studio lighting, so I can achieve ISO100 and shutter between 100 and 200.
Multiple combinations of settings done, also upon recommendation of the support.

Conclusions:
for watercolor effect responsible is the Custom setting of the picture - as stated previously by AyeYo:
set to -2/-1/-1 reproduces watercolor in video/JPEG
set to -1/-1/-1 doesn't reproduce visible watercolor video/JPG

of course RAW stills are perfect.
It seems to be compression issue related to sharpness setting, not depending of light conditions

Question: is this issue recoverable by any repair/exchange by DJI or not worth to bother?
IMHO pro device (even for prosumer market) shouldn't have such issues at all.

I wondered if it was sharpness setting that was the issue - I have noticed it when background out of focus, as in the pic below which is a still grabbed off a video where focus was on rocks in foreground. My photos are fine, and I've had video since this day which is mostly fine also. Will test.

99d2104ae1ed3e273eaa33140a2b5141.jpg

Yeah, I think the video is good. Here are my settings in case you're interested (I just copied them from someone on youtube)..

4K 24fps
White Balance: Cloudy (I adjust according to conditions)
Style:-1,-3,-3
Color: D-Cinelike

How can you have it that negative... I tried -1 -1 -1 (NONE) today and it's Like someone has drawn the picture at +300%

Doesn't look bad to anyone without a sharp eye but it just looks painted. Like a filter from photoshop!

It's the same for the video too... again, ok if looking on a phone but on my 50 inch 4k TV it again looks like someone's drawn it when you pause

Worth nothing I've seen loads of videos on YouTube that don't appear to have the same issue which makes me think this is a product fault or simply a setting or lack of ND filters or something to achieve better shutter speeds?!

I wondered if it was sharpness setting that was the issue - I have noticed it when background out of focus, as in the pic below which is a still grabbed off a video where focus was on rocks in foreground. My photos are fine, and I've had video since this day which is mostly fine also. Will test.

99d2104ae1ed3e273eaa33140a2b5141.jpg

-1 -1 -1 does produce watercolours as that's what I'm getting. (JPEG)... will try raw tomorrow

Mine affects the video only, stills are fine. I just did a test changing sharpness settings but couldn't recreate the problem, therefore sharpness -1 was fine, and sharpness 0 introduced crunchy and moire. Will keep trying. Because the photos are fine I'm assuming it's a software issue rather than a sensor problem, and has been otherwise suggested probably some kind of noise reduction/interpolation. Hopefully it will be fixed in a future firmware update. DJI suggested a firmware downgrade but I'm too lazy so will keep trying to recreate it in the meantime in the hopes of narrowing it down. My test this morning was static so will have a go whilst flying as well.

Reactions: Fonejacker
Mine affects the video only, stills are fine. I just did a test changing sharpness settings but couldn't recreate the problem, therefore sharpness -1 was fine, and sharpness 0 introduced crunchy and moire. Will keep trying. Because the photos are fine I'm assuming it's a software issue rather than a sensor problem, and has been otherwise suggested probably some kind of noise reduction/interpolation. Hopefully it will be fixed in a future firmware update. DJI suggested a firmware downgrade but I'm too lazy so will keep trying to recreate it in the meantime in the hopes of narrowing it down. My test this morning was static so will have a go whilst flying as well.

Can you share your / a still please? I wonder if it's my focusing or if all mavics are different. I couldn't go any lower than -1 as that's bad enough... I'm going to have to go to 0 or 1

Or perhaps it's the lighting or my altitude being to high? Maybe there's a threshold that I'm exceeding

Here's pics of the issue, one is a photo and one is a still from the video, pretty obvious which is which! Taken in the same flight. Ignore the whacky colours, I didn't bother to match them. The issue is more on the foreground in this instance, must have focussed on the hills.Video Still_1.10.1.jpg DJI_0008.jpg

Reactions: Fonejacker
Wtf is going on?!?! Yes it's clear as day! I wish I had photos like that! My video and photos are the top picture! What am I doing wrong? Is it a faulty MP?

Here's pics of the issue, one is a photo and one is a still from the video, pretty obvious which is which! Taken in the same flight. Ignore the whacky colours, I didn't bother to match them. The issue is more on the foreground in this instance, must have focussed on the hills.View attachment 5239 View attachment 5237

Wish I had a photo like yours! How can I have it on both? Did you just hover and take a photo and then filmed it?

Wish I had a photo like yours! How can I have it on both? Did you just hover and take a photo and then filmed it?

You can take photos while in video mode. Just press the camera button on the right side (back) of your RC. Doesn't affect the video at all. Just adds a photo.

Sent from my Mavic Pro using OcuSync

You can take photos while in video mode. Just press the camera button on the right side (back) of your RC. Doesn't affect the video at all. Just adds a photo.

Sent from my Mavic Pro using OcuSync

Afaik this switches it to photo mode and off video. At least it has done so in my experience.

OK that pretty much confirms it's a compression/software issue then - glad you've got your stills sorted.

OK that pretty much confirms it's a compression/software issue then - glad you've got your stills sorted.

Thanks pal. So maybe they'll sort that then? Everything appears ok on my laptop but when I convert to MP4 to playback via 4k TV it looks nice but still with that watercolour look.

I've tried recording straight as an MP4 but still getting it. Video footage looks ok on my none 4k laptop. It's when it goes on the Tv.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078